Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your favorite Mics? Why?  (Read 28214 times)

Offline 91HondaCRX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Your favorite Mics? Why?
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »
I'm interested in seeing what other peoples favorite mics are and why.  I am slowly building my tool kit of recording gear and the more I can have that can be best for certain situations, I'm sure will help me out a bunch.  Let me know what you guys think,  I'm just curious :)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Your favorite Mics? Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »
Microtech Gefells because they sound the best.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »

I concur.

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
In the past I've had Schoeps, Gefells, Neumann Tlm-170's and a Soundfield St250.
I am currently using Schoeps because they work great in venues with poor acoustics and consistently deliver a enjoyable tape in almost any situation. I also like the low profile of the active cable setup.
I also like the way they reject unwanted off axis frequencies.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:17:52 PM »
Favorite mics I own:
ADK TL for the switchable pattern choices, the Blumlien-ability with the fig-8 pattern, their clean sound and bomb proof build.
Gefell cards because they sound so sweet.
DPA 4060 omnis for an amazingly versatile, transparent, rain defying and an incredibly small rig (my surround setup with 4 of them + external preamps and recorder(s) fit in a shaving kit bag. They are my most used, go-to mics.

Favorite mics I don't own but would like to:
Milab DC-196- I'd drop the large, heavy TLs for these tiny switchable pattern gems (even though I'd loose the hypercard setting, but I mostly record in good sounding venues).
DPA 4027 compact wide cardioid- because they sound so sweet and I love omnis (these are sort of like slightly directional omnis).
DPA 4099 miniature hypercardioid- best sounding miniature directional I've heard and possibly my next mics for use in combination with the 4060s, yet I'd still prefer a less rolled off bottom end so I'm holding off to see if a rumored variation appears.

Favorite un-available:
Gefell>Nbox  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
Beyerdynamic MC930 stereo pair.

Value priced mics with great smooth sound, no "harshness" whatsoever..  Excellent for PA recording.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:50:01 PM »
My favorite mics are the ones that always work when called upon.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

I concur.
I third the Gefells and the sound but also would like to add all the DPA 40xx mics and how sweet it would be to have such a good sounding compact mics. My favorite mics I owned were the TL's and all the patterns (my poor back). For card pattern I liked 930's so far and the price, sound, and size.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

ilduclo

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »
My favorite mics are the ones that always work when called upon.

that's one of the reasons I like the dpa 4061's, the standard ones, not "heb's", just fucking bullet proof.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
AT 853s, nice balance and cheap

AKG 414s
AKG c480b/ck63s Best Hypers
Peluso Sub Card Smoooooooth
Nak 300 guns in the right spot

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
Depends.  Consider the venue, placement options and what is to be recorded.  Current fave for guerrilla recording on the stage lip:  Schoeps CMC64's ORTF with DPA 4061's `40cm apart in AB.  This has worked well in one room I hit.  I have a session coming up in a large sanctuary where I will use that plus a Busman ribbon in Blumlein array for a bluegrass group.  It really does depend on the app.  It is like saying what is your favorite car?  Porsches are fun, but for pulling a truck out of a ditch while being in the mud I'll take a diesel 4x4 any day.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »
I'm interested in seeing what other peoples favorite mics are and why.  I am slowly building my tool kit of recording gear and the more I can have that can be best for certain situations, I'm sure will help me out a bunch.  Let me know what you guys think,  I'm just curious :)

I haven't owned Schoeps, Neumanns or the higher-end AKGs, but for price, reliability and quality I certainly do love my DPA 4061.  Not the ideal mic in every situation, but their sound is pretty incredible when the conditions (really, mostly, the audience and distance from stage) are right, and other than those two factors, I think they are pretty forgiving.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 06:24:35 PM »
The AT4050 is very versitle and sounds very sweet!  I also like the Rode NT6 Omni. 

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »
DPA 4060 omnis for an amazingly versatile, transparent, rain defying and an incredibly small rig. They are my most used, go-to mics.

Agreed.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
..its ability as an electret to run on really low phantom voltage is helpful.

How low can it go?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com