Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Active Project - 2  (Read 98787 times)

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
Re: The AKG Active Project - 2
« Reply #255 on: October 03, 2007, 03:51:09 PM »
This is looking/sounding great.  I'm in on this so please let us know the final details/plan.

Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »
why actives for the 480's?  once you have run caps and active cables, running full bodies is extremely unappealing, the actives are very low profile and set up and break down time is very short, my current set up time is about a minute or so

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #257 on: October 03, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »
It would be killer if someone could built the active electronics into something like an SD 7xx unit.. just running caps > cables > 7xx... wow. I know that's dreaming though.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #258 on: October 03, 2007, 04:29:11 PM »
It would be killer if someone could built the active electronics into something like an SD 7xx unit.. just running caps > cables > 7xx... wow. I know that's dreaming though.

:cough: DPA  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #259 on: October 03, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »

Hah, I was waiting to see who the first one to say that would be... you take the prize my friend!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #260 on: October 03, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »

Hah, I was waiting to see who the first one to say that would be... you take the prize my friend!

after running the ccm4vs a few times its amazing that even an active setup can seem cumbersome, though it takes a lot of adjustment to the sound.

running some DPAs this week to see how i like them, im kinda scared that i will  ;D

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #261 on: October 03, 2007, 05:28:28 PM »
I've got some a61 swivels that I can donate to the project..., sort of.
Richard, I know you've asked for these in general, but i'm not really willing to part w/the $300 investment to just give them away for the most part....

but, i'll give them to anyone for research / development into this project just as long as they come back in usable fashion.
cosmetics, not an issue.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2007, 06:03:04 PM »
running some DPAs this week to see how i like them, im kinda scared that i will  ;D

You're screwed, Mikey!  Be prepared to sell some gear & slut it up.   ;D
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
I've got some a61 swivels that I can donate to the project..., sort of.
Richard, I know you've asked for these in general, but i'm not really willing to part w/the $300 investment to just give them away for the most part....

but, i'll give them to anyone for research / development into this project just as long as they come back in usable fashion.
cosmetics, not an issue.

OK.  I'm going to hold tight with my Beyer setup (and various omni "hat" mics).  I've basically decided, for better or worse, that I'm not going to put any more of my money into this.  I *may* end up buying a set of 460 bodies (to go with my current ck63 caps) but I'll still need some way to hook up the capsules, either the fabricated cables, swivels, or anything else to get the job done.  But if anyone else does this in the meantime, more power to them.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #264 on: October 04, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
at this point i do not see the value of potentially destroying nick's A61's. my machinist has indicated the only crappy part (aside from the low volume and consequent low $$) is the plastic piece in the end for the body.

i like the "battery box" as an option very much. it would make the cables simpler as only one end - the capsule end - would need to be fabricated. the other end could be terminated with a lemo or mini switchcraft xlr. the "battery box" option also allows 480 owners to run their caps.

however, that means two versions of the cable. that matters only to me in what i have to ask the machinist to do in terms of quantity.

the KILLER solution would be to fit the battery box into an extended XLR body - ala Sennheiser as when you wish to run the MExx caps w/o the K3U body - and use 48phantom to power the bias circuit as well as the cap. sennheiser sells a long xlr connector that has a circuit board inside to convert the 48phantom into the 9v dc required by the electret caps. might have circuit diagram somewhere.

comments anyone?? illconditioned, feel free to pm me.

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2007, 12:05:57 PM »
i like the "battery box" as an option very much. it would make the cables simpler as only one end - the capsule end - would need to be fabricated. the other end could be terminated with a lemo or mini switchcraft xlr. the "battery box" option also allows 480 owners to run their caps.

however, that means two versions of the cable. that matters only to me in what i have to ask the machinist to do in terms of quantity.
why would you need 2 different cables for a battery box option?

and again, thanks for the work
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »
I have often wondered if it would be possible to run one manufacturers capsules with another manufacturers bodies. With the right connector ends on an adaptor or cable, would it be possible to run Neumann caps with a Scheops body? This could make for some good experimentation, if possible.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2007, 05:06:13 PM »
at this point i do not see the value of potentially destroying nick's A61's. my machinist has indicated the only crappy part (aside from the low volume and consequent low $$) is the plastic piece in the end for the body.

the KILLER solution would be to fit the battery box into an extended XLR body - ala Sennheiser as when you wish to run the MExx caps w/o the K3U body - and use 48phantom to power the bias circuit as well as the cap. sennheiser sells a long xlr connector that has a circuit board inside to convert the 48phantom into the 9v dc required by the electret caps. might have circuit diagram somewhere.

neil in san marcos

This might be something Jon from Naiant may be able to do ??? He's pretty good at stuffing a lot of stuff into small enclosures.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2007, 05:08:13 PM »
I have often wondered if it would be possible to run one manufacturers capsules with another manufacturers bodies. With the right connector ends on an adaptor or cable, would it be possible to run Neumann caps with a Scheops body? This could make for some good experimentation, if possible.

There was an adaptor on ebay that a guy was selling that allowed you to run all the older neumann caps on a AKG 450 body.  I think Dirk (TNJazz) had some for awhile.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »

neil in san marcos

This might be something Jon from Naiant may be able to do ??? He's pretty good at stuffing a lot of stuff into small enclosures.

:lol:

couldn't let this one get lost in the serious discussion of the thread :lol:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com