Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your favorite Mics? Why?  (Read 28202 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your favorite Mics? Why?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
Consistent with the response of the majority of the people in this thread, my favorite mics are those that I presently own.  Why?  Because of self-fulfilling prophesy...it's human nature.

Or possibly because people tend to keep mics they like and sell ones they don't . . . the question wasn't "what is the best mic", but rather "what is your favorite", somewhat of a lower pressure question I think.

I could make a very long list of mics I've used or owned or built that I don't like, but that wasn't the question.  Although that might be a more interesting thread . . .

Oh, believe me, when I wrote my response, I'd contemplated the semantics difference you point out, mshilarious.  It's still an interesting thread.

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 01:06:57 AM »

I do not like the sound of AT943…..The 853 are great but something is missing in this smaller version….to me they sound thin….unbalanced

The low is weak or thin usually unless you are up-close to the sound.  But this could be perfect for matrix in the post.  You can add whatever low sound you can get from another source.... 
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
Peluso CMC6 with the subcard cap

I've had two pairs already and regret selling them. Very clear and balanced..smooth top end and full but not bloated bass.

I also really liked my JWmod AKG 460/ck1X setup

Slamming bass and that AKG sizzle like the 480s but darkened up a little bit by the active capsule/cable setup. I was trying to achieve the same sound with my current 460/a60/ck1 setup but it's a more "warm" sound...I guess because the transformer is still in the stock 460.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 06:10:55 PM »
SP-BMC-2
i know they're not especially high end, but they're absolutely perfect for the quickie lo-pro recordings i mostly do, and sound pretty damn good for 50 bucks
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
For PA recording that most of us do....

I really like the Schoeps sound - it really depends on the particular application but the mk4, mk41, and mk2s capsules are excellent. They deliver exactly what I am looking for with consistent results. The entire frequency spectrum is reproduced extremely well - there is a great balance across the entire range. I really like the 'neutral' (for lack of a better word) sound that they have - what goes in is what comes out. If I need some color or texture I can add it to the sound with the pre that I am using.

I use the AD2K+ in the chain to keep things on the neutral side. I want the sound to be primarily defined by the mics I am using.

I also really like the DPA 4011/402x series. True to the sound being recorded. That is what I am looking for in my mics. As I said, if I want color or texture, I will add it through my pre-amp.

This is tough because I really like a lot of different mics. There are some many to choose from that offer a great range of different sounds. The collection is growing (although much too slowly :) )
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »
DPA 402x
KM 140
ck1~>460
For clarity.
My favorite tapes are made with both of these.
I will own some 140's someday soon.
Dig the modular aspect of the 140's too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:21:57 AM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
Neumann 140 /184.  I have never really been able to tell the difference between the two in sound quality. 

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought the KM14x and the 18x are the same mics, other than the 14x's have interchangeable caps and the 18x's have fixed caps (?)

I'm not sure I could ever reasonably answer this question - so many different mic configurations and placements, pre's, etc. that I've rarely been able to compare two sets of mics in an apples and apples situation.  There's been a few times where we've run two sets of mics in the same spot and pattern and relatively similar gear that led me to like the sound of one over the other, but that could be specific to the venue and/or location and in a similar test in a different location or venue I might like them the other way around. Try asking the same question about favorite pre-amp and you'll get a similar diversified response...kind of like asking the best flavor of ice cream.

Back in the GD FOB days, I always thought the Senn 421s really shined...I've never had a chance to try those out in more current taping situations to see how they do.  Makes me wonder what happened to all of the 421s and 441s that used to be around - I never see or hear of them anymore.  I do think that AKG recordings that get made for me always seem to impress me - again, I can't compare them to what other mics would have sounded like in the same venue and pattern, but from a subjective standpoint, they always seem to sound pretty good to my ears.  As for the KM140s, of course I'm biased, but when I nail a recording with them, I find them hard to beat for that full, warm sound they are capable of. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2009, 11:41:01 PM »
I think you have to qualify this with what kind of music you are recording. 

For PA rock and amplified acoustic, although the sound is not as fat as cards to me the Gefell 210 is pretty much the go to mic.  Night after night, in venues ranging from bars to big shitty sounding sports domes this is one of the most reliable mics out there.

In a good room, I think DPA402x sets the standard for clarity and detail.
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

J.T.L

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 01:24:58 AM »
soundfield

mono, stereo, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8.0 with flexablity in polar patterns, angles, tilt and more all in one mic setup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
Lots of options there, as long as you are cool with only coincident configs - a deal killer for me.  I'd love to play with one sometime though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »

I am currently using Schoeps because they work great in venues with poor acoustics and consistently deliver a enjoyable tape in almost any situation. I also like the low profile of the active cable setup.
I also like the way they reject unwanted off axis frequencies.

Couldn't have said it better, Schoeps just consistently bring home a good recording in all types
of situations and the ability to use interchangeable caps with the low pro active setup has me (for now)
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2009, 01:10:15 AM »
Not much representing of 480s I guess? I love the sound I get off the ck62's under the right conditions and with certain types of music...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline pyiteac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2009, 04:16:31 AM »
Schoeps Colette series.  They have so many options.  Caps, Bodies, active accessories, etc.  They sound great, produce great detail and depth.  They sound best to my ears.

Neumann KM100 series.  I love the highs of the Neumanns.  Smooth and clear.

Schoeps M221b's  I never heard a tape made with these until my brother got a set and ran them this summer.  These things are amazing in their detail and clarity.  It blows my mind how good these things are.

AKG c426. best single point stereo LD Mic I've heard.  Stunning.

Brief synopsis.

Mics: Schoeps MK4>KCY (with MK41/MK21/MK8's on call)
Pre:  Schoeps VMS02ib 
Interconnects:  Kimber Kable
Recorder:  Korg Mr-1

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »
dpa wide cards.  i simply haven't heard anything sound better

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Already said it once, but it bears repeating:

Nevaton MK49 are quite possibly the best SDCs I've ever heard.

My new LDC faves are Milab DC196.  Between the two I'm not sure I'll ever need anything else.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com