Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Active Project - 2  (Read 98788 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: The AKG Active Project - 2
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »

Obviously several people have already determined the thread size since there are at least 2 machined cables out there, so it wouldn't seem like much more to make a tube and drill an exit for cabling.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2007, 04:09:13 PM »

Obviously several people have already determined the thread size since there are at least 2 machined cables out there, so it wouldn't seem like much more to make a tube and drill an exit for cabling.

WTF is that?  Who runs this & where do the bodies fit in?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »
The bodies are disassembled and the bare circuit boards are placed inside the tube.  Then the XLRs are hard wired in.  I think that's what he's saying.

In all honesty this doesn't seem a whole lot different than what's in your avatar though...  Not by much at least.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »
I think it would be a huge improvement over what's in my avatar. It would be impossible to run a lower profile setup than this because this would be almost identical to a Kwon bar with two capsules and active cables. You could easily fit this whole thing in a single shock mount with just a single breakout cable coming out the back. It could potentially be placed inside a hat and you definitely can't do that with two full bodies. The only disadvantage would be the weight and fixed distance between capsules. For me the fixed distance wouldn't be that bad since I almost always run DINA regardless of capsule or location.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
By the way, the official response from AKG is "Sorry to say, since the products are (were) not serviceable, we do not have any service papers". Not sure if this means that there aren't any servicable electronic parts though. It's interesting that the VR91 has a service document on AKG's site but it no electronic parts inside the extension tube...

Back to that mock up above, looking at the circuit board, I think it would be difficult to align the boards so that the attachments for the A61 adapters were on exact opposite ends of the tube. But who knows. Anyway, it's a different approach to the problem.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »
It's a limited approach though if you ever plan on running different configs or want to run split ck62's.

What schematics are you looking for?  The A61's?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »
Agreed that it's limited.

I wanted the VR61 or VR62 schematics to see if there is a circuit or buffer anywhere. If there is not, then it proves that the capsule CAN be separated from the body and that an "active" cable SHOULD be possible even if it's only 3 feet (the length of the VR62). The A61 definitely does not have a circuit or buffer. All it does is to serve as a physical connection between the cap and body. In all probablility, there is some length between the capsule and body at which a buffer is needed, but it would be nice to know what this distance is.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2007, 11:02:40 PM »
i would personally LOVE that setup above. i ALWAYS run DIN/DINa/ORTF and the fixed distance isnt a big deal at all too me. i think angle is more important than distance anyway......
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2007, 08:22:01 AM »
Who's setup is that anyway?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2007, 08:26:35 AM »
it's just a photo shop job. check out the capsule on the left... the letters AKG are backwards.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2007, 08:30:06 AM »
it's just a photo shop job. check out the capsule on the left... the letters AKG are backwards.

Gotcha.  Thanks, I was way confused.  :P

+T

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »
still, a really, really good idea!!!!!

I'm soon to own some a61s, and you guys can be DAMN SURE that they will be cut, hacked, burnt, bruised, burried, reborn...whatever it takes to at least get a 3' active cable between the mic bodies and the caps.
the a61 seems to be the key here.  If we can get longer runs, great..but I bet there is a limit since there is no "active" circuitry involved in the swivels to push the signal down a length of cable.
Being able to run a 3' extention cable for 480s would be HUGE !

hows this...building on both ideas.
gut the 480bodies.
mount both PCBs into one enclosure
use a single cable out of this (5pin or something) that forks out to the two individual a61 ends where the capsules go.

I'd be more than happy to velcro that shit to my stand, or run it in my pocket when low key.
for true stealth, a 3' cable is really all you need any way.  no more lc3 belts!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
still, a really, really good idea!!!!!

I'm soon to own some a61s, and you guys can be DAMN SURE that they will be cut, hacked, burnt, bruised, burried, reborn...whatever it takes to at least get a 3' active cable between the mic bodies and the caps.
the a61 seems to be the key here.  If we can get longer runs, great..but I bet there is a limit since there is no "active" circuitry involved in the swivels to push the signal down a length of cable.
Being able to run a 3' extention cable for 480s would be HUGE !

hows this...building on both ideas.
gut the 480bodies.
mount both PCBs into one enclosure
use a single cable out of this (5pin or something) that forks out to the two individual a61 ends where the capsules go.

I'd be more than happy to velcro that shit to my stand, or run it in my pocket when low key.
for true stealth, a 3' cable is really all you need any way.  no more lc3 belts!

Great idea....  ;)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
came to me in a vision

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2007, 04:54:56 PM »
came to me in a vision

Yes I have had a few of these. Let me know if you need help with "your" vision ok  :P
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com