Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD > DVD (Mac)  (Read 9916 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
HD > DVD (Mac)
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:33:44 PM »
looking to figure out how to go from my Canon HV20 (HD footage) to DVD on a Mac
if anyone has info or links please lmk
I have iMovie and FCP, i like capturing to iMovie because it is easier for me (for some reason FCP doesn't always want to work correct)
willing to export to FCP if need be
thanks for any pointers/help
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
Re: HD > DVD (Mac)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
Do you want to downrez to standard definition or make a avchd dvd that will play on a bluray player or ps3?

Offline willndmb

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
Do you want to downrez to standard definition or make a avchd dvd that will play on a bluray player or ps3?
pref avchd but down to sd would be ok
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »
Final Cut

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »
Final Cut
i got that far
i don't know what to do in fc
i am looking for tips/pointers of where i can read/see the steps to take in fcp that will allow me to export via compressor to dvdsp and burn
(when i search google - i get results about a program that will convert the files but have not found anything directly to fcp)
thanks

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
Youre on the right track, we always use imovie to import because it will make clips of every time you stop recording, great for when youre making a music video. you should be able it pull up those clips in a finder window and drag/drop them into the media browser and then place them from there onto the timeline. What kind of file does the HV20 make?

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »
hdv 1080i

i found one link that said to use applepro (or something - have to look for the exact name) as the fcp setting and that will allow for native editing in the timeline of fcp
but i have not found much on exporting the finished timeline to disc

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
when you place the clips in the timeline, it should pop up a note that asks if you want to use a certain preset, I always say yes to this as FCP looks at the clips and picks the right setting generally. As far as exporting your final product, use compressor and start with a preset for HD and tweak it for what you need.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
when you place the clips in the timeline, it should pop up a note that asks if you want to use a certain preset, I always say yes to this as FCP looks at the clips and picks the right setting generally. As far as exporting your final product, use compressor and start with a preset for HD and tweak it for what you need.
thanks
i plan to do a small test run over the weekend if i can

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:47:47 AM »
HV20 is tape based.  So you want to capture in imovie and export onto DVD? well when you import using HDV then when finished with your project> you can send it to iDVD to add titles and chapters> save as > TS_Video folder, or save as ... disc image then burn to DVD. 

If you are using AVCHD based camcorder ( which the Hv20 and HVxx series does not) you can use Voltaic which takes avchd files and converts to .mov quicktime files and can be used with imovie HD 6 which is really the best program from imovie with using the slick rick plug ins, you looks just as good as FCP.

hope it helps

Offline willndmb

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
HV20 is tape based.  So you want to capture in imovie and export onto DVD? well when you import using HDV then when finished with your project> you can send it to iDVD to add titles and chapters> save as > TS_Video folder, or save as ... disc image then burn to DVD. 

If you are using AVCHD based camcorder ( which the Hv20 and HVxx series does not) you can use Voltaic which takes avchd files and converts to .mov quicktime files and can be used with imovie HD 6 which is really the best program from imovie with using the slick rick plug ins, you looks just as good as FCP.

hope it helps
what if i wanted to capture in iMovie but build/burn in DVD Studio Pro?
same idea? what would you recommend as the best export file type?
thanks

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 12:45:18 AM »

hope it helps
what if i wanted to capture in iMovie but build/burn in DVD Studio Pro?
same idea? what would you recommend as the best export file type?
thanks

What really sucks is that imovie HD6 is like no other, meaning its written on a different codec than imovie 8, 9 and now 11.  YOU can capture in Imovie Hd 6 and use those files to work in other programs.  I know you can capture in Imovie HD6 and use that in say imovie 09 but again the later versions of Imovie drop frames making it a so called more friendly versions to work on when uploading to the web, but to the more serious quality minded folks that does not do so well.  I dont know if capturing in Imovie HD 6 that you can use in DVD studio Pro, that i dont know.  Just that capturing in any imovie above HD6 it does drop frames so that so called editing is easier.  I would have to believe but again not exactly sure, but if you were to build and capture in imovie HD 6 what is great is that you can then export your " version" back to the camera if tape based and save it on " tape" then import into Studio Pro. But again that might not be necessary because you might be able to go right to Imovie HD 6 to DVD studio pro.  usually the best export file is " Best quality or best performance i think its called.  dont quote me on that.  For example, i filmed Roger Waters using panny DMC 7 AVCHD and just took the files and converting them to .mov files or quicktime files without lose of frames using Voltaic.  This is a bunch of rambling i apologize, lmk a little more about STudio Pro?  I just know that if you are using HDV or HD taped based video do not use Imovie above HD 6 because it inherently will give a poor visual quality due to the dropped frames. I am sure this probably did not help to much.  But i do work a lot with imovie HD6, so if you i can help zero in on the topic please LMK

thanks

( worst reply in history--i read this and it sucks--sorry)

next one i hope to do better

Offline willndmb

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »
ok let me ask you this
do you know if i can get iMovie HD (6.0.3) to install on a 2010 mbp?
i have the iMovie HD from my imac and somewhere i have the original install discs that came with the iMac
besides the dropped frame aspect, i am used to iMovie HD since I use it for 99% of my dvd stuff vs the newer versions
thanks

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
Just that capturing in any imovie above HD6 it does drop frames so that so called editing is easier.  ... <snip> ...
 For example, i filmed Roger Waters using panny DMC 7 AVCHD and just took the files and converting them to .mov files or quicktime files without lose of frames using Voltaic. 

Is that a known fact, that capturing in >iMovie 6 causes dropped frames?  When capturing with iMovie, the footage is transcoded into AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) which can then be edited by iMovie and/or FCE/FCP.  As far as I know, that process does not result in any dropped frames.  I've never experienced any problems capturing in iMovie 9 and using the resultant files for editing in iMovie 9 or FCE.  I have used Voltaic as well, for when I only had the .mts files and not the entire AVCHD folder structure (which iMovie needs)and that works well too. My understanding is that Voltaic is doing the same thing, transcoding to AIC.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 04:41:11 AM »
Just that capturing in any imovie above HD6 it does drop frames so that so called editing is easier.  ... <snip> ...
 For example, i filmed Roger Waters using panny DMC 7 AVCHD and just took the files and converting them to .mov files or quicktime files without lose of frames using Voltaic. 

Is that a known fact, that capturing in >iMovie 6 causes dropped frames?  When capturing with iMovie, the footage is transcoded into AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) which can then be edited by iMovie and/or FCE/FCP.  As far as I know, that process does not result in any dropped frames.  I've never experienced any problems capturing in iMovie 9 and using the resultant files for editing in iMovie 9 or FCE.  I have used Voltaic as well, for when I only had the .mts files and not the entire AVCHD folder structure (which iMovie needs)and that works well too. My understanding is that Voltaic is doing the same thing, transcoding to AIC.

Drop frames may not be the proper term but yes it is transcoded to AIC but i do know that any imovie above HD6 is not structured the same way. Imovie9, imovie11, the resulting file is supposedly not as high quality picture as imovie HD6.  I will try to research more and try to find the proper terminology.  I use the voltaic on all my AVCHD files to turn them in usable footage with imovie HD6 and use the slick rick plug ins.  Maybe that was another reason why I use imovie HD6 because the fact you need the whole folder structure for imovie. And imovie 9 and imovie 11 jsut have very limiting editing, but as you use FCP then of course there is not that shortfall.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com