Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 7 Pin help  (Read 3904 times)

Offline willreed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
7 Pin help
« on: March 04, 2004, 11:30:37 AM »
I recently bought a used d-8, eco-charge, and prodigital 7-pin.  I went to patch at Keller in Memphis last night, and I couldn't get the signal to pass through my 7-pin.  The cable is cosmetically fine, and the problem is not with the d-8.  A couple other tapers helped me fool around with it, but it was dark, and I don't think that anyone was thinking too clearly.  Any ideas of what could be wrong?  Is there a quick fix, or should I just have it sent in to be fixed?

Thanks and any help is appreciated

-Will

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:7 Pin help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 11:43:30 AM »
Out of what kind of deck did you patch?  If it's a passive 7-pin cable, that may have been the problem depending on what kind of deck was upstream.  Check out a link titled "Understanding the 7-pin" in the pinned thread of this forum for more details on this issue.

Are you sure you had the incoming signal hooked up to the proper RCA connector/cable on the 7-pin?  (I've done this before!)

Have you checked continuity across RCA cable input end and the actual pin in the 7-pin head which carries the incoming signal?  FWIW, the 7-pin pinouts so you know which pin to check are in the Archival Info forum.

To better help troubleshooting, how exactly have you ruled out the problem does not lie with the D8?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 04:00:22 PM »
were you coming out of M1?

the water's clean and innocent

Offline willreed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 11:13:16 AM »
I was patching out of another D-8.  The 7-pin is active.  Everything was set up properly, and the signal came through when I ran another patcher's 7-pin into my deck, so I'm pretty sure that it's the cable that is faulty.  

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 11:20:44 AM »
I was patching out of another D-8.  The 7-pin is active.  Everything was set up properly, and the signal came through when I ran another patcher's 7-pin into my deck, so I'm pretty sure that it's the cable that is faulty.  

Good info, Will.  So the question remains:

Have you checked continuity across RCA cable input end and the actual pin in the 7-pin head which carries the incoming signal?  FWIW, the 7-pin pinouts so you know which pin to check are in the Archival Info forum.

Pick up an inexpensive (~$10) multimeter at your local electronics shop and you'll find out real fast if the cable is bad.  And if you don't want to drop the cash on the multimeter, trust me - it will come in handy again.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com