Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Time to change up my 2 channel playback.  (Read 11236 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Time to change up my 2 channel playback.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
A Will Vincent refurbished ST 70 is the way to go if you want a Dynaco. I would also look at a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. You may not need a sub with them.

What’s the cost on a Will Vincent Dynaco? The ST-70 Series 3 above is 1500 new.

mcfoster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 07:42:24 PM »
I find that if you can keep your Cornwalls in your room corners, the bass is nice and accurate. As you move them away from the walls, it can become a little lean.

I definitely can’t corner the Cornwall’s in my room. Knee walls and sloped ceilings.

I never liked them mimicking khorns at 45 degrees each, but I did spend a bunch of time with them about 3 feet off of my corners with a bit of toe in. Huge soundstage, but a little lean like I said. With knee walls and all, close is good enough probably, you could easily have too much bass, it has a lot to do with your front end. Watts don't matter with Klipsch, but tone does. I honestly was not satisfied with them until I changed tubes a few times, some just have more bottom than others. As far as placement, you know when you find the best sounding spot in the room at a venue, and it's always the best spot regardless of which band is there? Positioning them is kind of like that in reverse, at least that was my experience. -Marc

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 10:54:05 PM »
I don't know anything about tubes, or Klipsch, but I really hope you're able to capture the sound from that barn party.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ts

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 11:17:13 AM »
I don't know anything about tubes, or Klipsch, but I really hope you're able to capture the sound from that barn party.

The barn is still there. I’m gonna take a picture of it today. Lots of memories. Another guy was so floored by the La Scalas that he built his own pair. 3/4 in. birch plywood for the cabinets. I don’t know where or how he sourced the components, but he did a good job. Very heavy.

The guy that owned the shop where these were purchased delivered them to the barn. Helped with setup. He even stayed for awhile. The name of the shop was called The Stereo House. Owners name was Tom something. Just saw him in local restaurant recently. Nodded and smiled. Many late nights at the Stereo House. ;)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »
Here is a shot of one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:40:06 PM by raymonda »

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »
Here is a shot of one.

something about that almost military styling that I really dig
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline heathen

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 05:48:16 PM »
Here is a shot of one.

something about that almost military styling that I really dig

Yeah!  Looks kinda' like Yuri Gagarin's amp of choice.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 06:20:50 AM »
Here is a shot of one.

Ugh!

Reminds me of smelly old military surplus radios from the 40's

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:03:18 PM by 108Ω »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 03:19:21 AM »

I'm with 108Ω saying UGH on the styling. Like styling matters. But I like my gear to stack, in case I need to "go vertical!"
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ts

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »
So I ended up with Cornwall’s. Right now running them with a 100w integrated solid state and would like to try a tube amp. The intro pricing on the Dynaco 3 is over so that’s not an option. Any recos on an entry level tube amp around $500 new. Doesn’t have to be integrated. I can use my 902 as a pre. Thanks.

Offline heathen

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 08:42:15 AM »
So I ended up with Cornwall’s. Right now running them with a 100w integrated solid state and would like to try a tube amp. The intro pricing on the Dynaco 3 is over so that’s not an option. Any recos on an entry level tube amp around $500 new. Doesn’t have to be integrated. I can use my 902 as a pre. Thanks.

I don't know much about tube amps other than the fact that there are a lot on the market, particularly at lower prices, where the tube(s) are little more than cosmetic.  Watch out for that.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 09:16:50 AM »
Don't let inadequate designs or poor application mislead you. Well designed and powered tube amps can deliver very solid, tight bass
Many are sweeter in the upper-mids and top end because of "euphonic dominant even-order harmonics", which tubes do well.
They traditionally also soft-clip, which is almost compression-ish, rather than a sharp-cutoff to the production of distortion.

The power behind the wall of sound was McIntosh tubes.
There was bass...   oh, was there bass!
Many Hammond B-3s are tube powered, and when the percussive drawbars are right, those left keys will spank-ass      ;)

It is typically less costly to make a very clean solid-state amp than a very clean tube amp.
Modern designs deliver some gorgeous solid-state sound.
The differences between both are more about design implementation rather than component type topology.

If at all possible, listen before you buy!
It's lots of fun, and reduces "buyer's remorse".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_MC-2300

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
Wall of sound powered by solid state McIntosh MC 2300 amps.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
Tony,

No doubt tube amps sound sweet, but you may find that you will need a bit more power to drive the woofers. The Cornwalls are quite effiecient @ over 100dB, but power is still power. The Dynaco is only 35WPC.

I've wanted to do something similar. I was thinking a good approach would be to find a tube amp with a preamp output in addition to the main out. I could then run the pre out to a solid state amp for the lows, (As a hybrid configuration) and use the main outs for mids/highs only.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com