Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158807 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #270 on: July 09, 2018, 10:17:35 PM »
FWIW i recorded a 4 hour ~4GB file (24/44.1) with my iphone SE just fine. (it was actually 3971 MB so i dunno what happens at 4GB). im pretty sure voice recorder pro can auto-split as well
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline bhoy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »
jerryfreak -

I really like the sound of the 4061's and the d:vice in that sample.  Which do you prefer?  Maybe the main difference is in the location - row 2 vs sbd area?

Bill

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
i hate chatter so its a rare recording where you can pull it off with the omnis

they def have a more open sound in that recording.

ive found the omnis are pretty resistant to wind noise, i had no screens on those, but the schoeps had the fatty B&K windscreens which prob muffle a bit
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #273 on: July 17, 2018, 09:57:19 PM »
ive found the omnis are pretty resistant to wind noise, i had no screens on those...
Yep, the omni mics lack the "Proximity Effect" that cardioid and other directional mics possess, where nearby sources come through with more bass. For whatever scientific reason, wind noise gets the boost on directional mics as well. I guess when it hits the mics, it's pretty close!!?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #274 on: July 17, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »
well i think its because all mics are pressure gradient transducers and wind does funky things when there are vents to selectively allow sounds in the back of a capsule that make shit go wild

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #275 on: July 18, 2018, 10:55:47 AM »
well i think its because all mics are pressure gradient transducers and wind does funky things when there are vents to selectively allow sounds in the back of a capsule that make shit go wild

Not all mics are pressure gradient transducers. But the shit go wild part is pretty much spot on. True pressure omnis (such as all DPA omnis) are not pressure gradient transducers, although electrically-switched dual-capsule microphones with an omni pattern are, and all directional microphones are to varying degrees.

> Pressure transducer = diaphragm open to sound on one side and closed to sound on the other, providing a pressure reference measurement against the closed side = omni
> Pressure gradient transducer = diaphragm open to sound on both sides, providing a pressure differential measurement between the two sides = bi-directional

Any directional microphone with a pickup pattern in between omni and bidirectional is a combination of those two basic principles.  A cardioid combines equal amounts of both. But you probably already knew all this.

How this is implemented varies.  Because the sound pressure gradient at low frequencies is weak, the diaphragm tension of pressure gradient microphones needs to be less than that of a pressure omni to achieve appropriate sensitivity at low frequencies.  But at low frequencies, turbulent wind pressure difference between the front and back sides of the diaphragm can easily exceed sound pressure difference, making pressure gradient mics more susceptible to wind noise. The diaphragm tension of pressure omnis can be higher, making the restoring force on the diaphragm correspondingly greater, which helps reduce handing and wind noise. 

Link to an article by Chris Woolf which covers this- How to reduce wind noise and vibration
http://microphone-data.com/media/filestore/articles/Wind%20and%20vibration-10.pdf?_ga=2.213787796.166413374.1531921444-569004240.1531921444

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #276 on: July 21, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
has anybody found any shorter lightning to microusb cables? the only ones i see on amazon are right angle at the micro end which wouldnt really work well with the dvice the way the mic inputs are adjacent

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »
An anecdote:

I was recording a 17 piece string chamber orchestra today, limited setup time but the problem didn't become obvious until work in post.  I was using (as I often do) a Josephson C700S > Zoom F8n, the group formed a larger than usual semi-circle (8 violins left, 4 cellos and 3 violas right, 2 double basses center).  The Josephson did its usual great job of localizing the players and getting ambiance, but both in Blumlein and M/S mixes everything sounded distant and weak, the mic stand was really too far away from the instruments and the hole in the center too obvious.  I should have tried mixing in more W channel to get crossed cardioids, but instead I went to my backup recording.

Rather than my usual backup shaver (D50 or Nagra Lino with internal mics), I was trying out new DPA 4011 caps on microdot active cables into the d:vice MMA-A (> iPhone 6+).  The mics were in a Shapeways 3-D printed ORTF mount. 

This is really more about mic choice than recorder, but I am still impressed (after using the d:vice for over a year now with DPA minis) how good it sounds with 4011 or 4015 caps.  I went with the "backup" as my finished product, no reactions yet.

Jeff

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
anecdotal thing here.. i rolled into a show and deleted a few random things from the rode app to make sure i ahve enough space- heads up- it sends them to a recycle bin of sorts which isnt super intuitive. you need to go to "restore deleted items" and permanently delete
anyway here is MOST of the b-52s from reno events center

https://soundcloud.com/user-24091888/b52s-2018-09-22-reno-nv

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #279 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
Very cool to see your first-hand report of use with 4011 caps, Jeff.  And good to hear your impression that the combination is up to snuff.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered in the thread, but my search attempts did not yield results.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement ios cable for the d:vice?  I scored a d:vice that does not have any cables and would love to find one cheaper and quicker than the $70/2 weeks that B&H shows on their site.
Thanks, Don

To be clear, I am talking about the micro usb-b to lightning cable
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:56:13 PM by kingdong »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #281 on: November 08, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »
i am interested as well. there are some funky right angle ones on amazon for some drone but i havent tried one

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #282 on: November 13, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »
Followup to my cable question.  I went with this option: http://meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html
Received it today just in time to test it out on a show I didnt really care about recording.  It was my first attempt to use the d:vice and I think things worked.  The 4 foot cable was very convenient to be ablo to take my phone in and out of my pocket to check levels.  So far so good...
On a side not, I had downloaded the DPA app and the Shure Motiv app.  In the literally 5-10 minutes I had to try to set things up, I couldn't get the DPA app to do anything, but the Shure app seemed to be able to set sample rate and bit depth just fine.  Once I pull the files off my phone, I'll be able to verify that it actually worked.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
nice find!

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #284 on: November 26, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »
I'm beyond pissed right now.

I've had two failures in the field this year with the D:vice and a pair of hat-mounted 4060's, and I have no idea why!

Both times, I return home to find I have recorded several gigs of… nothing. Empty bits. Gigs and gigs of nothing. Absolute digital silence.

Here's as much as I can tell about my set up and method. Any tips on what may be happening, or what I may be doing wrong, are very much appreciated.

The rig consists of:
iPhone 8 plus, 256GB, with iOS 11 back in August when the first failure occurred, and iOS 12 yesterday when the second one occurred.

DPA 4060's, poking out of a baseball cap... cables run down the back of my shirt, into a pocket, attached securely to the D:vice.  the USB-Lightning cable runs from the D:vice to my other pocket, and plugs into my phone. That's it. This is the simplest set up I've ever used, and yet, I seemingly have issues.

Procedure: Usually before leaving the house I:
1. wake up iPhone
2. plug in D:vice
3. Launch D:vice app, make sure it's set to stereo, a low gain setting, sometimes I engage the bass filter, and then I activate Lock, so nothing can be changed accidentally.
4. Launch Shure Motiv app and press Record.
5. Put phone to sleep and back in my pocket.

That's it. what the heck could I be getting wrong there?

the one flaw is I can't monitor or check through headphones before leaving the house. I have a newer phone without the standard 1/8" headphone jack, so unless I buy some wireless buds, I can't hear what's going on. I tried buying a lightning to lightning plus 1/8" adapter, but it doesn't seem to actually pass digital and audio at the same time.

I'm blind, and while Voiceover, the iOS screen reading function, does read me all the controls in the D:vice and Motiv apps, it will not read the meters, as they are graphical.
First failure was seeing Jeff Beck outdoors.

Last night's failure was at Steve Vai's Generation Axe tour, with Vai, Yngwie, Zakk Wyle, Nuno Bettencourt, and Tosin Abasi, in a theater with great acoustics. I had eleventh row floor, right in the middle, and heard lots of lovely stereo from the PA. *sigh*

Again, all tips welcome!

I usually feel a little on edge when I'm taping at a show, and honestly, if I can't get consistent results, I'm considering just selling this stuff and not worrying about it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com