Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

de-Amplify and Adjustable Fade in Audacity - quieting 10 loud unclipped seconds?

<< < (2/4) > >>

chiefscribe:

--- Quote --->>amplify the parts before and after the screaming section so that they peak at the same level as the scream
--- End quote ---

The sound is the entire audience being invited to do a very loud scream for ten seconds, not individual screams that can be isolated. 

admkrk:
Did you try using an envelope?

I do not use Audacity, so I cannot say anything about how to do it in that application. It is a simple process regardless. Set a pair of points where you want the fade in and fade out to start and stop. Lower the loud section so it is about equal to the rest of the audio. You should be able to eyeball it pretty close. Give it a listen and adjust the points until it has a good flow. Once it is all equal, adjust the overall gain as you like.

AbbyTaper's way would work just the same, but be more work. Rx is overkill for something this simple. Do not over think it.

AbbyTaper:

--- Quote from: chiefscribe on March 29, 2024, 10:59:02 PM ---
--- Quote --->>amplify the parts before and after the screaming section so that they peak at the same level as the scream
--- End quote ---

The sound is the entire audience being invited to do a very loud scream for ten seconds, not individual screams that can be isolated.

--- End quote ---

HUH?  You have a 10 second section of screaming, which should be obvious on the WAV form.  Highlight the section before the screaming and amplify it, then highlight the section after the screaming and isolate it. 

If you want, send me the file and I'll fix it for you.

chiefscribe:
As mentioned in the initial post, the transition after the screaming is harder to isolate without a noticeable abrupt increase in background volume. There is a pause before the screaming, so that end of it is easy to isolate, but talking and music starts while the screams are still happening. I have tried various fading techniques but it still sounds like all the sudden someone turned up the volume on the background noise. 

AbbyTaper:
Well...you have nothing to lose by sending it to me.  If I fix it, great.  If I can't, nothing lost except my time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version