Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 17096 times)

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:What should I do?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2003, 10:37:49 PM »
gotta  agree with Jonny.  once ya get goin' you'll find yourself searchin' for shows to tape.  smaller shows are some of the most fun times you'll have.  can't count on only taping the big boys all the time.  least i don't.

~S  

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2003, 10:39:05 PM »
yeah thats true but to spend close to 1600+ on something that i might only use 10x at most is kinda scary...

jpschust

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2003, 10:43:29 PM »
this is true... its really a decision you are gonna have to make... the way i see it is that I try to run my rig as MUCH as possible to make it as cost effective as possible... at least in my mind

Jonny

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2003, 10:49:00 PM »
this is true... its really a decision you are gonna have to make... the way i see it is that I try to run my rig as MUCH as possible to make it as cost effective as possible... at least in my mind

Jonny

That is my point at 10 shows thats almost 200 bucks a show + or - and counting tickets... But running at 30 its like around 50 bucks a show... a little more reasonable   :-\

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2003, 01:24:36 AM »
see, this is the whole question.  how much are the experiences/ friends made/ total enjoyment of taping worth to you?  to peeps like me and Jonny, it's worth a whole lot.  but like he said, we're addicted.  if you're worried about the money, then why not think about just patching for a year, and see if your obsession grows?  if not, then maybe it's not your bag.  

i got into taping originally to ensure i got quality copies of the shows i went to personally.  the 'net was not around yet, and this was a hit and miss process at best back then.  everything was done by snail mail, or phone.  i didn't wanna grovel to tapers wherever i went to spin me analog tapes of the shows.  (before CDR as well!).  

i got into taping without ever patching for even a show, but that was my preference.  nothing wrong with patching/ converting/ spreading shows.  there's a place for everyone in this whole gig.  not everyone has to run a rig.  if you're worried about the bread, i'd say patch for awhile and see how it goes.  just my .02

peace

~S  

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2003, 08:32:21 AM »
Guys thanks alot for the help... havent decided what I am going to do yet. The only reason I wanted to do this because some band that i enjoy arent getting taped, but with not tour schedule besides DMB's out i dont know how many shows I'll be hitting and if they dont come in with a bunch of tour dates, im affraid that it might be too expensive per show... I'm still not sure, but thanks again.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2003, 10:05:08 AM »
One thing to keep in mind, Geoff, is that if you buy used gear, you can recoup almost all of your cost if you decide to get out of the game down the road.

New gear depreciates around 25-30% almost at the time of purchase.  If you buy used gear, it doesn't depreciate another 25-30% just because it's changed hands.

And I can mirror what others have said: I'm addicted, and taping has encouraged me to get out to shows I wouldn't have attended otherwise.  More music is good!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2003, 10:18:05 AM »
I'm looking through my schedule right now and can possibly fit in 5 more shows... Thanks to DMB deciding to hit the east coast late i have to try to fit it in in between school and golf. but i can possibly hit spac both nights with a drive back after each. then a saturday at Meadows and then a friday and saturday at Tweeter... Still have to run it past my sister, aka my driver. But if I can make it to about 20 shows this year and tape them all I wont mind putting the money into it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2003, 10:33:13 AM »
But if I can make it to about 20 shows this year and tape them all I wont mind putting the money into it.

Don't forget about next year...and the year after...etc.

"My name is Brian, and I'm addicted to taping."
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2003, 10:40:48 AM »
But if I can make it to about 20 shows this year and tape them all I wont mind putting the money into it.

Don't forget about next year...and the year after...etc.

"My name is Brian, and I'm addicted to taping."

ahahaha.. yeah true... i dont know what im going to do i would really like to do it so i dont know. But thanks again for the advice

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2003, 06:32:32 PM »
Guys I think i made my decision... my friend gave me his tour dates and there are alot there... So it looks like its a go

jpschust

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2003, 07:18:12 PM »
Sweet Geoff!  Hope our community can be as much help to you as possible!

Jonny

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2003, 07:29:26 PM »
Sweet Geoff!  Hope our community can be as much help to you as possible!

Jonny
thank you you all have been a big help so far. Thanks again

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2003, 10:50:55 AM »
just grabbed another show. David Gray July 17th...  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com