Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR-2LE  (Read 3662 times)

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
Fostex FR-2LE
« on: July 25, 2006, 01:18:11 PM »
Did a search and didn't see anything about this yet.....looks like another entry into the smaller flash memory recorder market.   Looks pretty nice for $499.  I would have to guess our taper oriented sellers will have them a bit cheaper.

Here's a link my boss sent to me from B&H Photo (no affiliation.....they just have a picture and some more info):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=newsletter3_06&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=432017&is=REG

Fostex FR-2LE Stereo Field Memory Recorder
Compact design & pro features at an attractive pricepoint
By Robert Morton
Printer-Friendly Version

Once a very expensive addition to any field recording kit, the portable digital recorder has now become an affordable, must have item for any serious ENG/ location sound or music recording professional. The new FR-2LE is the little brother to Fostex?s popular FR-2 digital field recorder. Fostex provided B&H with a prototype FR-2LE for its demo booth at the 2006 NAB show in Las Vegas. Attendees loved its rugged, compact design and were very impressed with its powerful features. 

The FR2-LE records Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) or MP3 files to affordable type II CompactFlash or Microdrive cards, at up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution. It features powerful on-board editing functions and a USB 2.0 port for high-speed file transfers to PC editing suites. Time stamping of .wav or MP3 files is provided; allowing for easy time alignment of audio files in Audio/Video software workstations.

This easy-to-use unit is equipped with two Mic/Line inputs (with phantom power) on Neutrik combo jacks, stereo RCA analog outputs and a 1/8" stereo headphone output with level control. The FR-2LE?s flexible powering options include: (4) "AA" batteries or a 12V DC input. The top panel has a large LCD display and transport and menu keys, & the front panel adds Rec/Standby controls, LED Metering and input trims. A wired remote control comes standard with every unit.

The Fostex FR-2LE?s combination of pro features and low $499.00 price makes this versatile recorder a top choice for Electronic News Gathering, location sound and live music applications.
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Fostex FR-2LE
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »
a fair amount of discussion here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62698.0

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »
Did a search and didn't see anything about this yet.....looks like another entry into the smaller flash memory recorder market.   Looks pretty nice for $499.  I would have to guess our taper oriented sellers will have them a bit cheaper.

Price seems like exceptional value for 24/96 full-featured flash deck.

Wish for 24/88.2 ability like Microtrack, and have more thoughtful lower noise analog circuitry than current Microtrack 'version' (like maybe M-audio will do a most needed PCB redesign?).

By the photos, FR-2LE does seem a quite bit larger than both R-09 and MT decks, so less a choice for stealth.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »
a fair amount of discussion here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62698.0

word....would have helped the search if the right model number was used in the original topic  :P
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline smuff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »
I shouldnt care... but what the hell.It was originally slated as the FR-3 they changed the name. ;D

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 08:10:17 PM »
Random question:

What is "Broadcast Wave Format"?  Is that different from PCM wave format?
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:22:25 PM »
Random question:

What is "Broadcast Wave Format"?  Is that different from PCM wave format?

yes, it just has a extra/broadcast extension chunk that contains originator(name of producer or origin), date and time, coding history(log of signal coding ie Linear PCM, MPEG..etc), description info..(titles), and reference(reference number ).info..

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 08:26:03 PM by Teddy »

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:07:02 PM »
It will be interestin to see how this pans out... even if just as a recorder run behind a V3 or something.  Fostex should at the very least be reliable for solid 24/96 CF writing in a small package.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:11:53 AM »
It will be interestin to see how this pans out... even if just as a recorder run behind a V3 or something.  Fostex should at the very least be reliable for solid 24/96 CF writing in a small package.

CQBert

What's small about this deck is cost and 4 AA cell battery power, but seems NOT at all small in size. 

Looks close to that of Sound Devices 7 series decks, and Fostex or a reviewer mentions something like 'half the size of the FR2; if true, then larger than a Series 7?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 10:10:28 AM »

What's small about this deck is cost and 4 AA cell battery power, but seems NOT at all small in size. 

Looks close to that of Sound Devices 7 series decks, and Fostex or a reviewer mentions something like 'half the size of the FR2; if true, then larger than a Series 7?

Yes it is small in size.  It is the same relative size as the Marantz PMD-660.  Which happens to be the smallest All-in-One box out there.  The 2LE is almost exactly 1/2 inch bigger all the way around than the 660.  Almost negligible, IMO.

I'm already first in line with Oade for one of these.  Told Doug last week to contact me the minute he gets his hands on his shipment.  Probably won't be till September at the earliest.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.197 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com