Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: budget recordings  (Read 2615 times)

Offline KrAzY_BoB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • MOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
budget recordings
« on: February 04, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »
Im going to a festival in june that i really want to tape for my own enjoyment and for trading for other shows
i already have a sony mzn710 with a mic in port and was wondering whats the best budget mic i could get and where to get it

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re:budget recordings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 12:49:28 PM »
my friend uses the more expensive sony single point stereo to record everything, and he loves it.  to start out, it will be fine.  if you plan on getting into recording on a regular basis, hang out here for awhile,  i would try using your recorder a few time before june, to get the hang of it.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 01:27:01 PM »
welcome! depending on your application and price range you have tons of options.  I hope TLN didn't offend you

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 02:21:12 PM »
Superlux stereo kit on ebay about $125. you could even consider a ua-5 and do the mod yourself all that together would prob run $400

Offline KrAzY_BoB

• Taperssection Newbie
  • MOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 02:50:31 PM »
yeah well 125 is a bit out of range
i just want something to plug into what i have
i have a small mic but it picks up evrything probly even the wind
and i also need a way to go from md-> pc
i have a usb connection bt sonic stage the sony program doesnt take in analog recordings

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 04:04:43 PM »
yeah well 125 is a bit out of range
i just want something to plug into what i have

What is your range?  125 bucks is pretty much bargain basement for mics.  Of course, you can buy cheaper mics than that but frankly, it will sound terrible and you're probably better off not even bothering.

Unfortunately, this hobby can be quite expensive.

As far as conversion goes, you could go analog out on your md to analog in on your soundcard and use one of the many freeware programs to convert it (I think CDwav will take an analog input), but again, this is going to degrade quality even more as you are now going through an extra digital to analog and then analog back to digital conversion.  To avoid this, you'd need a soundcard with an optical input.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »
For transfers, if you only have a MD with analog out, then get an iMic, it's $35 and I haven't found a better solution, the sound quality is better than most soundcards.

Cheap mics--check out minidisco.com, soundprofessionals.com, reactive sounds, microphone madness.  You can find mics that aren't too bad for about $50 (but you get what you pay for).  You'll need to add a battery box in to something like that, though, for an extra $40 or so.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 04:56:32 PM »
Giant Squids - or whatever they call themselves now. Didn't they have some pretty good mini-cardioids for around $90-120? They look similar in size to Core Sound or Sound Professionals, but they are a little less expensive. Pretty sure they also include the battery box in that price. I only heard a few recordings done with them, but the sound was -very- similar to the SP-CMC-4s that I've been using for stealth ops.

Definately a good bargain, especially since a huge limiting factor here is the transfer.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 06:22:30 PM »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 06:52:26 PM »
you will need one of these if ya wanna use your line in on your Md player, If ya use the Mic in you will use the Batt from the player , but it may not sound so hot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3702145316&category=3278#ebayphotohosting

then here is the cheapest Mini mic's I have found. I paid $70

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4786&item=3075615365#ebayphotohosting

I own Both and would be willing to sell together for $75, I used both twice and then got some Oktava's and have never used them since

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com