Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable length / delay  (Read 10957 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Cable length / delay
« on: February 12, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »
Couldn't decide on which forum to post this in so hopefully this one will work.  FWIW, I found nothing in the archive or by searching.

Does anyone know what the calculation is for delay created by cable length?

Now that i'm running 4 channels I have two sets of XLR's.  One set is 15' and the other is 25'.  Does that extra 10' create a delay?  I know that in video that at 18' you start to notice delay and some degradation of signal.   While I know that this will be something I can now fix in post it would be a whole lot easier if I knew the formula or calculation for it going into post.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Cable length / delay
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:39:20 PM »
Don't think the cable length has much to do with it but I could be wrong. What's important here is how far apart the MICS are (not how long the cables are). Add roughly a 1 ms delay for every foot the mics are apart (and if you're matrixing then it's the distance from the stage mics to your AUD mics). Once the sound is picked up by the mics, I think you are running at the speed of electrons at that point, so no delay, but prior to the mics picking up the sounds, the delay is very real. Now at ten feet, it might not be an issue, but at 20-30+ feet definitely. Someone care to correct me on this?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »
Don't think the cable length has much to do with it but I could be wrong. What's important here is how far apart the MICS are (not how long the cables are). Add roughly a 1 ms delay for every foot the mics are apart (and if you're matrixing then it's the distance from the stage mics to your AUD mics). Once the sound is picked up by the mics, I think you are running at the speed of electrons at that point, so no delay, but prior to the mics picking up the sounds, the delay is very real. Now at ten feet, it might not be an issue, but at 20-30+ feet definitely. Someone care to correct me on this?

Thanks for the info. I plan on running all 4 mics at the distance to stage though.  So having one set closer or further back is not an issue.  Basically i'm running two omni's split 36" and a pair of cards/hypers in the center on a vert bar.

o
o-----o-----o    <--- from behind

o-----oo-----o    <--- from overhead

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »
I wouldn't think delay is going to be much of an issue for you. In comes into play much, much more in a FOB AUD plus SBD matrix sitatuation. Or when you have onstage/stage-lip AUD being mixed with FOB AUD or something like that.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »
One of those useless facts that stuck with me from when I was a kid was a story on 60 Minutes. Must have been in the late sixties when I was first getting interested in astronomy. The story was about an instructor at the US Naval Academy. In one of her physics lectures a teaching aid she used was a piece of wire just under a foot long. She explained that was the distance light travelled in free space in one nano-second. Given resistence from the wire, dielectric and some things I no longer recall, she said a good approximation of electrons in a wire was 11 inches travel per nano-second. So using that rule of thumb, a ten foot difference in length would be roughly 11 nano-seconds in time. Can any of the usual editing programs deal in time on that small a scale?

<edit> Try googling "nanosecond in feet" for more info; a quick read of results, #3 seems to have the most exact answer and brings up several other points. Looks like you'll experience more delay from the other circuits in the chain than from the difference in cable lengths. </edit>
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:42:58 PM by flipp »

Offline MarkE

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 03:51:42 PM »
It should, no, it will be no problem at all... 10 feet difference is nothing.. Once I ran a 6 foot cable on my left side and roughly 42 feet on the other. (2 15 ft. and a 12 ft cable together.) We thought for sure there would be an issue, but there was none.. I played it back onto the computer and listened over and over and over again, and came up with nothing.. I actually think I had a little less high end frequencey in the longer side from the length of cable and the fact there was 3 different connectors in line with it. But even that is possibly just extreme over-analyzation by myself (which I do sometimes...)
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »
Thanks guys  +T to you all.  I know the video concerns and just didn't want to pick up a matching length pair of XLR's to avoid any sort of delay.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
You're much more likely to run into tiny phase differences (e.g., comb filtering) in the setup you describe than any sort of delay issues.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:03:28 PM »
You're much more likely to run into tiny phase differences (e.g., comb filtering) in the setup you describe than any sort of delay issues.

Exactly, so it is much better to mix the two mic pairs in post where you can invert the polarity on one set if necessary.

I have a pair of 20' and a pair of 50' XLRs, which are my main sets of mic cables.  I notice no significant delay (< 1milisec) whenever I run both pairs on the same stand.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 06:15:12 PM »

Exactly, so it is much better to mix the two mic pairs in post where you can invert the polarity on one set if necessary.

I have a pair of 20' and a pair of 50' XLRs, which are my main sets of mic cables.  I notice no significant delay (< 1milisec) whenever I run both pairs on the same stand.

I plan on doing ALL mixing in post for sure.  I just wanted to be prepared so that I wasn't killing myself looking for answers on the delay issue.

Thanks guys

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 07:12:45 PM »
There is a delay but it can not be heard by the human ear. There are differences in resistance. Longer cable = higher resistance = reduced output at the end of the longer cable but again the differences between 15 feet and 25 would be so small it would be ridiculous. Now for speaker cable I firmly believe that all lengths should be kept the same. So I would not worry about proportional delay. It does exist for longer cable lengths but we are talking in the order of 1 millionths of a second. So your ok. I think as a rule its a good idea to keep all cable lengths the same when ever possible but its not 100% necessary.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »
One of those useless facts that stuck with me from when I was a kid was a story on 60 Minutes. Must have been in the late sixties when I was first getting interested in astronomy. The story was about an instructor at the US Naval Academy. In one of her physics lectures a teaching aid she used was a piece of wire just under a foot long. She explained that was the distance light travelled in free space in one nano-second. Given resistence from the wire, dielectric and some things I no longer recall, she said a good approximation of electrons in a wire was 11 inches travel per nano-second. So using that rule of thumb, a ten foot difference in length would be roughly 11 nano-seconds in time. Can any of the usual editing programs deal in time on that small a scale?

<edit> Try googling "nanosecond in feet" for more info; a quick read of results, #3 seems to have the most exact answer and brings up several other points. Looks like you'll experience more delay from the other circuits in the chain than from the difference in cable lengths. </edit>

If the speed of light through the cable is 11/12 ns/ft (considering impedence) and audible delay is 20ms, then the length of cable necessary to produce an audible delay is 3,472 miles, or roughly the distance between Washington, DC and Sacramento, CA.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 10:32:36 PM »

If the speed of light through the cable is 11/12 ns/ft (considering impedence) and audible delay is 20ms, then the length of cable necessary to produce an audible delay is 3,472 miles, or roughly the distance between Washington, DC and Sacramento, CA.

Like I said there is a delay but I dont think anyone can hear it :) Nice job on the math....
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 09:44:34 AM »
very helpful, thanks so much.
+T
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Digital Quality

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »

Haha - 20 electrons got on in Detroit and 12 departed in Chicago....
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com