Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Active Project - 2  (Read 98789 times)

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
Re: The AKG Active Project - 2
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »
about the MBHO into the DVC...

i forget if i mentioned this before, but i have a powerpoint that Jon from JK labs sent me that is a how to for making mbho cables for the DVC.  loads of info, pin outs, and brief directions on how to make what you need to adapt the mics to the box...i can dig this up if anyone is interested...

dan
ps, does anyone know how you get just the actives for the mbho i guess is it 603a's?  id just want the active heads and cable to try this out...late
------------
local idiot

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2007, 07:21:01 AM »
ok...
I say we bring a ringer into this project.
in the form of Jerry from Aerco, who say on his site the he will entertain custom electronics projects.
since he already makes a bomb-ass preamp...seems like a good place to start hitting up.

Me...
I've got two a61 swivels and Neil has lent me a section of mk46 cable to see if that cable's properties will allow for an extended wire between the knuckles.
Just as soon as I finish w/the last of my tie-dye work, its next up on the bench.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2007, 07:24:05 AM »
fantastic idea nick.

pooling together some dough and picking up the jk labs setup in the ys and having him reverse engineer the design could work too.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2007, 07:55:11 AM »
im in for $50 if we get enough committed folks to drum up enough.

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2007, 07:56:52 AM »

i will contribute
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2007, 08:23:37 AM »
ok, lets keep a tally running then ?
even if the the jk box slips, if this money could be setup and stashed...we'd be ready.

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:20 AM »
already said in the thread that i could contribute at least $50. i really want to see an active solution for my 63 and 61 caps, but lack the expertise to help advance this project. i can only offer monetary support in the hopes that a solution is achieved.

thanks again to all involved more than myself! +T's to the thread

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2007, 09:16:02 AM »

I"ll throw in $50 too.  Let me know when and where
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
I'm in for this donation

Offline landshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
ok...
I say we bring a ringer into this project.
in the form of Jerry from Aerco, who say on his site the he will entertain custom electronics projects.
since he already makes a bomb-ass preamp...seems like a good place to start hitting up.

Me...
I've got two a61 swivels and Neil has lent me a section of mk46 cable to see if that cable's properties will allow for an extended wire between the knuckles.
Just as soon as I finish w/the last of my tie-dye work, its next up on the bench.

Great idea!  Count me in for $50 Nick.

Mike
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
Ok, I guess in the interest of avoiding the mountain of work I've got to do, I'll chime in here on this.  Probably I'll just be muddying the waters and it definitely is coaching from the bench (since I'm personally not looking for AKG actives at the moment, just recently put those aside to try out the Milabs).  Bottom line, take this all with a grain of salt and perhaps a means of get folks to re-focus and re-define what the hope is. :)

1) on the open nature of the project:  I think the open exchange of ideas on this has been great, but I expect that to really make it happen, it'll need to proceed as a private, for-profit venture.  As Freelunch said in another thread, this still is a big undertaking (with another chunk of time needed in the future for product support).  If it was going to be completed to fruition as some kind of grassroots, ground up effort, it probably would have happened by now.  A lot of time and effort is probably required to do this, and people will be more interested in investing that time if they can reap some benefits to their efforts.  I'd imagine that would apply to Jerry of Aerco or whoever else took this on.

2)  As to expected price, Freelunch had mentioned $1500, and that ballpark might be a pretty reasonable amount for a 2ch pair, including ck61 caps, active cables, and active system/box/mic bodies.  Maybe the system could be as low as $1000, but with AKG ck6x cap pairs at about $350, that only allows $650 for the customized active system, which might not be that much (compare to somewhat custom Aerco preamps, jklabs boxes, nbox, etc).  Certainly, I wouldn't expect it to be cheap, though it could be a lower cost alternative to even used Neumann, DPA, or schoeps systems.

3)  On the reverse engineering thing:  I wouldn't think it would be necessary.  Plenty of good information has already been exchanged here, plus there is plenty information available online on mic systems and electronics.  Plus Jerry at Aerco is pretty clearly a bright guy -- so what's to be gained from reverse engineering?  Really, I think most of the knowledge on how to do this is out there, just need to figure out the mechanics, product packaging, design testing and debugging, etc.

4)  The circuit-type people need to chime in here, but I suspect that it won't be possible to just make active cables and use the existing 480 bodies.  (If nothing else, if it were this easy, AKG would probably have already done it.)  Based on the architecture of my Milab actives, my old Neumann km140 actives, and what I've seen of schoeps actives, the system needs more than just a signal(+phantom) and ground connection that the 480s have (ie, two conductor connection).  The other actives mentioned have a 4 conductor connection (for audio signal, ~60v bias, ~9v, and ground -- really guessing here, but it is something like this).

If this is the case, you'll need active electronics at the mic capsule end and also additional active electronics at the mic body end -- all of which can (will) color the sound to some extent.  Adding the necessary electronics at the mic body side and still keeping the mic bodies to me in no ways insures that the signature sound of the AKG system will remain the same, perhaps no moreso than just replacing the 480 bodies with the necessary system you need for the active architecture.  I guess what I'm saying here is I think a jklabs type box is the easier (and perhaps better) solution, and it doesn't mean that it will change the nature of the AKG sound any more than adding the necessary electronics to the 480 bodies will.

5) My out there idea:  maybe someone who has a good relationship with Jon at jklabs can convince him to go into business with Jerry at Aerco or Chris Church to market these.  Jon provides the R&D and engineering design, Jerry/Chris supplies the manufacturing and business/marketing.  (Perhaps this is where the argument for reverse engr comes in, but I don't really like the idea, plus I don't think it will be enough to get the project done.)  I do believe most of the knowledge is out there for making these systems, but that still means there will need to be a lot of product development which Jon has already done.  IIRC, the ECMS-22 jklabs system I had was so numbered, since it was the 22nd system Jon built, with the first 21 designs having some type of flaws that needed to be corrected.

Anyway, there's the large ramble.  By no means meant to deflate anyone's hopes -- I really hope my points might somewhat re-invigorate people's thinking on this so that the active system will actually get built.  (Ok, perhaps just a bit of regret for selling my system to Tommy.  :P )
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2007, 01:12:10 PM »
Great points Todd.

Just thought i'd throw it out there that not only is Jerry very eclectic but runs on his own time.  If it takes him two months to make a product that is his primary product then I can only imagine the time needed to work on an AKG box.

Again though I always come back to "What are you looking for out of this project?"

Actives of the JK Labs type boxes or actives that INCLUDE the bodies?  Do we want actives because it really sounds good to people's ears or because it would "just be cool to have AKG actives?"

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2007, 01:25:52 PM »
Alright, I've been staying out of the discussion, but I talked to Jerry about this over a year ago.  We discussed building extension cables for the 460 bodies that would work with the ck6x caps.  He is capable of doing it, however, he runs on his own time & dances to a the beat of a different drummer than most.  He assured me a rudimentary version could be made, but he doesn't have the desire or means to produce the machined collettes, etc.  Time frame is an unknown.  He has a lot of irons in the fire & just picked up a new 9-5 job earlier this year, so his free time has been reduced drastically. 

FWIW, I tried to get a pair of collettes from Nick (Nbox fame) and his team, but they never came through.  My talks with Jerry were specific to modifying the mk46 cables on the cap end to mate with the ck6x caps.  If I could have gotten my hands on the collettes, I think it would have been a done deal. 

Jerry may be interested in helping out now, and no one knows till they ask.  Just be prepared to wait or be told he's not interested.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2007, 01:49:53 PM »
IMO, it would be far cheaper and less "geek intensive" to build a true active cable and utilized the 4x0 bodies.  Much less involved. 
a little FET up top, some sort of buffer down bottom, viola.
;)

there are so many machine shops around here in the backwoods of southern Maine....do I fool myself in thinking it wouldnt be all the difficult to walk in w/a ck61 cap and say "can you make a female jack for this, w/this much depth..etc.

as for coloration ...that is where the chip guys need to chime in and say "model xxx98999 will be far faster and cleaner sounding than xx8883333"...
keep it as straight (or warm...as that seems a good flavor w/anything AKG related)...and see whats happening.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »
(Perhaps this is where the argument for reverse engr comes in, but I don't really like the idea, plus I don't think it will be enough to get the project done.)

Agreed.... The opportunity to copy someone else's design is NOT what is holding this up.  I believe it all comes down to lack of motivation. Everyone here seems to want this done for them but nobody feels strongly enough about it to do it. Those who are motivated already go buy DPAs, an nbox, ccm, used JK, kc5, etc..

Richard has already posted some schematics that will allow anyone here *with a little motivation* to prototype. That nobody has bothered to spend the time speaks volumes about the motivation of the group.  The "I don't understand electronics" is not an excuse for anyone.  If you don't understand something learn it.

The old adage "if you teach a person to fish..." applies here but nobody seems to want to learn to fish ;)

Responding a bit to OFTOD's point on whether akg actives will sound good, etc..  The really important use of actives is getting CLOSE.  Some capsules are better suited to running very up front and some further back. Brighter capsules don't tend to work as well up close (we're not talking on-stage/stage lip, that's a different situation) but do tend to balance out back in the section.  I've never run AKGs but they've always seemed kinda bright and less suited to way up front. Also, hat spacing tends to be kinda close and that tends to make capsules more bright and reduce bass vs. proper spacing. So would the akg caps even work very well in this application?

Yeah, I think it is just a matter of motivation.  What we need is someone (Chris Church, hint, hint!) to champion this project.  Someone who can do a good build *and* service what he sells.  Anyone is welcome to use the design I posted, guilt free.  Make money, or whatever, I don't care.

As for myself, I've pretty much moved to the Beyerdynamic.  I'll probably get a set of Beyer actives if I can find them.  I still have a set of (slightly hacked) CK63s that I'll keep and maybe someday hook up.  If I do it, it will be: 1) hard connected (solder, hot melt glue, gaffers tape), 2) for me only.

Oh yeah, if someone wants to get me to do this sooner, send me either a set of 460 bodies, or a set of A61 "knuckles" and I could probably mess with it.  In exchange I could post detailed photos/schematics, but I don't want to do mods for others.  Either the 460 bodies or the knuckles have the necessary physical hardware to connect to the capsule reliably.  That is what held me up last time...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com