Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: modSBM-1 users  (Read 3036 times)

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
modSBM-1 users
« on: June 18, 2005, 12:34:32 PM »
I picked up a modSBM-1 a couple of months ago to use with my M1. I just got around to testing the SBM with a POC-DA12SP to try it optically to my JB3 and found the port to not work with this cable for optical transfers. I tried testing the setup with fresh batteries and with the SBM power supply to no avail. I did also confirm the POC cable to be working properly as it transmits just fine between my M1 and my JB3. The "optical in" plug of the POC cable does light up as if is ready to transfer but I get no signal to the JB3. The light on the optical plug does seem dim, but there is no obvious intermittent connection which could be causing the failure.

If anyone uses an Oade modSBM-1 with a POC-DA12SP and can confirm that this setup works, please let me know.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
Re: modSBM-1 users
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
I have used that cable with the modSBM several times, though not currently, and never had a problem.  I purchased the cable new so there were no potential issues with it, as you may have with a used cable I guess.  Good luck.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 02:40:19 PM »
The cable was bought brand new by myself and only used a couple of times between my M1 and jb3. As mentioned above, I did test the POC cable with my M1 and it is a known good cable.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 03:08:18 PM »
i know the m1 is 3.3v and the sbm1 is 5v for the +voltage so you that cable may have a 3.3v optical tx/rx in it.  but the thresholds of all the optical tx/rx i use range from 3-6 volts but there are different models designed to run @ 3 or 5v.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 08:48:03 PM »
If anyone uses an Oade modSBM-1 with a POC-DA12SP and can confirm that this setup works, please let me know.
dB-

thats all i have been using for over a year now with no issues

mp-2 > modSBM-1 > POC-DA12SP > JB3

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 10:05:27 PM »
Unfortunately I'm thinking the 7-pin port has had it. Looks like I'll be calling Sony parts first thing on Monday and diving in for some component level repair...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 11:14:23 PM »
You should look into Todd R's optical mod for the SBM-1.  You can probably sell the sony optical cable for almost as much as the mod, and end up with a functional SBM-1 to boot. 

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 03:50:57 AM »
I picked up a modSBM-1 a couple of months ago to use with my M1. I just got around to testing the SBM with a POC-DA12SP to try it optically to my JB3 and found the port to not work with this cable for optical transfers. I tried testing the setup with fresh batteries and with the SBM power supply to no avail. I did also confirm the POC cable to be working properly as it transmits just fine between my M1 and my JB3. The "optical in" plug of the POC cable does light up as if is ready to transfer but I get no signal to the JB3. The light on the optical plug does seem dim, but there is no obvious intermittent connection which could be causing the failure.

dB-

maybe I did not understand correctly what you are trying to do but ... shouldn't you be using the "optical out" of your POC-DA12SP to send a signal from the SBM-1 to the JB3 ?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 10:08:06 AM »
Unfortunately I'm thinking the 7-pin port has had it. Looks like I'll be calling Sony parts first thing on Monday and diving in for some component level repair...
dB-

That's what it sounds like it could be to me.  Do you have a 7pin>coax cable you could use to try and feed a digital signal from the sbm-1>a digital coax input, as that would help further rule out the 7pin>optical cable as the culprit.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 01:25:40 PM »
Yes, I did try two other 7-pin to coax cables (one Oade, one CoreSound) and neither would work. I'm hoping the problem is within the pins in the port wearing out and not something within the circuitry which may be failing. We will see. Anyone have a spare Sony digital 7-pin i/o port they want to sell?
dB-

CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 01:04:15 PM »
RIP, my taping career: 10/10/2003-10/6/2007

140/LC3 / MP-2 / Kind / Oade LS Mod SBM-1 / 7pin-opti / JB3 / D7 | SGE 100 / A27M / Manfrotto Black Stacker / Kata Koala-1 | 391/3/actives / c1000 / UA5 (P-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com