Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone make high def audio discs in stereo?  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Does anyone make high def audio discs in stereo?
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:21:25 PM »
Hey all. So I was listening to some records today and it got me thinking. Does anyone put out high def (24 bit ect...) versions of albums in stereo? I'd really love to listen to some better quality stuff, but I don't have 5.1. Anyone know? Probbaly not? Thanks!

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Does anyone make high def audio discs in stereo?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:06:08 PM »
Aren't DVD-A 24 bit capable?
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:49 PM »
Aren't DVD-A 24 bit capable?

yes DVD-A certainly does 24 bit.  I think the question was this:  most commercially available DVD-A discs are geared and marketed toward surround sound.  are there any commercially available discs with just 2 track stereo 24/96 or 24/48 tracks ??

that's a good question.  my guess is that there has to be some releases with both stereo PCM and surround.  but offhand, I don't know of any.

I bought the dual-disc for Miles Davis Kind of Blue, hoping that the DVD side would be hi-res.  but it's just at 16 bit, 48 kHz.  yes, I know that's slightly better than the 16/44.1 version on the CD side, but it's not the 24 bit that I was hoping for...

edited for spelling

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:35:00 AM »
I've got On The Beach by Neil Young. 24 bit stereo only I believe. Also have Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Think that has 5.1 and 2.0.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:19:56 AM »
i believe many dvda's have a 2.0 24/192 PCM segment as well as 5.1

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
I'll have to check, but I believe all my DVD-A and SACD studio releases that have surround tracks also have a separate stereo track.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 11:56:54 AM »
Thanks everyone! This is making me happy!

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »
As stated before most high rez formats have both surround and stereo mixes on them.  My Talking Heads box set have both 5.1 and 2.0 as well as Beck's Sea Change DVD-A.  The Neil Young DVD-A releases are all two channel only save for Harvest which has surround and stereo I believe.  I also just purchased all of Peter Gabriel's catalog released in SACD and they are all stero.  I wish more stuff was released in these formats in stereo.  Its ot so much that I find surround mixes annoying, its more like I only have two speakers and don't want any more.

Shane

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 01:44:24 PM »
Two ears, two mics, two channels.

the elder hath spoken

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 11:40:42 PM »
I've got to plug the Beck, Sea Change DVD-A, probably one of the best DVD-A's I've got (also listening 2.0).  Great, great, great stuff

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »
I've got a couple of Panic DVDAs and a Diana Krawl DVDA that are 2 channel 24/96.

They sound great.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

cshepherd

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »
Can someone explain the point of a 5.1 audio mix for a studio CD or live concert performance?  What actually goes into the rear channels' mix? 

Chris

Offline Swampy

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 12:52:32 AM »
Can someone explain the point of a 5.1 audio mix for a studio CD or live concert performance?  What actually goes into the rear channels' mix? 

Chris
Not that I've heard a lot, but I've heard some hanging out at other's houses... A lot of the live stuff that I have heard is kind of AUD in the two rear channels, kind of gives it a live feel. The studio stuff that I've heard in 5.1 is kind of cool, like Gaucho (Steely Dan) has some cool horns and backup vox and stuff in the rears. When I first heard it it was a lot less segmented sounding than I thought it would, but is still IMO gimmicky. I would rather listen to stuff that was originally made for stereo in stereo. Maybe stuff that is recorded to be in 5.1 could be cool?

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 01:50:47 AM »
IMHO for movies surround makes sense, less so for music where, again IMHO, to be realistic the surrounds would be more for ambience. I could buy the idea that the center channel could benefit in solidifying the center image though. (though I have to say that I get a pretty damn good center image from my 2-channel main speakers).

I personally do not really want to hear instruments coming from behind me, I can see it from the viewpoint of album production being akin to crafting a piece of artwork, where sound effects coming from the surround channels are part of the "big artistic picture" for lack of better description. But for me when I listen to an album at home I prefer to have a realistic "concert" perspective, meaning all the main sound in the front channels and the rears just for conveying the reflected sound and ambience of the place. Maybe then the acoustic differences between a ampitheater, church, and small club could be more accurately conveyed. But here, I wonder about the effectiveness of this when the final surround mix will be played back in a huge variety of environments and rooms with widely varying room dimensions and speaker placement. Just thinking out loud...

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 01:53:00 AM »
Two ears, two mics, two channels.

why not 2 TV's then? Sorry, couldn't resist.  :P   :) 
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 12:58:28 PM »
I find surround useful only when the surround channels are turned way down in level so that they aren't directly noticable; ie. I only notice their absence when I turn them off.  Otherwise its way to gimicky & distracting.  Movies or music.

Dolby PLIIx can be nice at low levels for the rears as long as you don't let it mess with the stereo pair, it's a matrix decoder, sort of a fancy version of the old Halfler circuit..   

Anyone with two extra speakers and some speaker wire can play around with a simple 'ambience extraction' technique by wiring up a rear pair across the positive L & R terminals of the stereo amp so just the difference signal goes to the rears, with the surrounds wired in opposite polarity.  No level control this way though so use less efficeint surrounds or point them at the back wall or ceiling.  It's cheap and easy fun even if not for critical listening.  Sort of a M/S encoder.  It can be quite enlightening to listen to the difference signal for different sources if nothing else.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com