Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie central  (Read 1658 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
newbie central
« on: February 04, 2004, 11:26:22 AM »
I have recently purchased MK012's and a UA5, however, as having never recorded before, I'm not sure exaclty what the process is.  I am recording to a laptop, so will I need extra software to record that doesn't come with the UA5?  I'm also looking for information on the tracking process, as I have never done this either.  Any info/help would be greatly appreciated, as there are 12 shows coming to my town in the next month alone, and I would like to get some good sounds outta this.  I don't mind reading if you can point me in the direction, or if anyone wanted to help a newb one on one, I'm up for that too.  Does anyone offer to track shows for those of us who do not know how to do it, are are not familiar enough with the band?
Thanx
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:newbie central
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 11:38:20 AM »
ok first off, where do you live that 12 shows youd like to see are coming to your town?  i think ive found my new place to live.

ok, i feel like i should teach a class for the ultimate newbies :-)  in any event, first off i hope you have your stand, cables, mounts, etc.  assuming you do, you are going to need some software.

some people love wavelab, some love soundforge, some use cdwav (ive yet to find anyone who LOVES it for recording purposes).  Those are really your main 3 recording options for live work.  (yes you could also use cakewalk, protools and so on, but i wouldnt reccomend it).    Plent of people out there are happy to help with tracking of bands that you dont know.  A lot of times I tape bands I know little about and I just split it all where it feels right.  If I think its one song going into the other, i just leave it as one big track.

Drop some more questions on me, I'll answer as soon as i can

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 12:02:07 PM »
I live in Fayetteville, AR.  And yes..we are lucky to have 12 shows coming, but we are pleasantly blessed with the shows we get here, not to mention local bands.  Here is the lineup for the next 1 1/2 months.  

Mountain of Venus(2-13), Speakeasy(2-14), Galactic(2-17), YMSB(2-18), Particle w/ Wasserman(2-23), AGP(2-28), Keller Williams(3-4),
Steve Kimock (3-11, 12, 13), The Slip(3-21), Umphrey's McGee(3-23)

Thanx for your quick reply.(i do have my setup..mics, cables(no patch cables tho..suggestions?), stands, etc..)

what about SBE's.  I have heard alot about these errors.....will soundforge eliminate this? or is this done when i transfer to shn?  does anyone edit/mix shows, or just transfer the way it was recorded?  so many questions..so little time.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain."
    • Show List
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 12:04:42 PM »
Fayetteville!!  Are you stealing my thunder???  I live in Little Rock and do occasional taping in Fayetteville.  I was at NMAS and MMW back in '03.

Shoot me an email!  gmichaelmorrison@hotmail.com
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 02:42:48 PM »
SBEs occur when CD trakcs are not cut on Sector Boundaries - hence the name:  Sector Boundary Errors.

To avoid SBEs, record and master with SF, or whatever.  After you are done, you should have 1 big wave file (or 2 for set show, etc.).  Open CDWave and cut tracks in there.  If you cut tracks in SF, you have to adjust some setting somewhere to get it right.  CDwave does it automatically.

SHNTOOLs can also "fix" any SBEs.

ETREE has lots of info on this one, check their forum...

Terry Watts
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com