Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-home interview project: My head is spinning, I need expert guidance!  (Read 5912 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: In-home interview project: My head is spinning, I need expert guidance!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
omnis would be good if you're able to control the environmental settings, but that's not always the case and you may not want to record everything around the subject.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
A hyper cardioid lav would be one shitty lav mic ;)

Most lav mics are omni and for great reason... Almost no proximity effect, no directionality, meaning no pff axis points that results in loss of signal.  You can put the mic remotely close to the person's mouth and you'll be good to go.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
Radio broadcasters use XY, to get that mono-ness, but still retaining the stereo...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Arkaium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
A hyper cardioid lav would be one shitty lav mic ;)

Most lav mics are omni and for great reason... Almost no proximity effect, no directionality, meaning no pff axis points that results in loss of signal.  You can put the mic remotely close to the person's mouth and you'll be good to go.

That's what I always figured! The AT-899 seems like a good choice then, a solid omni clip-on.  I'll let you all know how it goes!

Offline Arkaium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
Folks, I need some more tips!

I just did a test at my folks' place this past weekend and I'm generally pleased with the results!  The AT899 sounds fantastic and the DR-40 was surprisingly easy to figure out.  I'll post some audio samples soon, but I had a couple questions:

I imagine that with the TASCAM recorders, "INPUT LEVEL" refers to the mic volume.  Are there any other settings for mic volume?  Can people give me some tips on what my levels should look like ideally?

I recorded at 15, 20, 25, and 40 input levels (Mono, with the dual mode turned on so I could get a duplicate of the lavalier line at a lower db), and I think I was just WAY too low.  Looked like this most of the time:

[•••••••----|-------------]

Do I want the input to get CLOSE to the end without hitting it?  I think I just need some general recorder tips!  There were some settings I didn't know about either "cut" this or "pass" that.  Are their any no-brainers a newb like me may overlook?

I did notice that the preamps on the DR-40, or the self noise rather (maybe the mic was making noise too), was present.  Pressing question: if I opt to NOT use the phantom power of the DR-40 and instead put a battery in the AT899, which can be self powered, will that reduce/increase that self-noise?

One final question: what format do you all record in?  I maxed out at 24/96, but maybe that's overkill?  There's no issue with recording at that quality, correct?

All in all everything worked splendidly and I learned a lot of lessons about how to use all my equipment.  On a side note, for any of you who like doing video, you HAVE to look into the Manfrotto 561dv1a Monopod.  It is the sexiest, most fun to use piece of kit I own.

Thank you in advance for the help!!

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
I would buy a church audio cardioid set and either run them as a stereo pair on a short stand in front of the couch, or better yet, maybe use the Church Audio mics as lavs.  With the right placement on the subject, I'm sure you could make a very nice sounding dialog with a hyper cardioid lav.  Good luck!

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I ultimately decided that despite all of my wishes to get a mic I could have more varied uses with, the best choice for this project as I'd planned it was a lavalier mic. In my price range, I considered the Countryman EMW, the Countryman B6, Sony ECM-44b, and the AT-899. The Countrymans, while well reviewed, were a little pricey in the wired XLR config I wanted. My huge problem with the ECM-44b was what I perceived from audio samples as a thinness. Other lavs I heard samples for had a smoother, more rounded sound (imo). I also didn't like that it did NOT accept phantom power and was self powered. I wanted a device with the option.

I settled on the reasonably priced, good sized, well reviewed AT-899. I don't plan on having more than on subject in frame at once, so one will do for now. It'll go into my DR-40 (yet to come, hopefully chopper free), and I'll also orient that recorders built in mics toward my subject, like in X/Y, and use that audio if it adds to the final product.

I'll let you all know how it goes! If anyone has any lav tips or anything specifically relating to the AT-899, let me know!

BTW, for anyone who has been looking for a deal on this mic, Musician's Friend has it for 199.99 and offers a 15% off coupon for items 199 and over just barely qualifying it. I got it for $18x shipped.

Forget the ECM 44 go with the ECM-55 instead.  It's very popular omni lav mic, phantom or AA powered and it's a better sounding mic than the 44.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
how does the recording sound?  the mics sound good but the recording is low?You are using mic input, right?

Also, i have used cards for lav and its fine. I certainly would not use omnis at my moms where its very noisy so you have to use the right mic for the right situation.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com