Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion  (Read 76884 times)

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Archive Bookmarks
Re: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2023, 07:26:26 PM »
I know this is a thread from forever ago but I recently was trying to find sources using the Oade Concert Mod for the Tascam DR-70D and was having some trouble finding any.

Have any of you had the OADE Concert Mod done to your DR-70D?

I have been satisfied so far with my recordings just going mics > DR-70D but was just wanting to know if this mod at $165 is worth doing?
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2023, 08:04:12 PM »
Damn! Is this a new mod for Oade? May have to send mine off. Great deal for four channels. Have not heard it for this deck, but the concert mod is a beautiful flavor. Beautiful open soundstage. DO IT 😂
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2023, 09:30:04 AM »
As a longtime 70D owner who modded (Jim Williams), at this stage I would 100% NOT spend the money to mod this deck and instead sell it for something much better. Zoom F3 if you only need two channels; Tascam X6 if you need 4, Zoom F6 or F8 if more than that. Or Sound Devices MixPre-II series.

Reasoning: Yes you may get an overall improvement in sound quality (I did) but all the 70D mods do not improve the 70D noisy preamps at high gain, and all the other decks I mentioned get you overall far superior preamps in addition to autoranging multi-DAC 32-bit float recording so you will never need limiters. They are also easier to use, have more features, better build quality, and are an overall much better value. If any of these decks were available at the time I did the mod, I would not have modded my unit.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 09:17:28 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2023, 10:18:56 AM »
I know this is a thread from forever ago but I recently was trying to find sources using the Oade Concert Mod for the Tascam DR-70D and was having some trouble finding any.
Have any of you had the OADE Concert Mod done to your DR-70D?
I have been satisfied so far with my recordings just going mics > DR-70D but was just wanting to know if this mod at $165 is worth doing?

Guy I do a lot of taping at Jazzfest with Jason - picklemic is his handle here - uses a Busman modified DR70d. Search for picklemic on the LMA and sort by year. I think he started using that deck around 2016. It sounds great and he really likes it. He only uses one mic - the AT4050st stereo mic and does a lot of sbd/onstage mixes - but there's going to be some shows in there to listen to that are like what you would be doing.

Doug's concert mods do a couple of things including changing the gain range and the sensitivity, optimizing the recorder for loud sources. Took me a couple tries to get used to the changes in my DR100 but the thing sounds fantastic. I have to run it on medium gain with the knob at 7 out of 10 even running onstage for a loud rock band. He offers other mods that keep the gain closer to stock for ambient recording and whatnot.

I'm not positive that the Jim Williams modification mentioned above accomplishes the same goals.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 10:23:42 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jielkade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »
As a longtime 70D owner who modded (Jim Williams), at this stage I would 100% NOT spend the money to mod this deck and instead sell it for something much better. Zoom F3 if you only need two channels; Tascam X6 if you need 4, Zoom F6 or F8 if more than that. Or Sound Devices MixPre-II series.

Reasoning: Yes you may get an overall improvement in songs quality (I did) but all the 70D mods do not improve the 70D noisy preamps at high gain, and all the other decks I mentioned get you overall far superior preamps in addition to autoranging multi-DAC 32-bit float recording so you will never need limiters. They are also easier to use, have more features, better build quality, and are an overall much better value. If any of these decks were available at the time I did the mod, I would not have modded my unit.

Absolut.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com