Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My new playback toys :)  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
My new playback toys :)
« on: May 27, 2005, 05:24:51 PM »

Brought them home last night. Slightly different stands, but they sound great!  Powering them with a 50watt NAD integrated, playback on a Nakamichi MB1s CD changer, Tascam DA302 DAT, Sony ES series tape deck and crappy sony turntable (though I got a nice Grado cartridge for it last night as well, which really helps).   Totally changes the playback experience with better speakers though!
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: My new playback toys :)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 05:30:19 PM »
How do they sound?  Warm, transparent?

+Toys :)
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 05:45:43 PM »
I find them to be quite clean with great detail. My previous pair of speakers were towers that had tons of bass and mids, but crap highs.  I was a bit worried going to a large bookshelf model that I'd miss the low end, but the 602's still have a lot of kick.  I compared them in the listening room with the 601s and the soundstage is MUCH more impressive IMO. Well worth the price difference.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 05:56:55 PM »
If those are fresh from the factory, you might find that the bass improves over the next couple hundred hours.  I noticed that with my speakers - deeper and tighter bass.  And mine were half broken in when I got them.

I'll be really interested to hear how you like them after you've had them in your system a few hundred hours.  I'll bet you like them even more.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

BobW

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 06:44:44 PM »
+T for Bowers and Wilkins toys !

What do you think of the tip-top-end ? Airy and fast enough for you ?   ;D

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 12:51:26 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I've been considering these for music/2ch theater.  The one question is the low-end, as that's the only real complaint I've come across...wonder how they handle a good ol' cruddy show.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 01:01:57 PM by phoam »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 09:08:33 AM »
I once had a pair of those and they really opened up after a good 100 hours or so.  At first I wasn't impressed much with the bass, but after a couple weeks they sounded great.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 06:52:31 PM »
I've got no problems with the bass response. I'm using them in a relatively small room (maybe 10x15) and I leave the 'Bass EQ' setting enabled on my amp to boost the bottom slightly, but even without it's good.  I figure that if I ever move to somewhere that is a much larger space, I can easily add the B&W sub from the same series, but at this point there's absolutely no need.  I've mostly been playing vinyl and studio recordings over the past few days, but I did pop in the Eaton remaster of 5-8-77 GD and boy, did it soud AMAZING.  The warm, reverb-heavy betty boards really shine on these speakers.

Definately worth investigating for a 'poor man's high end' or if you have neighbours or roommates.  If you've got a huge listening room and like cranking your tunes at top volume the 603s might be more your style, but I certainly have no complaints. Plus they look great!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 09:59:11 AM »
+T

Those are beautiful!
 :D
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com