Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting started...  (Read 2307 times)

Offline rjped1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Getting started...
« on: February 04, 2004, 07:23:26 AM »
Hey guys...
This forum is very helpful, and you all seem to be quite nice about helping others :)
Just thought I'd let you know that, and now onto my question.

I live in Australia, and I rarely see recordings of recent shows in Australia released, specifically from Melbourne. This is probably due to two things... smaller audiences so a smaller likelihood of getting someone willing and able to tape the show, and also the fact that things seem to be stricter here - they dont like you setting up mics to tape the shows.
Now, I think when bands come here they put on an awesome show every time, and I would LOVE to be able to record that, if not only for my own personal purposes, but to share with anyone who would listen...
Here comes my question (finally)
What would you guys advise to be a good starting setup, with the major priority being size... It needs to be as small as possible so it isn't easily noticed.... I'm talking more about microphones in this regard, the other gear I need I have a decent idea about.
Any help is greatly appreciated guys, and thanks for bothering to read this incredibly drawn out post :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Getting started...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 08:50:31 AM »
Budget?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 09:02:23 AM »
i'll let the stealthy boys give you the poop on what gear to get.

i'll tackle the access part.  to get authorised access, i would contact the bands directly, offering to tape and provide them a copy.  two ways to try this: start with smaller acts that are more easily approachable and just talk it up with them, once you do this a few times, the bands and the venue will get to recognise you and soon you'll have no trouble.  the other way would to be contacting a bigger act ie:waifs, who have been exposed to the scene in the states and will probably be more open to taping, get approval via email and take it with you to the show.  if there's a festival coming up, contact the promoter as early as possible and offer to archive it for him(this may take some investment on your part, but hey you want to get into taping anyway. right?)  just keep hammering away.  if the scene's that tight, and noone else is doing it, seems like a great business opportunity, recitals, choral groups, etc,  building a name for yourself.  good luck, and keep us informed.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 02:56:23 PM »
these are what I bought for my first mics, and actually the only mics I have now:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-2&type=store

If you can pay a little more than this, I would recommend grabbing these:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-4&type=store

basically the same mics, but the 2nd ones I mentioned allow you to change the caps from omni-directional, cardioid, to hyper-cardioid. (If you don't know what these terms mean, the website above has some faq sections that do a decent job of explaining).  The different caps will give you more flexibility but are definitely not completely necessary.

Either of the mics should be paired with this:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=310&item=SP-SPSB-1&type=store

the site will also explain why this will help the mics.

then you need the recorder.  you have many options.  if you need more help let me know.

ps, you may need to copy/paste the links
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 02:57:19 PM by Chris color »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline rjped1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 10:17:52 PM »
My budget is as yet unknown, I should have said that... I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'll need to get together. I don't wanna scrape the bottom of the barrel, I want to buy a decent setup, otherwise there is really no point.
Thanks John R, I'll give that a try for some of the smaller bands and see how lucky I can get :)

Chris, thats a great place for me to start I think, I'll do some more reading and once again, see how I fare.
Thanks guys

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 10:26:13 PM »
what i neglected to say was that id you get accepted around town, you wont need to stealth, and will be wanting more versatile and higher end gear.  catch 22

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 02:06:45 AM »
these are what I bought for my first mics, and actually the only mics I have now:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-2&type=store

If you can pay a little more than this, I would recommend grabbing these:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-4&type=store

basically the same mics, but the 2nd ones I mentioned allow you to change the caps from omni-directional, cardioid, to hyper-cardioid. (If you don't know what these terms mean, the website above has some faq sections that do a decent job of explaining).  The different caps will give you more flexibility but are definitely not completely necessary.

Either of the mics should be paired with this:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=310&item=SP-SPSB-1&type=store

the site will also explain why this will help the mics.

then you need the recorder.  you have many options.  if you need more help let me know.

ps, you may need to copy/paste the links

i like what mr. color has to say, the cmc-2 and the battery box setup is only $200.  If you want to go a little cheaper, there are some omnidirectional (Giant Squid and Dynamic Audio) options that go a little cheaper in the $90-$120 range.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com