Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Paradigm Monitor 5 v4 Bookshelfs - any experience?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Paradigm Monitor 5 v4 Bookshelfs - any experience?
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:43:15 PM »
i just grabbed one of the T-Amps that's been discussed around here so now Im looking to grab some decent bookshelf speakers to put behind it.

theres a guy locally who has a pair of Paradigm Monitor 5's for sale for 325 obo. they are pretty new except that there is some cosmetic damage to one corner. anyone have any experience with these particular speakers?

i don't know much when it comes to playback eq so the specs don't tell me much.

Freq Response - On Axis (0°) ±2dB from 58Hz - 20kHz / Off Axis (30°) ±2dB from 58Hz - 18kHz
Sensitivity -- Room / Anechoic - 92dB / 89dB

I know that Paradigm speakers get good reviews, just curious if anyone had experience with this specific model.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Paradigm Monitor 5 v4 Bookshelfs - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:12:09 PM »
I don't think you can really go wrong with paradigms, whatever model you buy, as they are usually a good value at all price points of their product line. No idea what the retail on this model is, but maybe you can check ebay to see how much these are going for used. I say if it is a good deal, go listen and if you like em', go for it!

edit: just from the specs looks like they don't go too low, of course you are never going to get tons of low end from any bookshelf. Just something to keep in mind if you like to thump the house.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Invisible

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:28:20 PM »
I have experience with the entire Paradigm line and actually installed the monitor 5's as the mains in my father's 7.1 setup in his basement. You really can't beat them at their price point. No, they won't get a s deep as a floorstanding model, but you could add a paradigm siesmic 10 to the mix and you would be set. I would highly suggest picking up the stands that are made for this speaker if the gentleman you are buying them from doesn't already have them.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:08:27 PM »
put a sub with those and you'll be very happy.

edit to add: I'm sure you'll love them without a sub. Just looking at the specs you'll want to add one eventually.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 08:52:00 PM by Tim »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 09:55:19 AM »

I just picked up a pair of the Monitor 5s.  They should be here in the next couple of days.  Would there be an issue if I placed these right next to my plasma tv?  I'm not sure if they are shielded or not, but then again, i think i remember someone telling me that speakers dont effect plasmas like they do CRTs.

thanks.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.215 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com