Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Active Project - 2  (Read 98480 times)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Re: The AKG Active Project - 2
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 11:37:47 AM »
Ok help me understand the objective of removing the mic capsule from the body of the mic. Why do you guys want to do this so badly? I can think of a few reasons 1-sound the mic body will effect the sound of the mic. 2- Mic techniques that can be employed if the mics were smaller.. Am I missing anything else? if so please tell me what.

size of rig and ease of set up and break down; when I am taping with my 480s next to a taper using caps and active cables I am always envious, since their rig is so small and can be assembled in just a minute or two; I am a true fan of the AKG in your face sound, but I'd love to tape without the bodies, and I'm not the only 460/480 taper who feels that way, not by a long shot

that pretty much sums it up for me. i would like to have the freedom to run ck63/61 > actives > pre of choice > 671 (or just ck63/61 > actives > ACM mod 671 even if it means keeping the bodies in the equation). the ease of setup and reduction of weight/size is what i am looking for. i would LOVE to ditch the shure vert bar and AT shocks for a kwon bar and one neumann style shock, while still preserving the 480 63/61 sound. 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
Ok help me understand the objective of removing the mic capsule from the body of the mic. Why do you guys want to do this so badly? I can think of a few reasons 1-sound the mic body will effect the sound of the mic. 2- Mic techniques that can be employed if the mics were smaller.. Am I missing anything else? if so please tell me what.

size of rig and ease of set up and break down; when I am taping with my 480s next to a taper using caps and active cables I am always envious, since their rig is so small and can be assembled in just a minute or two; I am a true fan of the AKG in your face sound, but I'd love to tape without the bodies, and I'm not the only 460/480 taper who feels that way, not by a long shot

that pretty much sums it up for me. i would like to have the freedom to run ck63/61 > actives > pre of choice > 671 (or just ck63/61 > actives > ACM mod 671 even if it means keeping the bodies in the equation). the ease of setup and reduction of weight/size is what i am looking for. i would LOVE to ditch the shure vert bar and AT shocks for a kwon bar and one neumann style shock, while still preserving the 480 63/61 sound. 
like you guys said too
size
ever been to a show where someone complains your mics are blocking their view? happened to me twice
once security was cool and told them to bad, once they made me take down my gear till i could find someone to trade seats with me
not that with actives that couldn't still happen but the chances are less
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »

like you guys said too
size
ever been to a show where someone complains your mics are blocking their view? happened to me twice
once security was cool and told them to bad, once they made me take down my gear till i could find someone to trade seats with me
not that with actives that couldn't still happen but the chances are less

true indeed, not long ago Shawn Smith and I taped a Stanton Moore Trio show in a small supper club, where we got delegated to the middle of the room instead of the normal front row in this venue; it would have been impossible to run his 460s, ADKtl's, or my 480s, from that location, but fortunately we had my 460 active set up, which was so small that we were able to tape it from that location without interfering too much with the sight of the table behind us, were it not for those mics we would have not been able to tape it at all

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 12:58:14 PM »
Guys let me remind alot of you of a couple things from the previous discussion.  Let's say that we can make this happen and actives can be made ala JKLabs or nbox.  You are cutting out the meat of the AKG sound, the bodies.  While you certainly get the sound the caps deliver you may forget how big of an influence the bodies have.  Especially the 480 bodies.   I think alot of you would be very disappointed with the sound you would get without the bodies.  I know I would. 

If your reasoning is ONLY that you want to be low-pro keep in mind that comes at a price.  That price is the distinct AKG sound. 

I had very high hopes for this project.  The sheer greediness of people (those offering to develop this project) amazed me.  As was previously mentioned before Richard (poorlyconditioned) was very helpful on a very early schematic.  His involvement though at the time was limited because he had other projects going on as well.

As it stands I know of two groups or individuals working on an active project.  One group is affiliated with ts.com and they seem to have either stopped development or don't have a passion for this project and its now slow going.  The other group that contacted me (non-ts.com'ers) are working solely on an active setup keeping the bodies in the mix.  They are making progress but still have a way to go.

Lastly let's think about economics.  Right now I can't see a successful project like this costing any less than $1000 to start.  That's without caps or bodies. 

So there is more to this that someone just 'figuring it out'.   Also I can't see Chris making this happen since it seems like he has several other projects on his plate it seems. 

EDIT: Removed a sentence so Chris Church feels better.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:33:43 PM by OFOTD »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »
So there is more to this that someone just 'figuring it out'.   Also I can't see Chris making this happen since it seems like he has several other projects on his plate it seems.  This does not appear to be a weekend project.

I am offended by your comments what are you saying I am not capable of doing this??? You dont know me from Adam. I was asking questions and getting some answers. I dont see this as a viable project my self but its not because its not a week end project... Its because its silly to want to spend $1000 on a new preamp and cables just to make the mic bodies disappear. That's my opinion. I have come up with a few methods of doing this with off the shelf components if anyone is interested. But you sir do not know me well enough to comment on me like that. But you and I have had a long standing personal problem right? Anyway I dont think this is a viable project because it will cost more money then the person will gain in function. This is the real reason why no one wants to do this.

PS.. How do you know I have several projects on my plate???? Give me a break trust me if I wanted to make this happen it would happen but I dont see a future for it and the amount of time it would take to make it happen would be intense. But I forgot your 100% against someone making a profit from there hard work right. Yes everything should be free right? no one should get paid for there work... And besides I am an VENDOR!!! look out kids run for your lives a vendor is posting! Give me a break. You know you criticize me when I post and try to sell something fair enough. Then you come and criticize me when I want to do something for free. Man I guess there's just no pleasing you? Not that I give a shit. You know its funny a vendor like me spends time on here trying to help people and all you can be towards me is an asshole at every opportunity.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:15:00 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »
So there is more to this that someone just 'figuring it out'.   Also I can't see Chris making this happen since it seems like he has several other projects on his plate it seems.  This does not appear to be a weekend project.

I am offended by your comments what are you saying I am not capable of doing this??? You dont know me from Adam. I was asking questions and getting some answers. I dont see this as a viable project my self but its not because its not a week end project... Its because its silly to want to spend $1000 on a new preamp and cables just to make the mic bodies disappear. That's my opinion. I have come up with a few methods of doing this with off the shelf components if anyone is interested. But you sir do not know me well enough to comment on me like that. But you and I have had a long standing personal problem right? Anyway I dont think this is a viable project because it will cost more money then the person will gain in function. This is the real reason why no one wants to do this.

PS.. How do you know I have several projects on my plate???? Give me a break trust me if I wanted to make this happen it would happen but I dont see a future for it and the amount of time it would take to make it happen would be intense. But I forgot your 100% against someone making a profit from there hard work right. Yes everything should be free right? no one should get paid for there work... And besides I am an VENDOR!!! look out kids run for your lives a vendor is posting! Give me a break. You know you criticize me when I post and try to sell something fair enough. Then you come and criticize me when I want to do something for free. Man I guess there's just no pleasing you? Not that I give a shit. You know its funny a vendor like me spends time on here trying to help people and all you can be towards me is an asshole at every opportunity.

Totally taken the wrong way.  I do not doubt you could figure it out.  I was referring to more of a time thing since you are developing a preamp as well.  Absolutely no doubt about your ability at all.  I have no beef with you at all. Never did.  Don't want to get into an argument at all.  Not my intentions then or now.

EDIT TO ADD:   Where did I criticize you in my above post? 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:24:58 PM by OFOTD »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »

Totally taken the wrong way.  I do not doubt you could figure it out.  I was referring to more of a time thing since you are developing a preamp as well.  Absolutely no doubt about your ability at all.  I have no beef with you at all. Never did.  Don't want to get into an argument at all.  Not my intentions then or now.

Ok I dont want to ruin this thread with bullshit. But your comments "this does not appear to be a week end project" were offensive. And I dont know anyone who runs a business and takes audio seriously who would not be offended by your comments. I am not a weekend warrior I do this 7 days a week. I dont have weekend projects unless you include staining the deck. That's why I got offended your comments make it seem like I am only interested in doing "extra" stuff on week ends, when the simple truth of the matter is how do you know how much time I have spent on this? and if you don't know how much time I have spent on it how can you make the above comment?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 01:32:19 PM »

Ok I dont want to ruin this thread with bullshit. But your comments "this does not appear to be a week end project" were offensive. And I dont know anyone who runs a business and takes audio seriously who would not be offended by your comments. I am not a weekend warrior I do this 7 days a week. I dont have weekend projects unless you include staining the deck. That's why I got offended your comments make it seem like I am only interested in doing "extra" stuff on week ends, when the simple truth of the matter is how do you know how much time I have spent on this? and if you don't know how much time I have spent on it how can you make the above comment?

Alright I will take out a sentence that was not referring to you in any way shape or form to make you happy.  Are you alright now?  Does that make you happy? 

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »

thicker skin.. remember?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »
chris - you, your skills, and products are fine.

[smart-assery]
no need to be so defensive.  i want to buy your products eventually, but not if you are going to be a cry baby when somebody questions you. I only buy gear from manly men.
[/smart-assery]
;)

seriously though.....no need to be so defensive all the time.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
sorry to sound stupid but whats QFT mean?
I believe it's
"Quite F-ing True"

or Quoted For Truth.

Not to jack the thread but,
a) thanks for clearing that up
and
b) I like my interpretation better, although both fit nicely and the real one is classier.  ;)

Edit to add on-topic content:
How significant of an audio difference will separating the caps & bodies with an active cable create?
As I understand it, the physical bodies themselves, not just the electronics, are part of the sound of a microphone. I know people don't seem to run around complaining over a difference between schoeps actives + bodies vs non-active setups but, well, given this talk about the "AKG sound" isn't that worth a consideration?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:52:54 PM by rowjimmy »
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
chris - you, your skills, and products are fine.

[smart-assery]
no need to be so defensive.  i want to buy your products eventually, but not if you are going to be a cry baby when somebody questions you. I only buy gear from manly men.
[/smart-assery]
;)

seriously though.....no need to be so defensive all the time.

Ok fine I get your point. I will be a manly man from now on. If you buy something from me. LOL if not I am going back to being a crybaby.... I think people would buy stuff from me just to shut me up.... :) I guess in the end if I have to be a man to make more sales so be it.  :-X

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
does anyone have any JK-labs/480 or 460 comps?

i've heard only a few JK labs tapes and thought they sounded pretty good - i'd be curious to hear a direct comp if anyone has one
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »

i've heard only a few JK labs tapes and thought they sounded pretty good - i'd be curious to hear a direct comp if anyone has one

yes, two members here use them, Ice8888 and songsoffreedom (I think)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 02:47:29 PM »

yes, two members here use them, Ice8888 and songsoffreedom (I think)

are the comps posted anywhere? if someone gets a copy to me I can throw them up on tapers.org publicly if not
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com