Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem Recording With A Preamp Into My MD's Line In (Help)  (Read 2580 times)

thierryhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
Problem Recording With A Preamp Into My MD's Line In (Help)
« on: August 04, 2004, 02:58:13 AM »
Alright, I went to Modest Mouse tonight to record. Everything seemed to go fine, I was in a good place @ the venue (right behind the soundboard), mics in hat, venue was a tad bassy but i didn't worry because I had my Preamp this time. Anyway, I finish up get in my car to listen, and the recording is HORRIBLY BASSY. The first show I taped, I plugged my microphone into the "Mic In" and had my level @ like 2, and I still got bass feedback, but not even as much as I did running this time through the Line In. It's odd.

My Microphone: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3281&item=5713312136

The mic sounds unbelievably good, that's why I'm wondering why this recording turned out so distorted and bassy. Anyway, I think I had everything hooked up correctly. My preamp is a http://www.visivoxtechnologies.com/products.htm, and I connected the line input to the correct spot and had my microphone and everything correct I assume. My Line In recording level was at about 15 (goes up to 30), and the decibel's seemed to stay constant in the middle (which is what i want correct?) Is 15 way way too much when using Line In, is that why it is so distorted? I have no idea what went wrong, I thought a preamp would help, all it did was seem to hurt...
Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Joe.

thierryhenry

Re: Problem Recording With A Preamp Into My MD's Line In (Help)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 11:23:04 AM »
Bump.

Offline Fisherking

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 11:52:38 AM »
I´m not a expert but I used a similar setup and the signal itself got to hot for the MD to handle. It didn´t really matter if the levels only got halfway up, the tape got distorted anyway.

On my battbox/preamp I got a -20db option so I switched to that and I was fine.

It says that yor mics has -40db sensitivity but maybe the music was to loud anyway. Hopefully someone else could explain it to you better.
DPA 4061/SPcmc4->SP SB1/AD20->SonyD100/JB3

thierryhenry

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 03:07:18 PM »
Yeah, cause I really don't understand it. And it seems at the concert where I used "Mic In," the music seemed alot louder, than it was last night, and yet the Mic In recording although a few times is a tad bassy is nowhere as badly distorted as the setup I did last night...It's quite odd.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 07:20:37 PM »
How about a sample?  Not sure if you're talking lots of bass or some kind of overload.  Modest Mouse would probably push you past the mic limit of 110 dB.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

thierryhenry

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 11:30:57 AM »
Ok after some experimenting, I transfered the Modest Mouse tape into Soundforge and found that there was only sound coming from the left channel, (which was overly distorted and bassy). I figured this could either be a bad connection into the preamp, or something with my microphone (an overload or something). I tested the Giant Squid's (my other mics) with my stereo @ full blast, and noticed the same exact product with sound only being produced in the left channel. So I guess we can rule out of the options of either of my microphones being defective (also the fact that I've used both of them for about 5-6 Mic In recordings with have turned out fine other than the apparent reasons of using Mic In). Anyway, the battery box is a Visivox, like I've said, and so I figure now I must get a real BB from SP. Which do you recommend 6 or 1?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 02:20:43 AM »
the one is errr....more structurally sound

try to get another BB to see if it's your mic>BB connection causing the problem

thierryhenry

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 11:41:12 AM »
Got a SP-SBSP-6 last night, and new cables, everything is perfect, and the Walkmen tape sounds perfect from last night.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 07:07:28 PM »
Got a SP-SBSP-6 last night, and new cables, everything is perfect, and the Walkmen tape sounds perfect from last night.

Kudos  ;)
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 07:28:39 PM »
Alright, I went to Modest Mouse tonight to record. Everything seemed to go fine, I was in a good place @ the venue (right behind the soundboard), mics in hat, venue was a tad bassy but i didn't worry because I had my Preamp this time. Anyway, I finish up get in my car to listen, and the recording is HORRIBLY BASSY. The first show I taped, I plugged my microphone into the "Mic In" and had my level @ like 2, and I still got bass feedback, but not even as much as I did running this time through the Line In. It's odd.

My Microphone: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3281&item=5713312136

The mic sounds unbelievably good, that's why I'm wondering why this recording turned out so distorted and bassy. Anyway, I think I had everything hooked up correctly. My preamp is a http://www.visivoxtechnologies.com/products.htm, and I connected the line input to the correct spot and had my microphone and everything correct I assume. My Line In recording level was at about 15 (goes up to 30), and the decibel's seemed to stay constant in the middle (which is what i want correct?) Is 15 way way too much when using Line In, is that why it is so distorted? I have no idea what went wrong, I thought a preamp would help, all it did was seem to hurt...
Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Joe.
Hi there thanks for the good coments on my mics I think the problem is that the VISIVOX pre is too hot for your line input what we do is our preamps have two settings one is -27 db one is +27 db the -27 db is for recording loud shows we strongly suggest using a preamp that has a padded input for recording live shows in order to prevent overloading the line input of your preamp remember that most line inputs are -20 db to -20 db we give you an additional 7 db of headroom at -27 db talk to Jon at Visivox and see if he can mod your preamp so that it has a negitive db setting around -25 to 27 db I am sure he can if not you can always purchase one from us but try talking to Jon at visivox hes a nice guy and really knows his stuff his preamp is geared towards his mic but it will work with other mics as well but not mine :( oh well if you are still having problems let me know you can email me thru my ebay store

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 12:20:18 AM »

Well, I see I'm not the only one to run into this little problem with this setup (Church Audio omnis + Visivox pre-amp).  :)  I've had no problem with this setup at quieter shows, but haven't (yet) made a superb tape at loud shows.

Which pre-amp do you have, though?  The one I have has a lo and a high gain option, which might help me in future... I have only been to two (loud-ish) concerts with this setup, and both times I was stupid and didn't bother dropping to low gain.  I got distortion in both cases.  The results in the second case were passable, but I have to do some testing to see if the problem is the mics or something else. 

You could always do the poor-man's-attenuator trick, and go to Radio Shack and pick up an inline headphone volume control, and drop that between the mic and the pre-amp...  but if the problem is overloading of the mics themselves, then that won't help much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com