Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can anyone help me with a simple step by step how to for making a flac disc?  (Read 10502 times)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
I guess my question now is what is required on the finished disc for upload to the archive?
I read that it is encouraged to include Metadata tags and this is where I get confused this info is
what seems to be in the XML files and it seems most everything I have seen downloaded off of the archive has had the XML files included and I have not found where it says how to create them anywhere.

You've got everything you need - one folder containing all the FLACs, the fingerprint, and the info file (txt). The XML files are created by archive.org after you upload - when you go to import the files, it asks you to input information that is usually pulled automatically from the info file. All you usually have to do is confirm that it's correct in a little pop-up window, and the archive does the rest. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
and the confusion ends!!!!!!
 Thank you, that I did not know since I have never actually uploaded to the archive yet!
 Thanks for clearing that up! +T
 Looks like I will be doing flac instead of shn from now on!
             Thanks again to all of you for making sense of all of this for me!!
              I will be sure to post the links for these shows that are going on the archive
   Particle 1/21&22/05
   Tea Leaf Green 1/21&22/05
   and now that I now how to do this  a bunch of other masters I have taped
   will be added as well example, The Waybacks, LOS, Garaj Mahal, Hot Buttered Rum Strind Band,
   Galactic, Hamsa Lila.....
                                                       Tye
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
i thought you weren't supposed to check the "allign on sector boundaries" option. if you split with cdwav everthing should be good to go and if you're flac-ing wavs that you didn't cut, wouldn't that stretch them out so that they fit on the sector boundaries making the audio messed up?

ed, this is always what i thought til i did somew research on the newest version 1.7.1

check this link out ;)

scroll to the very bottom

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacFrontend
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
When tagging the tracks I  just fill in all the infromation then it will be retained as I name each track right? What I don't get is I choose the custom box I know that much but do I select one of the letters that apperars if you hover your mouse over the custom box or what?
 I assume that when I start with track 1 I fill in all the info with the title of that track then when I go to track 2 to name the title of that track all the info is retained and so on. I'm just unsure of what to put in the custom box. Is it T for track every time?
 I assume this is how the archive detects the names of each track and again I'm just making sure I'm doing this correctly.
                  Tye
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
not sure what you're asking.  just name the wav files to etree standards.  gd1989-10-24d1t01  etc
once they are saved as flacs you can't change the names. 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!

3) If you do use the flac frontend to creat flacs (from waves) and use the fix sector boundary error feature (which I understand works fine on the current version of the flac frontend), be SURE that the flac frontend lists the tracks in the proper order (d1t1, d1t2, etc.) before flac compressing.  Mine always seems to put the last track first.  If left out of order, say with the last track first, if the first track on the list has a sbe, the sbe fixing program will pull data from last track to the next track on the list, etc. and weirdness could occurr.

I had this problem also until the other day

if you highlight the last track (click on the last track) and hold shift down and highlight the first track (click on the first track) they should end up in order in flac frontend :)
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
Crumbo -- will check this out asap -- huge +T for that -- definitely an annoyance I'd like to get behind me . . .

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
not sure what you're asking.  just name the wav files to etree standards.  gd1989-10-24d1t01  etc
once they are saved as flacs you can't change the names. 

Yeah sorry that was kind of vauge I was in a hurry to go to lunch when I typed it.
Basically I  was jumping the gun I'm not sure this step is even needed.
 Here is what I am talking about http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacMetadata
 Is this a step that can be skipped, it seems like this is more for dispaly on players and is not crucial to the file.

Offline greenone

Yes, it can be skipped, but here's the rub - you're dealing with two kinds of metadata. :)

The metadata described on the wiki page is actually embedded in the FLAC file itself, and yes, is the kind of thing that's displayed on players if you're into that kind of thing.

The XML files on archive.org are a different kind of metadata that will eventually be used for the next version of their search engine, so you can eventually search that information. It's also used to create metadata for mp3's if you allow lossy derivatives to be made. Here's some more info on that: http://www.archive.org/iathreads/post-view.php?id=12258

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
Yes, it can be skipped, but here's the rub - you're dealing with two kinds of metadata. :)

The metadata described on the wiki page is actually embedded in the FLAC file itself, and yes, is the kind of thing that's displayed on players if you're into that kind of thing.

The XML files on archive.org are a different kind of metadata that will eventually be used for the next version of their search engine, so you can eventually search that information. It's also used to create metadata for mp3's if you allow lossy derivatives to be made. Here's some more info on that: http://www.archive.org/iathreads/post-view.php?id=12258

--Dave

Very helpful! +T
  Here is another question for those that have uploaded. This should clear up any other confusion I have since I have never uploaded to the archive before. Are there fields that you have to type in the track titles when you are uploading? Just curious where they get that info.

Offline greenone

There's one field where you type in the setlist, yes. Looking at one particular page:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=4564

Under "File downloads", those are extracted from your info file and are actually part of the XML metadata files. Those should ONLY be the names of the tracks. Further down, there's a space for the actual setlist, where you can also type in info like set 1, set 2, encore, any symbols for segues, special guests, debuts, other special song comments, etc. They ask that you don't include track numbers or track timings there, but anything else is ok.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
There's one field where you type in the setlist, yes. Looking at one particular page:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=4564

Under "File downloads", those are extracted from your info file and are actually part of the XML metadata files. Those should ONLY be the names of the tracks. Further down, there's a space for the actual setlist, where you can also type in info like set 1, set 2, encore, any symbols for segues, special guests, debuts, other special song comments, etc. They ask that you don't include track numbers or track timings there, but anything else is ok.
Cool I thought that was the case.
Here is another quick question. Can you rename a flac file after it is created and fingerprinted  without creating a problem? Example you encode your wav's then realize you need to split those tracks into 2 disks. Would this create a problem with the fingerprints matching or do you have to start from  scratch and encode them again?
 Also if SBE's are present will it show an error when I test in flac frontend?

Offline greenone

Don't know about flac frontend as I've never used it (Mac person myself), but you can rename the flac file as long as you also edit the fingerprint file (just open it in a text editor). But really, for the amount of time it takes, I'd just trash the fingerprint and regenerate it...

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
on the sbe issue, no flac wouldn't "consider" sbes to be an "error" if the data contained in the flac wasn't corrupt.  SBEs aren't a corruption of data, etc., just an issue that affects wav files burned to cd.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
So I should run the wav's through shntool to see if SBE's are present?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com