Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can I limit signal flow to one direction?  (Read 3050 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Can I limit signal flow to one direction?
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:02:54 PM »
Hoping for some of the more savvy electronics people to chime in.  I want to make a pair if XLR splitters that will only pass signal in one direction.  I want to isolate the two feeds.  Can this be done by just putting a diode in line?  Does the diode have to be on all three legs?  Do I need a certain diode so that it does not affect the quality of the audio signal?  I'm hoping to pull this off at the XLR connector any ideas?  Would it just be simpler to buy an Iso unit like the  ART XLR splitter?  Thanx, Kirk

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Can I limit signal flow to one direction?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »
you might tell us the exact setup you are envisioning.  that might help someone to recommend something for you.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
you might tell us the exact setup you are envisioning.  that might help someone to recommend something for you.
Simple,  I just want to be able to split the signal and isolate them.  IE: take a mono sbd feed and split it into two with each one of the feeds being isolated from the other.  I was hoping to accomplish this by placing diode(s) between the wire and the XLR terminals inside the connector. 

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »
No, not with just a diode.  A diode will rectify the signal--you'd get the positive half the AC signal, but only above the diode's forward voltage of 0.6V or so.  Simply put, that would sound terrible.

You could make a simple active buffer circuit; that will only let signal pass one direction.  But it needs a power source.  It can be done with phantom power if you are feeding mic preamps.  If you are trying to split a high source impedance output to two inputs without the inputs excessively loading the source, that is what you will need anyway.

If the source is capable of driving two or more loads, you really don't need to worry about it.

Thouhg it sounded way to easy in my head.  This will do it for $25:http://shop.vendio.com/progearwarehouse/item/766729660/?s=1214476428
Seems like a deal for the time and effort it would take.  Thanx, Kirk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com