Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134730 times)

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »
Had my first test! Went to a small club and set up cardioid (at 853) and omni (ca-14) mics too because my previous card recs didn't sound really good in that room. Recorded 7 hardcore bands. Though I have no problem with synching, its really comfortable that you dont need to synch before mix! :) Cardioid is louder, it sounded better this night. This is not really a good sounding room!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdp6irqiaGY&list=UUcl-yhr8CnZZI7u6KUbxBjQ&index=3

at 853 > bb > Tascam DR-2d Mic in
ca-14 > ca-9200 > Tascam DR-2d line in

Set input to low and 97. I chose to insert my battery box to mic in because that one can not change input level, as ca-9200, so I could set it on DR-2d. Mic input was set around 70. While reading here that under 67/95 level the sound could be brickwalled(?) I was afraided a bit what if the sound is too high? Because I go to loud rock shows, as you can see at the sample. But with these settings the volume is even quieter than I expected, so Im calm I dont have such a problem.
Even I could have added a +10 db gain on ca-9200 (volume was set max) and mic level could have been 80+

Used Duracell nimh 2450 batteries (recorded in 16/44), recorded about 3,5 hours, but seemed like it could be enough for 7 hrs.

Littlie dislike: I got used to on Edirol that remaining time means full on the card. DR-2d shows what remains of 2gb, as I remember. It isn't really important information for me.
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »
It's not displayed on the screen while recording, but you can check the how much unused space remains on a card by going into the file menu and selecting infromation/card.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #212 on: April 17, 2013, 07:42:23 AM »
^ Here is one of my better pulls, although not done with omnis:
http://archive.org/details/KungFu2013-02-02.akg.sbd.mix

I have made many six track recordings with two Dr-2ds, with varying success at synching them in post. In my limited experience I don't think there is very much drift between the two recorders.
Now that I just got a DR-680 things will be a lot easier.

Edit to add: here are two six channel recording done on two DR-2ds:  http://archive.org/details/flabberghaster2012-04-14.mix , http://archive.org/details/flabberghaster2013-01-11.mix
(ps. the Kung Fu set was mixed from two different DR-2ds.)
Thanks danny, I'll give those a listen.  I would also be using two machines in order to get five or six channels.  With your particular DR2ds, did you just need to align the resulting files which took care of the entire set, or did you find you needed do more such as re-aligning each tracked song or time-stretching one file set slightly to match the other?  It is nice having all six channels perfectly aligned and sync'd using the DR680, I think you'll really dig it.

I enjoy working with my recordings in post, but the concept of drift and the procedure for stretching/shrinking a track to mix different sources together are subjects that I have not found easy. I find that mixing two (stereo) tracks made on the same recorder isn’t too difficult and can be a rewarding effort. I started out using MixPad because I had it and was familiar with it, but now find Audacity easier and more reliable to work with.

I have only aligned entire sets, going by eye and ear.  I sometimes wonder how many milliseconds off one can get away with in a two hour set, and there are a few shows that I would like to try to save by aligning individual songs, but for the most part I find little difference between the recorders. I have put the mathematics lessons of shrinking/stretching on a shelf for some future day. Having the DR-680 would seem to push that day even further away, although I’ll bet I am mixing tracks from it and a DR-2d or two sometimes just for kicks!

There are some shows that I have multiple sources for that I can tell something is amiss when trying to align/synch them, and I have begun to appreciate the concepts through the experience of the visual display of the waveforms. When overly confounded or frustrated I usually give up and either just upload the aud, or the files sit in a folder for future dalliance. There are a few mixes I uploaded to archive early on that I should probably revisit.

BTW, I have nothing but good things to say about the DR-2d, and I love the DR-680!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:45:37 AM by danny3 »

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #213 on: April 27, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but is there anything special I need to do to set up for recording two inputs, other than setting the Dual to "line"? The manual says this will give you microphones + line in, I'm assuming the internals go away when you plug something in.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #214 on: April 27, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
I have my input setting set to "mic" and then the dual setting at "line".  The internal mics are indeed replaced by whatever you plug into the mic-in.  You should also set the line-in level beforehand to where you'd like it to be( I usually use 100), because it's not adjustable once you are recording.
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline The Godfather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
Hey guys I need some assistance regarding my Recently purchased DR-2d. I've read both threads, and have soaked up all your advice and I am thankful for it. I love this recorder and it is an upgrade from my Sony MZ-R37 (I'll forever love MDs). I, however am still having a problem with the DR-2d with it not showing a recordable time greater than 3:22:34 but the problem is with the sd card(s) I've used. Ive used cards recommended in this thread (transcend and Kingston), but I've also tried out a different card, and it was something similar to the 2+ year old tascam tested sd cards list for the DR-2d. All the cards used still show 3:22:34 remaining no matter what size card I put in.

I have tried:

transcend 32gb class 10
Kingston 16gb class 6,
Sandisk 32gb class 4

I have used all these 3 cards in the DR-2d and none of them are showing the correct recordable time left after doing a quick format and a full format. Ive put the unit on standby with mics plugged in, and no mics at all and still nada. I returned the sandisk card b/c I was surprised that it could have been the card but when I bought the Kingston and Transcend cards and tried them I became annoyed.  All 3 cards however show their respective sizes under the information tab of the menu screen. I even have wiped out all the cards and have done initialize on all of them.

I've contacted tascam directly and still haven't heard back from them. (I assume ill hear from them in a few days)What do you guys think my problem is? Do I have bad unit? (I am using ver 1.3). Im a bit edgy using this to tape, i mean i could use the stock card, but i bought bigger cards for the same purpose. This is frustrating, but most importantly to me it hurts my confidence in relying on this recorder for festival shows, or even 1 act shows. Any help and/or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:03:31 PM by The Godfather »
Have Mics. Will travel.

Offline yltfan

« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2013, 12:29:30 AM »
I have my input setting set to "mic" and then the dual setting at "line".  The internal mics are indeed replaced by whatever you plug into the mic-in.  You should also set the line-in level beforehand to where you'd like it to be( I usually use 100), because it's not adjustable once you are recording.

Don't both levels adjust together?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2013, 01:29:39 AM »

Don't both levels adjust together?

No, unfortunately, only the mic-in is adjustable via the DR2d's button controls.  The line-in is fixed to whatever level has been set beforehand.  The only way to affect the levels of the line-in source while recording is to do so with an external preamp. 
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline yltfan

« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2013, 02:04:49 AM »
^ Thanks for clarifying. I thought that "100" meant 100% of the mic level...
I like this little deck, but some of the controls are pretty non-intuitive. Time to read everything on here about it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
All the cards used still show 3:22:34 remaining no matter what size card I put in.

It's working correctly.  It displays the time remaining while writing to the current file.  Each file is limited to 2GB maximum before a new file starts automatically. As long as the card has more than 2GB free, the maximum time remaining on the display will only change if you adjust the sample rate, bit depth, or file size limit settings.  To see how much space is remaining on the card you need to go to the Information/Card screen tab.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline shownomarcy

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
All the cards used still show 3:22:34 remaining no matter what size card I put in.

It's working correctly.  It displays the time remaining while writing to the current file.  Each file is limited to 2GB maximum before a new file starts automatically. As long as the card has more than 2GB free, the maximum time remaining on the display will only change if you adjust the sample rate, bit depth, or file size limit settings.  To see how much space is remaining on the card you need to go to the Information/Card screen tab.

yes, thats what I also noted.
"Littlie dislike: I got used to on Edirol that remaining time means full on the card. DR-2d shows what remains of 2gb, as I remember. It isn't really important information for me."

Btw I had my first test of SBD+AUD recording. First I put SBD to Mic in accidently and it was too loud. And AUD in Line in was too quiet. I could have asked the soundman but I either changed the inputs and than was great. (line in 98, mic in ~75) This gears line in seems to be quieter than Edirol R-09HR. I needed to set lower the input level, but on DR-2d it could go with max vol, I think.

Not really important, I remember file name reset was mentioned, what was the answer to reset its counting, only by factory reset?
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline The Godfather

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »

Thank you for the response and info. It is much appreciated.
Have Mics. Will travel.

Offline olli66

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2013, 02:26:50 AM »
hi guys,
I need help regarding my Tascam...it's a new unit and I am an audio taper newbie. I taped one Gaslight Anthem show and one Frank Turner show yet and so far no problems. But this weekend I have been to two Springsteen shows and those are much longer (as you know). My SD card didn't work first night. I don' know what happened. I set the levels and it started. Put everything in my pocket and had a hard time to not sing along as I usually do and after the show my Tascam was off. I was pissed because it died and if I had known I would have at least sang along...
I couldn't tell what the problem was. Back at our room I tried the SD in my laptop. Broken files. I tried to reformat the SD card with the Tascam but the format screen just just froze and nothing happened. Then I formated the card again with my laptop and then it worked again. I hope it stays that way. Anyone ever experienced problems like this?
Next problem: second night's show just 2 hours or so taped. I used the right battery settings and fully charged Duracell 2400mah batteries and, of course, latest firmware on my Tascam. Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
1. Get a new card
2. Maybe consider using lithiums for Springsteen
3. Habit I do when breaking in a new card...format it and then let it run for the full length of the card. Make sure it doesn't write time-out due to bad sectors.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline eric66

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2013, 04:34:10 AM »
This is a typical Tascam DR-07/DR-2D problem. Sometimes you will get an error but
to me this always happened during the first 10/15 minutes of a recording.
So my advice, turn on the recorder plusminus 30 minutes before a show starts, start the recording and check
if everything works fine after 15 or 20 minutes.
If not, change SD-card and start recording again!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com