Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini-mp  (Read 16004 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
mini-mp
« on: October 27, 2003, 12:34:38 PM »
Here's a description I just found.  Sound's to me like it will be a warming type pre, most likely like the mini-me.

The Mini-MP 2-channel Analog Mic-pre, is Apogee's latest addition to their Mini-Series.

Featured in the Mini-MP are two, low distortion, ultra-fast, high-gain pre-amps that offer a full 70 dB of gain. Input/output options on the Mini-MP are strong and flexible. The phantom powered microphone inputs are capable of handling level of up to +18dB and the auto select High-Z inputs are a great feature for instruments and consumer level equipment are ideal for giving direct guitars, basses and keyboards that warm analog sound.

On the output side Mini-MP uses Apogee's newly developed electronically balanced line drivers, which simulate true transformer behavior and allow for perfect symmetry when used in balanced mode and no increased distortion when used unbalanced.

Other useful Mini-MP features include Middle-Side Mode, great for recording audio using an M-S configured mike setup, an 80 hZ High-pass filter, and a phase switch.

Mini-MP card at a glance:
- Two-channel microphone preamplifier with phantom power and HI-Z instrument inputs
- Low distortion pre-amps with 75dB of gain. THD+N: –105 dB at unity, -85 dB at 60 dB of gain
- Ultra-linear gain control
- Mid-Side (M-S) feature
- 80 Hz Hi Pass filter with a roll off of +18dB/oct
- Low power consumption allowing the use of several types of batteries and third party power packs

Availability: November 2003 - MSRP: $995

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:mini-mp
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 12:44:13 PM »
so how do those specs compare to what the mme offers?  is there a difference?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline gonads

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 02:02:38 PM »
it offers m/s and a hpf... making it more of a full function pre like the v3 etc. That's a big improvement over the minime!

haven't heard what chipset they used in it though...
My Attitude Sucks

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 03:16:43 PM »
"transformerlike" outputs sucks.why not use the real thing?
oh i remeber nice trafos adds production costs and the specs get messed after a while.
the amek 9098 has a traf-like output...but i liked the it's midrange texture.

then again i'm a idiot.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 03:50:13 PM »
I wil e-mail Gary and ask about chipset so we can get a better idea on sound.

D

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 10:09:05 PM »
be curious to see how it sounds, but I think its way over priced if $1000 is what they are going to ask for it.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 06:05:03 AM »
be curious to see how it sounds, but I think its way over priced if $1000 is what they are going to ask for it.

I find it very interesting from a business perspective that, generally speaking, Apogee built 2 devices at a cost of $2200 to their customers what Grace built in 1 device at a cost of $1500 to their customers.  Of course, if you love the Apogee (or Grace) sound and have the cash to spend, the business perspective is moot.  But I find it very telling.

Hmmmmm...this might be the first time I've openly invited flames on this board...   ;)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

DaryanLenz

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 08:34:33 AM »
I asked gary yesterday about the op-amps in the new mini-mp and the answer was I can't tell you...yet  I will let you all know as soon as I know, as he is going to e-mail me and tell me the deal as soon as he is allowed.  

Daryan

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 09:44:27 AM »
If MSRP = $995, you have to figure this thing is going to sell for less than that. $800 maybe?

The thing that kills me is the meters.  -20,0 +6, clip? Not exactly what I was hoping for. And those little metal toggle switches? They's all over the place.  Is there a worse kind of switch for what we do?
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 10:57:52 AM »
If MSRP = $995, you have to figure this thing is going to sell for less than that. $800 maybe?

The thing that kills me is the meters.  -20,0 +6, clip? Not exactly what I was hoping for. And those little metal toggle switches? They's all over the place.  Is there a worse kind of switch for what we do?

apogee doesn't seem to be learning from previous design mistakes.......
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

DaryanLenz

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 11:01:13 AM »
I have no problem with their designs whatsoever.  I have never flipped anything by mistajke, and running upright is fine as well.  Also, I find that after using the mini-me for a while, I don't even lopok at the levels on the deck anymore as the meters are very easy to read and understand after you get used to them.  If I wanted a light show, I would go to see fireworks!

Have a great day all

D

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 01:13:52 PM »
apogee has a unique design that they stick with... so does grace

it's part of the marketing...

bunch of whiners!
My Attitude Sucks

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 01:21:40 PM »
so it's overpriced but you haven't heard it yet, right? Just clarifying.

its MSRP is $1000... I'd bet it'll sell for $750-800.

Skalinder - you're right, the people who buy these boxes are buying the apogee sound or the grace sound, price be damned. And actually compared to the price of Apogee's other gear the minime and the minimp are a great deal.

I use both boxes extensively and like them both for different applications but the hubris of grace owners on this board is, at times, nauseating.
My Attitude Sucks

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 01:36:28 PM »
LOL!
My Attitude Sucks

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2003, 01:50:08 PM »
but the hubris of grace owners on this board is, at times, nauseating.

i prefer "Steely Confidence" over hubris, but whatever big guy. :thebirdman:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com