Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommended headphones for best bass response?  (Read 4408 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Recommended headphones for best bass response?
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
I use a pair of cheap headphones for EQing my live recordings and, of course, the bass i hear on the headphones is nothing like the bass i hear when i burn the CDR and play back on my hi-fi.
I realise that this is the case to some extent with most (all?) headphones, but can anybody out there give me the benefit of their experience with headphones with excellent bass response? I tend to have to roll off the bass on my recordings, but I do like a good bass presence to remain, so I'd like to use headphones to give me a good idea of when i'm going too far on the roll-off.  Budget not a big issue, within reason. Thanks in advance.
Paul

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Recommended headphones for best bass response?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:04 AM »
Are you using open backed headphones now?

The only open backed headphones I'd come close to recomending are the Sennheiser line of HD650 or the HD800 (maybe...). For close backs, I think the quanitity aproaches a reasonable amount in comparison to standard speakers, but it's through resonances and not necessarily raw energy. Denon D7000 comes to mind (and to an extent, the D5000 which has more of a subwoofer effect) as does the Ultrasone Edition series. At the cheap end of the spectrum, the ATH-M50s might fit the bill, or at least get you close enough that you know what the differences are between the headphones and your speakers.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »
Check out the Sony MDR-V6 or 7506. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »
If bass is what you want, try out the 80-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro cans. Not only do they have enough bass to do justice to pipe organ, but they also have beautiful detail to go with it.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
If bass is what you want, try out the 80-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro cans. Not only do they have enough bass to do justice to pipe organ, but they also have beautiful detail to go with it.

These are what I have and am a bass freak. Love them and did try the Senns, but the Beyerdynamics won out.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:19:02 PM »

I have the 250ohm DT770's and think that they sound much better, but do need more power. I think the 80ohm version has a mid range boost that doesn't work for me, well, it doesn't work for the EQ'ing of my hearing loss :)
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 03:42:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.

The Beyerdynamics seem just what i'm looking for. So if I am primarily listening back over my standard pc soundcard, would i better with the 80 ohm low impedance version rather than 250 ohm? I would also occasionally use them with my hi-fi.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.

The Beyerdynamics seem just what i'm looking for. So if I am primarily listening back over my standard pc soundcard, would i better with the 80 ohm low impedance version rather than 250 ohm? I would also occasionally use them with my hi-fi.

Yeah, the 250 ohm ones need a headphone amp to sound their best.   Check headphone.com for other closed models too. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com