Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: compact 24 bit ad (micro, r1, r9, etc.) vs mod sbm-1  (Read 1815 times)

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
compact 24 bit ad (micro, r1, r9, etc.) vs mod sbm-1
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »
I am close to buying a mod sbm-1 for my stealth rig and was wondering if anyway has done comparisons between small 24 bit ad converters vs mod sbm-1? Reason being wondering if I should upgrade from a mod jb3 (120 gigs) w/a mod sbm-1 or get a small 24 bit unit to go direct from my sd mp-2?

One buddy posted the microtrak ad sucks and the mod sbm-1 is much better.

Appreciate the info/advice.

Thanks,
murf

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: compact 24 bit ad (micro, r1, r9, etc.) vs mod sbm-1
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
if you need a preamp as well, the mic2496 is pretty good
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: compact 24 bit ad (micro, r1, r9, etc.) vs mod sbm-1
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:52:52 AM »
I have not done or heard a straight comparison, but I used to run a modSBM-1 and currently have a MT and I can say without hesitation that the modSBM-1 blows away the A/D in the MT.  I really do not like the MT's A/D; it sounds harsh to my ears, while the modSBM-1 was among the best I ever heard from a 16 bit unit.  The Apogee units sounded better to me, but I would not purchase one right now due to the word clock issues; the SBM is a much more reliable device at this point and thus makes a better purchase.

I think that you may want to think about whether to go to 24 bit or stick to 16 bit sound.  I really like 24 bit recordings better; they have a much greater sense of space and staging, but this is just how I hear things.  I don't know of any, nor do I run any 24 bit A/D converters that would be the same price as a modSBM-1, but maybe some others on the board do.

One drawback to putting the modSBM-1 in front of the MT is that you will not be able to record in 24 bit mode because the SBM is only a 16 bit device.  Just something to consider.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com