Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SoundField SPS200  (Read 42449 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SoundField SPS200
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
thats CRAZY that you have the ability and control to MAKE all 3 configs IN FUCKING POST ;D 8) This mic is starting to open up to me and im understanding it more and more :) so you can TOTALLY just make a STEREO recording instead of the surround end result right? you can basically do whatever the fu&* you want to ;D

As long as it's XY, yes.....pretty much.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »
you can basically do whatever the fu&* you want to ;D

Within reason.  Keep in mind that the mic basically captures the soundfield at (roughly) a point in space - it's a coincident technique.  So the stereo output one selects is also effectively coincident.  In other words, one can't produce a stereo mix that is NOS, ORTF, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »
you can basically do whatever the fu&* you want to ;D

Within reason.  Keep in mind that the mic basically captures the soundfield at (roughly) a point in space - it's a coincident technique.  So the stereo output one selects is also effectively coincident.  In other words, one can't produce a stereo mix that is NOS, ORTF, etc.

big ole +T. Ahhh, its beginning to all make sense now. how are teh caps 'coincident' when NONE OF THEM are on the same plane and NONE of teh caps are directly over one another for "TRUE COINCIDENCE", correct ???

So JTL, youre saying that there ARE a couple or at least one mic company that uses (4) subcardioid capsules instead of (4) cardioid capsules ??? Thats also CRAZY about MBHO making them their capsules. I take it you like their sound on the 350 as well ??? Alot of people think their capsules are too bright, but paired w/ the right preamp, theyre amazing. I really like them w/ the 7xx thus far :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2008, 07:58:42 PM »
how are teh caps 'coincident' when NONE OF THEM are on the same plane and NONE of teh caps are directly over one another for "TRUE COINCIDENCE", correct ???

"Close enough."
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »
Again Bean, the software that decodes the B Format knows EXACTLY how far apart the caps are.....the software can take that into account to put them in whatever position they need to be put into.
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »
big ole +T. Ahhh, its beginning to all make sense now. how are teh caps 'coincident' when NONE OF THEM are on the same plane and NONE of teh caps are directly over one another for "TRUE COINCIDENCE", correct ???

Bean,
The work that Gerzon and his peers did with a multiple capsule mic built on the work of Blumlein but in 3 dimensions. Actually with B-format you can manipluate in whatever plane you want to when decoding (up-down, forward-backward, left-right.)

The idea is to get the capsules as close as you can to each other so as to maintain the phase relationship of all waves at that single point in space. The only waves that will be out-of-phase would be the higher frequencies. ie. those whose wavelength is the distance between caps or less.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline hugh

• Taperssection Newbie
  • who knows where the time goes?
    • halfbricking
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »
The "precisely coincident" thing still confuses me no end.  Here's the Gerzon paper describing the concept and math behind it:
http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Public/B-format/A2B-conversion/Gerzon/Design_Precisely_Coincident_Microphone_Arrays.pdf

But regardless, these ambisonic mics do create a stunning soundstage.
This one is an example of TetraMic: http://www.halfbricking.com/Samples/Qwill%20-%20When%20We%20Come.mp3

Some time I'd love to do a direct compare with the SPS200.  The Tetramic "post" software, VVMic (http://vvaudio.com/vvmic/), has quite a nice graphical way to play with mic orientations etc in post.  Ability to rotate, alone, is worth its weight in gold.

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2008, 01:41:58 AM »
Jimbo, F0CKER...ST250 vs ST350 vs SPS200 3-way fob cage match for Asheville WSP?  >:D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:43:48 AM by J.T.L »

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2008, 06:34:10 AM »
Jimbo, F0CKER...ST250 vs ST350 vs SPS200 3-way fob cage match for Asheville WSP?  >:D

Make it Irving Plaza and you've got a deal!

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »

Bean,
The work that Gerzon and his peers did with a multiple capsule mic built on the work of Blumlein but in 3 dimensions. Actually with B-format you can manipluate in whatever plane you want to when decoding (up-down, forward-backward, left-right.)

The idea is to get the capsules as close as you can to each other so as to maintain the phase relationship of all waves at that single point in space. The only waves that will be out-of-phase would be the higher frequencies. ie. those whose wavelength is the distance between caps or less.

If they were cardioids I would think that DPA could rig four 4061's together nicely.  They are soooo tiny that coincidence would be better.  Their sound is supposed to be quite good.  Folks on the board who have them seem to like them.  Hmmm.  With all the push to multi-channel I would think that DPA could bring in a killer Ambisonic package with those mics.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »
My thinking as well. I'm not sure why DPA's miniature mics are all omni's and interestingly Core Sound chose larger capsules for the tetramic. It may have something to do with the frequency response but I really don't know enough about mic design to say.

Anyway, it's great to see these types of mics coming to the market. I'm sure it will change taping in some way. It will certainly make surround sound more of a possibility.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2008, 12:30:58 AM »
The problem that I have with surround sound is that I need four channels to do it.  I suppose I could rig up something.  I would most likely do it with 4 AR-2ax's.  I have two already and they have a great sound.  Four channel receivers are all that is out there now, it seems, so that is solved.  I guess the playback is on a DVD.  Hmmm.  As if I am not broke enough already.  And the economy does not look good.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
The problem that I have with surround sound is that I need four channels to do it.  I suppose I could rig up something.  I would most likely do it with 4 AR-2ax's.  I have two already and they have a great sound.  Four channel receivers are all that is out there now, it seems, so that is solved.  I guess the playback is on a DVD.  Hmmm.  As if I am not broke enough already.  And the economy does not look good.

Cheers

The workaround for this is render to a stereo file and in high-fidelity as possible using a DVD I suppose. If you want surround you could encode to DTS and decode on the receiver. (I did get an Auzentech pci card that can encode/decode to DTS or Dolby Digital using hardware. That will probably come in useful.)

There was some discussion on sursound about using VLC (videolan client) software to decode B-format. We will see if something comes of that.

I have seen receivers with 8 channels. Some of them have direct channel passthrough also. Yamaha and Denon were brands I saw that on. Probably there are others.

Offline Dr.FOB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
Re: SoundField SPS200 - Slight Hijack
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »

Not against per se, but here are some samples of the Soundfield 350 I've made for comps sake...

Dead Confederate - FOB/DFC in the sweet spot
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=519169

And an excellent comp for sure.  This sat in the truck through a dozen play throughs before I kicked it down to the guy who sold me his Black Crowes tickets at face;)
When I get my SZ running I'll want those original files to render up some 5.1 with.
Neumann gear slut

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: SoundField SPS200 - Slight Hijack
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »

Not against per se, but here are some samples of the Soundfield 350 I've made for comps sake...

Dead Confederate - FOB/DFC in the sweet spot
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=519169

And an excellent comp for sure.  This sat in the truck through a dozen play throughs before I kicked it down to the guy who sold me his Black Crowes tickets at face;)
When I get my SZ running I'll want those original files to render up some 5.1 with.

Jim, let me check I think I still have the B Formats on the card.  If not I'll see if I can save them.  I *think* I did, but I need a new HD and haven't been savign all my B Format recordings.  Glad you liked it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com