Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Affordable bookshelf speakers?  (Read 9950 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Affordable bookshelf speakers?
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »
I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I'm in the market for some relatively inexpensive speakers (< $500).

I did a little research a while ago (basically just googling the thread topic) and looking back the only thing bookmarked are the ELAC Debut B6 speakers.  Not sure exactly why that is.

I do have the Monoprice Hybrid Tube Amp if the speakers need power.  This was an impulse buy and probably kind of stupid, but I still have it, so whatever.  The headphone out is noisy as all hell and has a big issue with the volume knob when turned.  Haven't tried it with speakers; I hope it's just a headphone jack issue.

I'm not really an audiophile, but I do have a pair of Beyer DT 770s that I really like the sonic signature of if that helps at all.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:07:36 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: Affordable bookshelf speakers?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
At that price point, I don't think you can go wrong with the ELAC Debut B6. The Audio-Engine speakers suggested were self-powered, I believe they do have them available in passive as well, but they appear to be more of a studio monitor.  Not that there's anything wrong with an accurate studio monitor, but for enjoyment listening personally I prefer something with a little more liveliness. You could probably add inexpensive stands and fill them with something to weigh them down for pretty cheap.

Is the noise from the headphone out only when you adjust the volume?  If so see if you can remove the volume knob, hit it with some contact cleaner (work that thing) might just be an inexpensive volume control that needs a little shot now and then. I'm you hear that noise floor hiss, then yuck.

Another that looked interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AQFE42/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

Wharfedale - Diamond 10.2

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »
I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I'm in the market for some relatively inexpensive speakers (< $500).

I did a little research a while ago (basically just googling the thread topic) and looking back the only thing bookmarked are the ELAC Debut B6 speakers.  Not sure exactly why that is.

I do have the Monoprice Hybrid Tube Amp if the speakers need power.  This was an impulse buy and probably kind of stupid, but I still have it, so whatever.  The headphone out is noisy as all hell and has a big issue with the volume knob when turned.  Haven't tried it with speakers; I hope it's just a headphone jack issue.

I'm not really an audiophile, but I do have a pair of Beyer DT 770s that I really like the sonic signature of if that helps at all.

Get a can of this, pull the volume knob off and spray it in the pot. May just fix your problem.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:35:21 AM »
if you are handy parts express sells speaker kits for bookshelf etc.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »
http://usheraudio.us/?wpsc-product=s-520-bookshelf

Usher S520 - they were less expensive than the list price when I called an authorized dealer.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
Celestine Sl6s or si's are great vintage speakers that can be bought for around 200 to 300 a pair. Very hard to beat. Upgrade the wiring and caps would be like adding a cherry on top.

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »
b5 elacs are an awesome speaker from Andrew jones
wow factor these speakers have big time.
I use a pair of b5s in the kithchen and get many comments on the sound they make.
they pair up better with a sub than the b6s

get the b6s if using with no sub
get the b5s if using with a sub

listening to post Malone stoney album and you would swear that the subs are on but they are off
and that's why I love the elac sound , they sound very deep and phatt
sound goes through a centrance dacmini straight into rega brio r amp to speakers
in to many words buy the elacs you will be so so happy you did the first second you put them on.
I was bitten in the first seconds of listening to them.....
this Andrew chap knows what he is doing when it comes to building speakers

g
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:15:15 PM by boyacrobat »

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
I went with the ELAC B6.

I did not look at the specifications carefully enough.  They are huge.  I think I misinterpreted what "bookshelf" speakers were.

Keep the recommendations coming if other people are interested, but I need to go with something much smaller.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
I tired those Wharfedale - Diamond 10.2's a few years ago and really liked them.

I ended up going with the Epos ELS 8's WITHOUT trying them (based on a few reviews)...didn't like them as much. I did get a really good deal on them though. :P

The Wharfedale's just sounded so much fuller.

I think for $275 I might grab a pair. They were $500-ish when I had previously checked them out.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
Won't even consider the Celestions? You are missing out on something really good. Also, you should consider Spica's TC 50 or 60's. Do not shy away from something used or vintage. My modded Celestion's SL6's are extraordinary and a screaming value on today's market price. They have a very small foot print and are true bookshelf speakers but, as all speakers, must be placed on stands for maximum performance. Think twice before ruling out.

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
Dunno about their product line now. but B&W used to make great sounding bookshelf speakers that weren't outrageously expensive.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
Their CDM 1 was always a great sounding speaker and should fall within a reasonable price point today!

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »
I just don't know how people can deal with a mid/tweeter not attached to a horn, haha (being stupid)  I bet most would need the port on the front though (e.g, Audioengine, Usher S520, and CDM1) but depends on placement.  No port on the Celestion's SL6's? Yes to stands to place them head height and away from the wall if port on the backside.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:33:23 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »
Celestion sl6s are bass reflex. No port on these.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com