Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEED HELP Importing corrupted .WAV files as raw audio data  (Read 11319 times)

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
NEED HELP Importing corrupted .WAV files as raw audio data
« on: July 11, 2006, 09:16:08 PM »
I have a few corrupted .WAV files I am trying to open in WaveLab. I am not having success so far. I did have some success using Audactiy on the Mac, but the file still sounds dirty and has some "static" in it.

What I need to know is where to set the Header size and End size under "Data to ignore". Also, do I select "24 bit" or "24 bit (stored in 32 bits)" ?  Lastly, I assume I use Litter endian and not Big endian for the byte order. I have tried various combinations without success so far.

The file sizes of the .WAV's are about 600, 300, and 75 MB, but they are just corrupted.

Thank you,
Tom

Offline winisp

• Taperssection Regular
Re: NEED HELP Importing corrupted .WAV files as raw audio data
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 09:22:03 PM »
I had the same problem with a number of files on my PC. It was recommended to open the file in WaveLab or other program and save as a RAW PCM file.  This has worked for some people but didnt work for me. I had the same issue with the choices required and no amount of experimentation worked. But maybe try it.

What did work was Audiohack cmd tool.  Unfortunately you are on a Mac and this is only a Windows tool I believe.  So if you have access to a Windows machine, Audiohack is the way to go. 

--S

Re: MicroTrack Problem: 0 byte file
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:20:25 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another note...
Even if the file can be made accessible with chkdsk /f , also the file wav header probably needs updating.

You can use this...
http://www.gidluckmastering.com/audiohck.zip
This will read your wav file and write out the same RIFF attributes as the original, plus correct the header counters.  You can then import the files into any windows audio application.

It is usually used to cut down the size of a file recorded larger than 2gb (you get two output files). On the pocket pc I allow files of up to 4gb in size to be recorded. I needed a way to split files afterwards.

Gordon
AKG 481/3 > Dogstar XLR > MiniMe > Laptop
www.thanksthanksalot.com
www.uprecords.com
Why do I have negative tickets? Because JCrabb is loser!!! Just ask his ex-wifey :)  Share the music JCrabb!!!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 09:26:24 PM »
OK, Craig T. told me back in April about AudioHack. I now understand what it is used for. So, I needed to use chkdsk /f and *then* audiohack.exe on the affected file(s). This makes complete sense now. I am uncorrupting the damaged .wav files right now using audiohack on a PC. Thanks again Craig, sleepypedro, and Gordon G. !!

-Tom Roach

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 09:33:32 PM »
OK, I just tried to play the corrected file using QuickTime, and it wouldn't. I then tried importing it into WaveLab and am back to the same question, what options do I choose in the"Special file format" window?

This is the part of the Audiohack .wav rescue that I am stuck on:
"You can then import the files into any windows audio application."

My original chkdsk /f rescued wav is 74,608 kb.
The two files outputted by Audiohack are 63,992 kb and 1 kb.

Thanks again,
Tom

Offline winisp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 10:02:08 PM »
I didn't have this problem after using Audiohack. The header was fixed so it did not ask about these options.

You enter what the recording was based on - e.g., 24bit 48K etc.

Here are two other links that I found helpful:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=48536.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=26640.0

AKG 481/3 > Dogstar XLR > MiniMe > Laptop
www.thanksthanksalot.com
www.uprecords.com
Why do I have negative tickets? Because JCrabb is loser!!! Just ask his ex-wifey :)  Share the music JCrabb!!!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 10:38:20 PM »
I'm still wondering about what to put for header size and end size when opening the RAW file in WaveLab 5. Also, I have "24 bit" selected, and not "24 bit (stored as 32 bit)" so I think the only issues are "header size" and "end size".
Header size can be 0, 1, 2, or 3.
End size can be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:44:32 PM »
I have a few corrupted .WAV files I am trying to open in WaveLab. I am not having success so far. I did have some success using Audactiy on the Mac, but the file still sounds dirty and has some "static" in it.

What I need to know is where to set the Header size and End size under "Data to ignore". Also, do I select "24 bit" or "24 bit (stored in 32 bits)" ?  Lastly, I assume I use Litter endian and not Big endian for the byte order. I have tried various combinations without success so far.

The file sizes of the .WAV's are about 600, 300, and 75 MB, but they are just corrupted.

Thank you,
Tom

PM me and I will help you with this.

You can use Audiohack to write out a new file with corrected header, or it will tell you where the data chunk starts. The data you want will be at this byte position plus 8 bytes.

Ultra-Edit is also a good tool to tell where the data starts.

I expect that your files are 24-bit and Little-Endian. However, I need some more details from you.

I don't have wavelab, so I can't answer that last question you posted. I will likely have you send me the smallest file if you are interested.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 10:49:45 PM »
Thanks both of you for the advice. I just PMed you, Gordon.
-Tom

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:09:01 AM »
For the record, I looked at the smallest file of the group and it has 44 bytes of zeroes. This is a place holder for the riff header which Edirol is evidently putting there as filler until the file is closed. There is no "data" marker, so audiohack can't scan for it.

One possible solution here is to edit the file with a hex editor. I would open up a good file and the bad file and make the first 44 bytes of the bad file look exactly (byte for byte) the like good file. Then run the file through audiohack and the new output file should be readily usable by any .wav file audio application.

The other possibility is to import the data as raw into an audio application. You would have to specify a starting offset of 45, which is where the samples begin. This was recorded with an R1, so specify 24-bit samples, stereo and little-endian.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com