Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD20 or digimod UA5 in front of pmd670  (Read 3146 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
AD20 or digimod UA5 in front of pmd670
« on: February 17, 2007, 11:32:23 PM »
would appreciate any of your thoughts on this........
I recently got a good deal on a stock pmd670 and after having read all the reviews on it's shortcomings in the preamp/ad convert area I was looking for opinions on a budget front end.

AD20 would probably be more stealthy (which I prob do more of)with an AT825 one point stereo (no +48v required) and runs off batteries yes?

UA5 seems to be the popular choice for open rig taping and +48 for c4s..........

have listened to several shows recorded with (similar to) each setup and have kind of formed my own opinion but....

watyugot?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: AD20 or digimod UA5 in front of pmd670
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:49:58 AM »
UA5.  You can upgrade it with mod slater if you want.  Offers 48v if you need.  Lots of options...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 12:53:56 PM »
I recently got a good deal on a stock pmd670 and after having read all the reviews on it's shortcomings in the preamp/ad convert area I was looking for opinions on a budget front end.

AD20 would probably be more stealthy (which I prob do more of)with an AT825 one point stereo (no +48v required) and runs off batteries yes?

UA5 seems to be the popular choice for open rig taping and +48 for c4s..........

have listened to several shows recorded with (similar to) each setup and have kind of formed my own opinion but....

watyugot?

If you want low profile and great sound, go with AT822 directly into Edirol R09.  Seriously, no preamp, just directly mic in/low-sens.  I love this combo, even for open cases where you want trouble free quick setup.

If you want digital input, go with the UA5 over the AD20.  No comparison here IMO.  Even the stock UA5 sounds better than the AD20.  The AD20 has low noise, but IMO it sounds "flat".  I'm thinking this was intended for voice (film) and not so much for music.  Not everyone agrees with me on this, though.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

stirinthesauce

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »

watyugot?

If you want low profile and great sound, go with AT822 directly into Edirol R09.  Seriously, no preamp, just directly mic in/low-sens.  I love this combo, even for open cases where you want trouble free quick setup.

If you want digital input, go with the UA5 over the AD20.  No comparison here IMO.  Even the stock UA5 sounds better than the AD20.  The AD20 has low noise, but IMO it sounds "flat".  I'm thinking this was intended for voice (film) and not so much for music.  Not everyone agrees with me on this, though.

Richard

Yeah, that is about right.  I know people that own both boxes.  Some of them prefer the ad20 over the ua-5.  I've owned both boxes though never a stock ua-5.  Everyone's ears tell them different things.  Go with what your ears prefer.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »
so what, am i evil cooker now?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 07:46:58 PM »
good as in skilled at baking, frying and roasting......no halos here.
help me get into a UA5 for my newbie rig and you will be top cooker!!!
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
I haven't done that many comparisons, but I believe that I actually like the sound from my AD20 better than my digi mod UA5.  I use the UA5 all the time though due to the simplicity of having phantom power, pre & AD all in one box.  Probably depends a lot on the mics as well.  My digi mod UA5 sounds 'thinner' to my ears than my AD20.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
FWIW I did a bake-off with both of these in combo with the MHBO603a/KA200 mics.  Check out the results in this preamp forum, but overall I thought the UA-5 was marginally better because it has better presense and accuracy, but if you look at the ratings I also found that the UA-5 was really thin (like a previous commenter mentioned), so if it's warmth you are after, then maybe the AD20, but if it's accuracy then maybe the UA-5. 

The thing to do though is do a search on Live Music Archive and download a couple of songs from three or four of the better sounding shows with these preamps and then form your own idea of which sounds best to you.

Offline junonato

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 05:38:43 PM »
imho it depends on the mics!  large vs small diaphram!  ua5small, ad20large!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com