Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: laptop for recording  (Read 5200 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
laptop for recording
« on: April 17, 2003, 02:49:49 PM »
I am loking to get a lappy for 24 bit...can I use this one??

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3413749933&category=31540

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:laptop for recording
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 03:01:39 PM »
CPU is marginable, definitely not enough memory.  There's some good info on minimum specs for laptop recording here, as well as boatloads of other info:

http://www.24bitfaq.org

I'm considering the change myself, but may try to hold off until portable HDD recorders are readily available and cost-effective (prolly another year +).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 03:03:41 PM »
You can use it if you want to upgrade the components...basically give it a new HD.  You need way more than a 3.5 gb HD.  If you are recording in 24/96 a show alone will be closer to 2 gb per hour!!  So, about 6 gb for a show.
Plus, you will need a processor that is at least 512 mb ram. Plus, it doesnt come with any thing to charge it with or batteries.
Then you need software...it'll add up!
Although, for $160, you would have money left over for those improvements :)

my .02
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 03:11:10 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  I just want to go the el-cheapo route, and I can always power these things off of an sla I am assuming.  I can build the battery myself, I have plenty of software, and can always buy another hd.  At this point, I don't see the HD recorders coming in at a price range that I am comfortable with, and I think this route is much more cost effective.  

Thanks guys, you answered what I wanted to know.

Daryan

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 03:19:56 PM »
I got another question...sorry.  What kind of hard drive would I need to stick in a lptop for say an imb thinkpad 266?  I assume they all will work, but having never used a laptop for anything other than web browsing, and having never owned one, I would appreciiate the clarification.

Thanks again

Daryan

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 03:48:54 PM »
just go to some place like buy.com and when you get to the HDs, you should be able to do a search for the proper one for your model.  i also believe you can get by with much less than 512MB RAM to get the job done.  especially if you have the thing stripped down for recording purposes.

hope this helps.

~S

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 04:19:26 PM »
Yeah, Nick Georges says on his website 96 should be OK.  I will use this exclusively for 2 track, 24/48 via the usb out of the mini-me.  Thanks scott

"""D"""

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 04:10:06 PM »
scott is right!!!!
i know several people who are running sony's and toshiba's with 400mhz processors and 256mb RAM.
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

DaryanLenz

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 08:43:01 PM »
Well I arranged a little trade for a laptop that is 233mhz I think.  I plan on putting in a new hard drive, and the batteries for the thing are dirt cheap, like 20 bucks, so we shall see if I can make it work.  Thanks for the help guys

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com