Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wilkinson Audio stereo mount clips  (Read 3280 times)

Offline melontracks

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
Wilkinson Audio stereo mount clips
« on: April 26, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
https://www.wilkinsonaudio.com/product-category/hardware/mic-clips/

Does anyone have experience with Wilkinson's X-Y or ORTF clips?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/wilkinson-audio-mic-clips

Seems there's a lot of 3D printed bits like these out there. Perhaps you have one you prefer? These all use the standard mic clip for one mic, then attach the second mic to the first. Wit that design, would there be a risk of the first mic sagging/rotating in the standard clip on the stand?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:25:17 AM by melontracks »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Wilkinson Audio stereo mount clips
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »
I, and many others, have used the SRS mounts available through Shapeways, and I don't know if I've ever seen a complaint about them.  These Wilkinson mounts might be good too, but my guess is most people around here would be using the SRS mounts.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »

I don't use any 3D printed mounts at all but my .02 is that the Shapeways mounts look they make a little more sense for stereo mounting - they can be shockmounted in the middle providing the same isolation to each side of the mount.

I would be nervous that the drag of the cable even if properly looped for isolation would put too much weight on one side of these mounts. It would really have to grip one of the mics to stop it from rotating.

Cool idea though. Handy for pointing two SM57s at a guitar cabinet or something like that.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »
I, and many others, have used the SRS mounts available through Shapeways, and I don't know if I've ever seen a complaint about them.  These Wilkinson mounts might be good too, but my guess is most people around here would be using the SRS mounts.

Right on. I read about these guy's in another post here about their clips for CA-14s and saw they have clips for CA-11s...didn't think to check to see if they make them for a wider variety of mics. Looks like solid gear.

Today I gave The stereophonic zoom by Michael Williams a quick read. Seems i might best be served just buying/fabricating something that allows nearly infinite adjustment.  :hmmm:

Man, there's a lot to learn...

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
Man, there's a lot to learn...

Yeah, definitely.
I just dropped almost 500 in accessories to complete my first rig so I can run 4 channel (rycote mounts, movo screens, camera rail to run a-b omni etc, mounts and clamps for that, more cables).
Hopefully they all arrive by next weekend so I can cover Mike Gordon and Spafford.

Everyone here will tell you to go SRS and rightly so.
Their are few complaints and many tapers using them.  They are a good value for such an easy setup.
Use the search bar to help you find how to mount them.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:44:47 AM »
Thanks, I will.

I've been devouring information that I know i won't retain unless I use it, so while I'm researching and acquiring my open taping gear, in parallel i'm trying to make connections locally for good practice opportunities. My town has it's own little symphony, a university with a music school, a playhouse, and a bowl (like a mini hollywood bowl) that I'm figuring I can make inroads with to practice, practice, practice. I don't know any other way i'm going to learn (or retain) all the stuff i need to know. There's probably five to ten local shows a year here that i really care about and would be excited to get a good recording of, less than half of which i expect i'll be able to get permission to tape. So i'm going to have to practice on other performances.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com