Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: matrices w/ one source in mp3.  (Read 5620 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
matrices w/ one source in mp3.
« on: November 27, 2003, 08:42:46 PM »
heres the story that goes along with it.  I taped a show okmIIr>A3>M1 a while back (source 1).  A few months later the band (trying to give back to the fans) releases the show in mp3 w/ the last song cut (source2).  is there any point in making a matrix of this?  the aud sounds on par w/ the sbd.  if so how would this be done?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re:matrices w/ one source in mp3.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 11:38:54 AM »
Hey - if you like playing around, go for it and judge it when you're done.  But as many of us have learned, doing a proper post-mix from 2 sources is not something you just whip together....search the archives for "matrix" and you'll see some of the issues.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 11:43:19 AM »
To more directly answer your question:

put the mp3 into wave format
put both sources into a multitrack environment (I use Cool Edit Pro - use whatever you like)
check timing and decide to cut/splice or stretch - if you stretch, do it to the one you think will be less dominant in the final mix
line them up
make any decisions on eq and/or mix levels
mixdown to a new file

I like doing the mixdowns in 32 bit and then dither down later.  That would be in the settings of your multitrack software.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 01:29:59 PM »
i think one of the main things that i was wondering is if you would still get the 'ticks/pops' associated with working w/ mp3.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 10:15:59 PM »
ahhh...well if you're dealing with individual tracks then you're going to have to line them up one song at a time.  I'd think you should be able to get rid of the tick/pops.  I believe they arise from 'zero filling' to match the mp3 frame size (just like cd sectors).

You'll be doing some work here my friend.  Each track needs to be edited and time aligned with your mic source.   Do one and see if you have the taste for doing up a whole show!  Lotsa work.
KM 184 > V2 > R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com