Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Active Project - 2  (Read 98782 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: The AKG Active Project - 2
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2007, 08:50:47 PM »
at this point i do not see the value of potentially destroying nick's A61's. my machinist has indicated the only crappy part (aside from the low volume and consequent low $$) is the plastic piece in the end for the body.

i like the "battery box" as an option very much. it would make the cables simpler as only one end - the capsule end - would need to be fabricated. the other end could be terminated with a lemo or mini switchcraft xlr. the "battery box" option also allows 480 owners to run their caps.

however, that means two versions of the cable. that matters only to me in what i have to ask the machinist to do in terms of quantity.

the KILLER solution would be to fit the battery box into an extended XLR body - ala Sennheiser as when you wish to run the MExx caps w/o the K3U body - and use 48phantom to power the bias circuit as well as the cap. sennheiser sells a long xlr connector that has a circuit board inside to convert the 48phantom into the 9v dc required by the electret caps. might have circuit diagram somewhere.

comments anyone?? illconditioned, feel free to pm me.

neil in san marcos

This might be something Jon from Naiant may be able to do ??? He's pretty good at stuffing a lot of stuff into small enclosures.

:lol:

couldn't let this one get lost in the serious discussion of the thread :lol:

Yeah, I realized what I wrote after I posted and was too lazy to edit...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #271 on: October 05, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »
nice!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #272 on: October 05, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
careful this thread doesn't get nuked now

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline esteyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #273 on: October 06, 2007, 06:11:43 PM »
on the assumtion that illconditioned is bowing out  :(  i am going to continue with this project.

question was posed "why two cables"
well, if you choose to keep the 460 connected to the capsule, you need a cable with two ends. end #1 - AKG cap to cable. end #2 - cable to AKG body

if you chose to run a battery box, then you need end #1. but end number two won't connect to the battery box very well. a LEMO or SWITCHCRAFT mini XLR would work much better and would cost $5 instead of $40.

i am going to build this the third way. cable end #1 to connect the cap to the cable and then cable connecting to the long body XLR with all electronics stuffed inside. that way 480 owners can participate as well as 460 owners. so essentially, you will have a cable with an XLR on one end to plug into your deck and at the other end will be a connector to screw your CKxx cap onto. unfortunately, i do not have a source yet for the long XLR body (senn charges $45 for the adapter and i doubt they have 50+ still in inventory. plus, this year they officially discontinued support for the K3x mics.) so they may have to be machined... then i can use Neutrik parts with the new body to make service easy and parts easy to find.

additionally, if you own an A60x to use CKx cap (originally for the 451) with your 460, then you could use the CKx capsules with this cable setup. which then leads us to the fact that CKx owners could use this version of the cable as well... hell anyone that owns a CKx or CKxx capsule only could use this.

this all leads to one more issue: shockmounts, or more specifically clips for end #1 to allow mounting in shockmounts. here is what AKG provided to CKxX owners. i need comments on this please. NOTE, the knurled "nut" is 5/16-18 female thread. remove the nut and post and it screws directly on a 5/16 stand adapter.

FWIW, i do plan to investigate the machining of an adapter ala the A60x - akg made two versions btw. one metal and one plastic...

lastly, in all honesty, as it appears i am coordinating all the resources it will be a for profit affair. no rape and pillage, but there is a lot of legwork and time that will take away from other projects i have going on. i am_hoping_to do this for ~$150 a cable. this will be no kludgey project. all electronics will be best quality appropriate, boards will be made in the USA and designed by an audio engineer with 20+ yrs laying out boards, and as with anything i build and offer for sale it will be guaranteed for as long as i am alive - well everthing but the cable itself and that will be just cost of cable + $25 or so repair fee.

please lmk if this is evil in some way or violates TS written or unwritten rules.

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #274 on: October 06, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »
Neil, pm sent about schematics for mk46 cables. Would appreciate any info you have as I need to re wire my pair.

Thanks, ts

Offline Chuck

« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2007, 08:11:10 PM »
Neil, pm sent about schematics for mk46 cables. Would appreciate any info you have as I need to re wire my pair.

Thanks, ts

I'd like to see that schematic myself.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »
i will try to dig it up.

nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »
when looking at the lemo connector from the outside <<front>> and with the raised portion at the bottom, PIN 1 is at the top left, PIN 2 is to the top right, and PIN 3 is at the bottom.

PIN 1 is AUDIO +. it is cable center conductor and connects to the center pin of the 460 connector
PIN 2 is AUDIO -. it is the cable inner shield and connects to the offcenter pin in the 460 connector
PIN 3 is ground. it is the cable outer shield and connects to the grounding screw on the 460 cable connector

hope this helps
nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #278 on: October 07, 2007, 06:46:31 PM »
further investigation has shown that neutrik has the parts for the long body XLR. i have requested samples or at least direction to a vendor who can supply some samples.

not many recent posts. hope i haven't pissed people off.

neil
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1

Offline Chuck

« Reply #279 on: October 07, 2007, 06:49:41 PM »
further investigation has shown that neutrik has the parts for the long body XLR. i have requested samples or at least direction to a vendor who can supply some samples.

neil

Not me. I'm still with you.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #280 on: October 07, 2007, 07:03:13 PM »
on the assumtion that illconditioned is bowing out  :(  i am going to continue with this project.

Yes, I'm out.  Please take over this project and get things moving.  It sounds like you're off to a great start!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

stevetoney

« Reply #281 on: October 07, 2007, 09:41:37 PM »

In the immortal words of David Gilmour, et al (and even Mike Gordon)...run run run run run run run run run run run run

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #282 on: October 07, 2007, 09:55:51 PM »

neil
i'm with ya
i just wish i had more to add but i am not the guy for this type of project
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #283 on: October 07, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
i'm still here :)
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #284 on: October 08, 2007, 01:17:40 AM »
i feel better about the "for profit" portion of my post. i will guarantee TS members will be the first to benefit from this project at the best minimal cost i can do this for. i think i will also do the 460 body to cap umbilical cable as well. seems to me that 50% really want to keep their bodies and the sonic signature that goes with it.

so,  to make it fair to all, esp those who laid the groundwork... when i first offer a completed saleable product (understand that some proto's at NoCost will be offered to TS for sharing/swapping/evaluation before a sale occurs),  i will make the first offering at d*mn near cost. resonders via e-mail will be able to make a one time order at the first offering price even if they take years to come up with the cash. they just gotta drop me an email with their order quantity when the first offering occurs. i will trust TS members not to wait 5 yrs and then "transfer" it to others when they sell their rig. the overall community here deserves that kind of deal.

if i cannot bring this project to fruition, i will publish all artwork for boards, all sources for parts, and all research for the community members to use at their discretion completely unencumbered by $$ i've spent. hard parts will go for cost, ie machined parts, etc...

should this work out well, i will consider manufacture of parts to crossbreed brands of caps and mics. again first offering will be to TS members at the same deal. hopefully i can make this work in the audio world outside of TS - i could really use the $$ and that's where the big bucks reside.

nism
PS: if i screw up somewhere, i know you guys will call me on it. no offense taken, i _like_ tequila, sometimes it talks for me  ;)

i hope this is a fair deal for a really good community of tapers. remember i started in 1973, so it's nice to see the eager "faces" <<not feces  ;D >> continuing most of the traditions i was brought up with... altho' you guys gotta remember it's all about getting the stands in the right place... get'em up there and worry about where to put your gear last.
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com