Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 6 channel options - Zoom H6  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
6 channel options - Zoom H6
« on: October 24, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
It seems that H6 with the extra XLR capsule attachment is an okay option if I want 6 xlr inputs.

I want to Record loud concerts in small clubs, and get a sBD feed.  The zoom h6 would allow me 4 mics on stage and a stereo from the sbd.

The zoom doesn't look solid, but it has the right features.  And the price is right.

anything particularly wrong with the zoom h6.  Or is there a better option.  would the MixPre 6 be the ultimate solution, or is that the ocean.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 6 channel options - Zoom H6
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 06:51:40 PM »
I've used an H6.  It's a decent unit, but I strongly dislike the trim pots which are too easy to move.

If you're going for a solid 6-channel recorder, I think the best value right now is the Zoom F6.  I love mine so far.  It is double the price of the H6, but it is in a different league in performance and features.  A SD MixpPre-6 II is very similar in features, but $200 more and only 4 balanced inputs.

The only thing to watch out for in your application is that the balanced inputs are XLR only; not XLR/TRS combo jacks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:21:08 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »
Tascam DR-680MKII going for $400 new now. CH 5/6 are not XLR, but they are balanced TRS 1/4" and can do phantom if needed. Not all that friendly for adjusting individual levels on the the fly, though.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »
I would second the dr680I/II can get them on the cheap
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:59:38 AM »
DR680_Mk2 is very hard to beat for value right now.  Does everything you want.  Love mine, although it's now a second rig recorder.

Level adjustment does work a bit differently than other recorders so I understand Jeff's comment, however I find the 680 makes it easier for me to rapidly adjust levels the way I want them than any other multi-channel recorder I've used extensively.  It allows me to rapidly adjust the level of individual channels, of pairs, or of large multi-channel groups, quickly and easily without going into menus, and does not have a problem with accidental mis-adjustment.  I wish level adjustment and channel ganging on my other multi-channel recorders worked the same way.

The new Zoom F6 has been much anticipated and is just now getting into the hands of users. Voltronic is one of the first here to use it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lastnightsverse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 04:09:05 PM »
Curious if anyone has advice about decibel levels for taping live sets. it is pretty hard to see them on the small screen. any tips are appreciated!

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 05:06:53 PM »
I have the H6. Basically retired it, really dislike the levels knob arrangement and monitoring is very clunky.

If you only need six tracks, then the tascam 680 is a much better option than the H6. The Zoom F8 is a lot like an improved 680 if you wanted to go up a level but still very affordable.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline lastnightsverse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 05:37:39 PM »
i just bought the h6 actually and i think it will suit my needs just fine. i'm a musician and mostly want it to record my friends/peers local sets for personal enjoyment.

Online Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 02:37:10 AM »
Like Mr. Hose, I have the H6, had high hopes for it and it is junk.  The level adjustments are really clunky and have to be taped down securely and I think the A-D function is a bit noisy, like hiss.  I hate the unit and would only use if there was no other option. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline lastnightsverse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 02:55:55 PM »
Like Mr. Hose, I have the H6, had high hopes for it and it is junk.  The level adjustments are really clunky and have to be taped down securely and I think the A-D function is a bit noisy, like hiss.  I hate the unit and would only use if there was no other option.

it's been a nice addition to my rig when I connect it with my real mics (AKGs) but I thought the Xy capsule included was total crap, sounded awful

Online Scooter123

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 12:28:05 PM »
I pulled the XY device off, and used it as a line in.  Very clunky unit.  In my opinion, two or three DR2ds are smaller and easier to connect via stealth,  which is what I do. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

mcfoster

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 01:04:45 PM »
FWIW, I just picked up the zoom F6 used for450.  After a couple weekends with it I like it a lot. Hopefully it stays that way No 1/4 inputs but I knew that going into it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 02:41:12 PM »
I pulled the XY device off, and used it as a line in.  Very clunky unit.  In my opinion, two or three DR2ds are smaller and easier to connect via stealth,  which is what I do.

The challenge with simultaneous DR2ds is the lack of shared clock and transport controls.  No way getting around the clock issue without surgery beyond my abilities, but you can try positioning them so that a single IR remote will start and stop them with a single button push, but its finicky and doesn't always work.  I've run two in that stealth arrangement a few times but its a PITA.  I thought about rigging up some sort of IR repeater with a single IR input linked to individual IR LEDs - one feeding each DR2d.. or maybe even a simple fiber-optic light-pipe bundle routing IR output from the remote to The IR sensor of each recorder individually, but never went further with that than the thought balloon.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Scooter123

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »
I'm not familiar with the F6, but if it is anything like its big brother the F8, the unbalanced 1/4" inputs are in the center of the XLR inputs. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Online Scooter123

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 02:47:50 PM »

The challenge with simultaneous DR2ds is the lack of shared clock and transport controls.  No way getting around the clock issue without surgery beyond my abilities, but you can try positioning them so that a single IR remote will start and stop them with a single button push, but its finicky and doesn't always work.  I've run two in that stealth arrangement a few times but its a PITA.  I thought about rigging up some sort of IR repeater with a single IR input linked to individual IR LEDs - one feeding each DR2d.. or maybe even a simple fiber-optic light-pipe bundle routing IR output from the remote to The IR sensor of each recorder individually, but never went further with that than the thought balloon.

Eh, Time alignment is no big deal, takes about 30 minutes per recorder using Adobe CC2017, although Mr. Hose will tell you that Adobe3.0 is more accurate in stretching.  I find Adobe 3.0 to be really wierd in that in the interface it does not display time markers, but it does in the wave form.  I will say that I learned to time align from my sensei Mr. Hose and have about 500-1000 hours of experience.  Just place markers every 10-15 minutes, figure out the percentage difference (or use a spread sheet with formulas) and do the stretching to at least 5 decimal points.  I can't steath anything bigger than a DR2d
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com