Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: senheiser 280s vs. Sony 7506's... which to choose  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
senheiser 280s vs. Sony 7506's... which to choose
« on: October 31, 2005, 07:38:50 PM »
Any thoughts? Seem to be about the same price.  THanks!
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: senheiser 280s vs. Sony 7506's... which to choose
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 08:46:35 AM »
I've never heard the senns, but based on comments on Head-fi they are the best closed can you can find in terms of blocking out noise.  I do own a pair of 7506's and they block out an average amount of noise...i wouldn't use them on the subway or bus however.  They are great for tracking because their quite analytical due to their bright nature.  They also offer a good amount of bass, once you familiarize yourself with the sound you can trust them to point out any defects in a recording you made.  They also fold up and come with a pleather pouch to stuff them in.  By the way, the MDR-V6 is the same exact headphone, sound the sames, looks the same (minus the gold plated plug) and sells for $30 cheaper.  If you do go with the Sony's make sure to contact Beyerdynamic and order a pair of replacement VELOUR ear pads for their DT250's.  They fit on the sony's and boy are they comfy unlike the pleather ear pads on the sony's

Run a search on head-fi (in the headphones forum) for comments on both cans, you'll find plenty!

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 09:23:38 AM »
thanks! +T

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 10:53:09 AM »
Never heard the senns, but I like the 7506s.   But, there are some people on here who have been critical of the Sony's in the past...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 11:11:32 AM »
For what purpose will you use the headphones, with what gear?  Monitoring mixes while recording, casual and mobile listening, critical listening at home, work environment, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 11:14:38 AM »
both live monitoring, and using during tracking/mastering.  Apparently the woman upstairs doesn't like my taste in music so much  ???

My mics are fairly bright already, so I'm wondering if the Sony cans might be overkill.

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 12:00:47 PM »
both live monitoring, and using during tracking/mastering.  Apparently the woman upstairs doesn't like my taste in music so much  ???

My mics are fairly bright already, so I'm wondering if the Sony cans might be overkill.

Live monitoring?  Might be a good idea to invest in a pair of iem's instead, i doubt you're going to hearing anything from the headphones during a live concert, especially if its a really loud.  As for tracking and mastering, they should work wonderfully.  As for teh brightness issue, it all depends on what their being plugged into. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »
I have the Senn's and after auditioning both (senn. 280s and Sony 7506s) in live environments, I prefer the Senn. 280s. I have been using them for onstage/sbd mixes locally, and that's all they are used for. As for home listening, I would point you towards some Grados with a decent headphone amp!
Just my $.02

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 04:55:57 PM »

Live monitoring?  Might be a good idea to invest in a pair of iem's instead, i doubt you're going to hearing anything from the headphones during a live concert, especially if its a really loud.  As for tracking and mastering, they should work wonderfully.  As for teh brightness issue, it all depends on what their being plugged into. 

And watch your ears!  That's brutal!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 07:43:05 PM »
to be clear. I don't plan to be using them in super-loud shows. Mostly jazz, post-rock type stuff. Thanks for the advice though guys!  I'll definately go try both out. There just isn't much in the way of availability here in Canada, so I"m trying to get info in advance.

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 04:09:59 AM »
my 02.: I have the 280's. They will work fine for monitoring when taping (although I don't see a point in doing so - unless you're doing a matrix or something). I've used them for FOH and to listen to music in noisy environments (bus, plane,...) - works great. However, I would never use them for mastering since they're way too colored. For listening/mastering, I'd strongly recommend something like the Sennheiser 570's (or upwards from there - depending on the budget).

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 11:30:16 AM »
pm Heath, he (and most other engineers) use  the 7506's

not sure about using them for masteirng though
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 01:08:51 PM »
Well, I went ahead and ordered myself a pair of 7506's.  Looking forward to checking them out.  I'm sure they'll be a big improvement over my Sennheiser PX100's anyhow.

Thanks folks!

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 08:47:02 PM »
Well, I went ahead and ordered myself a pair of 7506's.  Looking forward to checking them out.  I'm sure they'll be a big improvement over my Sennheiser PX100's anyhow.

Thanks folks!

Cool dude, let us know how they turn out.  By the way, if find the pleater pads uncomfortable, you can purchase a pair of beyerdynamic velour pads to replace them.  They are far more comfy and can be washed.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 09:00:25 PM »
FWIW, the 280s grip your head pretty firm.  I get sick of wearing them in about 10 minutes.  I can fall asleep with 7506s on.

Offline halteh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 02:15:38 AM »
Question, not entirely related to this thread, but maybe someone here could help out. I am looking to get a pair of Sennheiser headphones, i was thinking about the 570's, one of my concerns is how much sound these headphones emit from outside. I normally listen to my phones in the same room where my brother is either reading, watching tv, or on his computer. He's already anal enough about my sony MDR-CD280's being too loud at some points. Will i have this problem with this Sennheiser's?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 02:35:54 AM »
I'd say it'd be an issue that you'd need closed phones to resolve. However, unless he has really good hearing or your room is pretty small, I'd say you need to watch your volume levels (to protect your hearing).
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com