Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap Microphone Stand  (Read 5021 times)

Offline shroominhumpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
Cheap Microphone Stand
« on: January 18, 2004, 05:28:28 PM »
Alright I, once again am in need of this community's infinite taping wisdom. Sometime in the near future I will recieve my first pair of full body mics (some AKG C1000s). As you can tell from my mic selection, I do not have a lot of cash. I do however have a lot of drive and am looking for an inexpensive DIY micstand or a creative idea someone has used to get themselves a mic stand. I would like the thing to be reasonable to transport, and about to go from 10'-12' high. Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome. If you have pics of some wacky stand you used or used back in your cash strapped days I would absolutely think you are the man or woman depending on your gender...Anyway look at me ramble. Thank you guys for your help.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Cheap Microphone Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 06:10:51 PM »
Alright I, once again am in need of this community's infinite taping wisdom. Sometime in the near future I will recieve my first pair of full body mics (some AKG C1000s). As you can tell from my mic selection, I do not have a lot of cash. I do however have a lot of drive and am looking for an inexpensive DIY micstand or a creative idea someone has used to get themselves a mic stand. I would like the thing to be reasonable to transport, and about to go from 10'-12' high. Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome. If you have pics of some wacky stand you used or used back in your cash strapped days I would absolutely think you are the man or woman depending on your gender...Anyway look at me ramble. Thank you guys for your help.

Jason

i bought the 13' version from these guys. excellent stand, prompt shipment and a smooth transaction.

10' version:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30080&item=2967661358

13' version:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30080&item=2980429395

you'll need to get a 3/8" > 5/8" thread adaptor from your local music store which will probably cost $3-5.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 06:41:25 PM »
T+ I may pick up one of the 10 ft stands.

TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline King Crimson

• Deez Nutz
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 06:44:15 PM »
These are some good stands.
I'll have a bloody mary, a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwhich.

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 06:45:51 PM »
rumor has it that zino may have an extra stand or two

ClevelandMike

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 07:43:40 PM »

i bought the 13' version from these guys. excellent stand, prompt shipment and a smooth transaction.

10' version:

13' version:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30080&item=2980429395

you'll need to get a 3/8" > 5/8" thread adaptor from your local music store which will probably cost $3-5.

marc

i was going to make a suggestion of the same exact stand from a vendor, but the e-bay auction has it for 7 bux less. it's basically a knock-off of a bogen-manfroto stand, i wouldn't have minded saving a few bucks, i'd go with this stand.

as for the threading adaptors 5/8" - 3/8"  a music store should have them (although all my mic accessories came with one), but to go down to 1/4" i had to hit up a photo store appearantly it's a threading adaptor to go from 1/4" (common on US cameras to the 3/8" (i think) which is used on european cameras. at least that's what the guy at the photo store told me, for $0.70 i picked up a few.

mike
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 07:44:49 PM by ClevelandMike »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 06:32:27 AM »
i have the 10 footer version, its a good stand, and very sturdy for my purposes.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline jb3newbie

• Taperssection Regular
  • Oktava MK012 > (soon to be) W-Mod UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 01:52:18 PM »
I also have the 10 foot stand...great stand....lightweight....wish it wasnt balck though....
Ubber is a cool sounding word

localtaper@taperssection.com

zowie

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 04:58:40 PM »
Interesting so many people are using those stands.

I emailed those guys with a question a couple months ago, and someone wrote back basically that the stands are for lights and he has no idea about their suitability for mics, and didn't seem to be aware that people were buying them for that purpose.

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 08:45:25 PM »
Is there a basic foot print size that is too big for general purposes (ie: at a crowd club)? I mean, is there a stand diamemter that you folks think is too big? The above mentioned stands seem to have a very large foot print (from looking at the pictures).
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 02:39:26 AM »
you don't have to open it up all the way, i open mine up just enuf so it sits sturdy on the floor, this also allows the mics to be raised higher.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 03:16:38 AM »
Is there a basic foot print size that is too big for general purposes (ie: at a crowd club)? I mean, is there a stand diamemter that you folks think is too big? The above mentioned stands seem to have a very large foot print (from looking at the pictures).

hi;

you can adjust the footprint diameter of these stands from max down to about 1'.  of course, you'll loose stability as the footprint decreases. but if you're in a tight spot, it will work.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 05:08:22 PM »
Thanks for that info on the footprint. I too was wondering about this. I think after I get paid this is deffinately the stand I am going to get. Anyone have any T-Bar suggestions...?

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 05:16:22 PM »
Many will tell you to steer away from SabraSom products. I have the Sabra T-bar & other than being made largely of plastic it works well. I like being able to use it both as a vert bar & a horiz. bar.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 05:58:23 PM »
bumpity bumpity bump bump bumpin through the night...
Herbert Marcuse

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com