Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Grrr...need help with echi miaMIDI soundcard  (Read 5523 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Grrr...need help with echi miaMIDI soundcard
« on: January 14, 2004, 05:44:07 PM »
Ok, i have a Tascam DA20 deck and i want to transfer a show i recorded on dat to my computer.  I ran a coax cable from the optical out to the spdif in on the extension cable that comes with the card.  No sound is coming thru my speakers...so i tried to access the digital in properties and when i select recording there are no options to select from in the properties.  Anyone have any clue what i'm doing wrong?  It appears that the spdif on the card is not activated, tia!

George
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:Grrr...need help with echi miaMIDI soundcard
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 05:47:12 PM »
I assume you've installed the latest drivers?

And this alone is a problem:

I ran a coax cable from the optical out to the spdif in on the extension cable that comes with the card

You can't run a coax cable from an optical output.  Make sure all your connections are properlly set up - i.e. coax to coax, optical to optical.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 05:50:51 PM »

And this alone is a problem:

I ran a coax cable from the optical out to the spdif in on the extension cable that comes with the card

You can't run a coax cable from an optical output.  Make sure all your connections are properlly set up - i.e. coax to coax, optical to optical.

jeepers creepers.  So i need an optical>spdif cable then eh?  But i don't get something, everywhere i check they state the optical i/o is spdif, so...i'm not sure what's wrong then.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 05:58:54 PM »

grabbing it now, hopefully this will do it
 :)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 06:04:37 PM »
jeepers creepers.  So i need an optical>spdif cable then eh?  But i don't get something, everywhere i check they state the optical i/o is spdif, so...i'm not sure what's wrong then.

The two primary types of cables across which consumer digital signals (S/PDIF) are sent are:

[1] coax
[2] optical

Coax cables transmit electrical signals.  Optical cables transmit light signals.  I do not know of any such thing as a coax > optical cable.  In order to convert from one format to the other (i.e coax > optical, or optical > coax), you need a digital format converter of some kind (several listed here).

From the specs, though, it looks to me like the Echo MiaMIDI supports inputting a coax S/PDIF signal.  And if the DA-20 specs are the same as the DA-20mkII, then it should support outputting a coax S/PDIF signal.  If this is the case, all you need is a 75-ohm coaxial cable with RCA connectors to connect the two machines.  Even Radio Shack has reasonably good quality 75-ohm coaxial cables with RCA connectors.
Roland R-05

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 06:10:57 PM »

The two primary types of cables across which consumer digital signals (S/PDIF) are sent are:

[1] coax
[2] optical

Coax cables transmit electrical signals.  Optical cables transmit light signals.  I do not know of any such thing as a coax > optical cable.  In order to convert from one format to the other (i.e coax > optical, or optical > coax), you need a digital format converter of some kind (several listed here).

From the specs, though, it looks to me like the Echo MiaMIDI supports inputting a coax S/PDIF signal.  And if the DA-20 specs are the same as the DA-20mkII, then it should support outputting a coax S/PDIF signal.  If this is the case, all you need is a 75-ohm coaxial cable with RCA connectors to connect the two machines.  Even Radio Shack has reasonably good quality 75-ohm coaxial cables with RCA connectors.

Hey Brian, thanks for the input.  Looks like i'm going to need one of these converter boxes, i already picked up the coax cable with rca connectors from jandr a few days back, unfortunately it didn't state what the ohm's were for the cable anywhere on the packaging, this cable did work when i plugged in coax out from my dvd deck>optical rca in to the deck.  Maybe it's not that easy for the soundcard i suppose.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 06:16:29 PM »
i already picked up the coax cable with rca connectors from jandr a few days back, unfortunately it didn't state what the ohm's were for the cable anywhere on the packaging

If the packaging said it's a "digital" cable, it's 75-ohms.

this cable did work when i plugged in coax out from my dvd deck>optical rca in to the deck.

Impossible.  You cannot run a coax output from your DVD into an optical input on your DAT deck without a digital format converter of some kind.  I suspect you actually did this:

DVD deck RCA/coax output > RCA/coax input on DAT deck

You just want to do the same thing with your DAT and soundcard, now:

DAT deck RCA/coax output > RCA/coax input on MiaMIDI

Once you have these two devices hooked up properly - and the drivers updated and your software configured correctly - you should be able to transfer from DAT > PC.
Roland R-05

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 06:26:39 PM »
i already picked up the coax cable with rca connectors from jandr a few days back, unfortunately it didn't state what the ohm's were for the cable anywhere on the packaging

If the packaging said it's a "digital" cable, it's 75-ohms.

this cable did work when i plugged in coax out from my dvd deck>optical rca in to the deck.

Impossible.  You cannot run a coax output from your DVD into an optical input on your DAT deck without a digital format converter of some kind.  I suspect you actually did this:

DVD deck RCA/coax output > RCA/coax input on DAT deck

You just want to do the same thing with your DAT and soundcard, now:

DAT deck RCA/coax output > RCA/coax input on MiaMIDI

Once you have these two devices hooked up properly - and the drivers updated and your software configured correctly - you should be able to transfer from DAT > PC.

Ok, so my assumption is that the software is not setup then because i did run the cable from the coax out to the coax in on my soundcard.  My soundcard has this external attachment which has the spdif's on it.  

I typically use cd wave to do the recording, i also have adobe audition.  My issue is that i do not see a spdif option in the Sound and Audio devices properties.  I did download the latest drives and restarted the pc...oh the cable was marked "digital" so that sounds right.  I think i'm missing a big step regarding setting up the spdif in the software and i'm clueless as to what else i need to do.  Thanks again  ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 06:30:29 PM »
What OS are you running - WinXP?
Roland R-05

Offline George

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 06:36:38 PM »
What OS are you running - WinXP?

Ah yes, XP.  

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 06:44:23 PM »
[1] Open your Computer Management Console - go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Computer Management.
[2] Within the CMC, click the Device Manager node on the left.
[3] Expand the Sound, Video and Game Controllers node on the right
[4] Find your Echo MiaMIDI in the device list (may be more than one entry)
[5] For each entry in [4], right-click the Echo MiaMIDI and verify the Device Status reads something like "This device is working properly."

Respond back here with:

[a] which Echo devices are in the list
their status, i.e. working properly or some kind of conflict
Roland R-05

Offline George

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 07:05:09 PM »
[1] Open your Computer Management Console - go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Computer Management.
[2] Within the CMC, click the Device Manager node on the left.
[3] Expand the Sound, Video and Game Controllers node on the right
[4] Find your Echo MiaMIDI in the device list (may be more than one entry)
[5] For each entry in [4], right-click the Echo MiaMIDI and verify the Device Status reads something like "This device is working properly."

Respond back here with:

[a] which Echo devices are in the list
their status, i.e. working properly or some kind of conflict

Ok, here's the list:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Mia (WDM)
Video Codecs

I check everything and they are all working properly.  Thanks again!

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 12:07:35 AM »
I'm all confused here, there should be no cable/signal type problems running DA-20 coax to echo coax ???

with soundcards, there is usually an icon in the system tray where you can access the properties of the soundcard.  Try toggling the consumer/pro signal buttons and the the digital input type (coax/optical).  If the software is worth a damn it should tell you when the 2 digital devices are locked on to each other.

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 08:40:46 AM »
I'm all confused here, there should be no cable/signal type problems running DA-20 coax to echo coax ???

with soundcards, there is usually an icon in the system tray where you can access the properties of the soundcard.  Try toggling the consumer/pro signal buttons and the the digital input type (coax/optical).  If the software is worth a damn it should tell you when the 2 digital devices are locked on to each other.

Ya telling me, i figured this should be a breeze.  What's pissing me off is that i cannot view the spdif properties when i pull up the full sized volume box (which has the lever for volume and balance levels).  Spdif is simply not listed on playback and recording, it's driving me mad thinking about it.  And another thing...the damn card did not have a manual with it!  I went to echo's site and downloaded it, when i get home from work i'm gonna read it but i doubt it's going to offer any explanation.  

What's odd is that when i first opened up the console software for the card i heard some buzzing and saw the digital in meters bouncing around, when i clicked analog then spdif input again the meters shot all the way up and stayed there and the buzzing stopped.  Beyond me what the hell is wrong with this thing.  Again, it's gotta be software, something isn't letting me access the spdif i/o.  Hopefully i'll get it figured out soon as i got some shows coming up.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 05:34:31 PM »
I have this card as well. runs great.
make sure you don't have any of the digital ins muted in the mia console. I think mine were muted at first.
-Jim

Offline George

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 05:54:40 PM »
I have this card as well. runs great.
make sure you don't have any of the digital ins muted in the mia console. I think mine were muted at first.
-Jim

Get's down on the floor and kisses jhirte's feet.

You, sir, are a fucking godsend!  IT WORKS!!!  IT WORKS!!!

(faints in excitement!)

Question: it's set to "internal" instead of s/pdif in the console...is that ok?  When i select S/pdif it goes crazy (meters jump up all the way and all you hear is noise)

Next up...figuring out how to use my Nomad jb3.  Gracias, senor!

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 12:58:42 PM »
internal is for when you are sending a digital signal, s/pdif in is when you are receiving one, I think.  If not, it's the other way around :D

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2004, 11:10:52 AM »
It will work either way as long as you have your DAT on and connected. I use SPDIF only when recording shows to my computer, and internal for everything else.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline George

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2004, 04:09:20 PM »
It will work either way as long as you have your DAT on and connected. I use SPDIF only when recording shows to my computer, and internal for everything else.

Ok, one more question: Headphones.  Can't use em with this card, or do i need to buy some sort of adapter to plug in a pair of cans?  Just wondering.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »
I went down to the shack and got 2 mono 1/4 plugs and RCA plugs. Then made cables for my comp speakers, but you can make it to mini pretty easy too. The card automatically selects if you are outputing or inputing analog consumer or pro signal, but there is a switch in the console window for +4 or -10.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2004, 07:33:20 PM »
You need it on Internal for playback or for recording pc -> dat or whatever..
SPDIF for running from the dat -> pc.

For headphones, youd need some kind of amp or mixer to plug the dual mono's into. I made some adapters to get the outputs to 1/8" stereo to run into my KLipsch Promedias... been wanting to get some Genelec's or something, but no $$ for that kinda toy! heh.

Once you figure out the mixer its pretty easy to use the card.. took me about an hour to get it all setup for my needs.
-Jim

Offline George

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2004, 10:47:45 PM »
You need it on Internal for playback or for recording pc -> dat or whatever..
SPDIF for running from the dat -> pc.

For headphones, youd need some kind of amp or mixer to plug the dual mono's into. I made some adapters to get the outputs to 1/8" stereo to run into my KLipsch Promedias... been wanting to get some Genelec's or something, but no $$ for that kinda toy! heh.

Once you figure out the mixer its pretty easy to use the card.. took me about an hour to get it all setup for my needs.
-Jim

Neat.  I have an altoids amp so i figure i could get a dual 1/4">mini cable and plug it into the altoids amp and drive my 7506's from there.  Should sound pretty good for critical listening when splitting tracks and looking for flaws on tapes i will be making with my dat.  

So, just to get this straight:  If i'm transferring a dat to the pc, the console must be set to Internal, correct?  

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2004, 10:53:19 PM »
"So, just to get this straight:  If i'm transferring a dat to the pc, the console must be set to Internal, correct? "

no, it needs to be set to s/pdif!

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2004, 01:20:14 AM »
"So, just to get this straight:  If i'm transferring a dat to the pc, the console must be set to Internal, correct? "

correct, might to have to toggle it back and forth to get it to lock or sync with the DAT, but yes, luvean is correct

Offline George

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2004, 02:56:57 PM »

correct, might to have to toggle it back and forth to get it to lock or sync with the DAT, but yes, luvean is correct

Ah, ok...that might explain why when i selected spdif last time a lot of noise came out of my speakers...i'll try it again by toggling it back and forth until it syncs up, thanks to all of you with helping me out!   ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com