Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's Schoeps Charge To Check Out/Refurb a Pair of Caps?  (Read 2305 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
What's Schoeps Charge To Check Out/Refurb a Pair of Caps?
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »
It seems like a bunch of people have been posting ISO's lately for MK41's, so since I didn't think I was gonna pick up a pair of MK41's anytime soon in the Yard Sale, I ended up buying two single capsules in separate transactions.  However, one is nextel gray and one is silver.  Both have the older handwritten baseplates on them.  The nextel cap is fairly well used and could stand a replacement shell/casing.  I probably wouldn't think about replacing it, but it would be nice to get the pair to look alike.  So I'm thinking about sending them both in for a checkup. 

Excluding what it might cost for a replacement shell for the one, does anyone know about what the Schoeps charges to look over a pair?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What's Schoeps Charge To Check Out/Refurb a Pair of Caps?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:55:50 AM »
TD - IIRC Schoeps gets $150 - $250 went sent by Redding Audio.  They batch the mics and send them out once a month, I believe.  But it is best to write them: info@reddingaudio.com.

Nov schmoz kapop.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:17:59 AM »
TD - IIRC Schoeps gets $150 - $250 went sent by Redding Audio.  They batch the mics and send them out once a month, I believe.  But it is best to write them: info@reddingaudio.com.
Thanks Boojum...I assume that's per capsule?

Yes, that's correct about the batching...I talked to them yesterday.  But I didn't get a clear indication of what the price per capsule was.  I'm just doing some budgeting and trying to figure out what I need to send to them because I have a few things I need to send to Schoeps, but I'm afraid if I ask them to do everything I have in mind, it will cost me more than I want to spend.  IOW, there's some things I HAVE to pay for to have done and some things I'd like to have done...might need to cut out the nice to haves!

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
TD -  that's always what we have to separate, needs from wants.  DSatz is the authority om Schoeps.  PM him for really solid help. Whatever you spend is worthwhile, done by the factory and will return the caps to spec.  They are the best and cheapest of all the mic companies when it comes to maintenance.  The mics are great, too.  I have good luck with them.   

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
They are the best and cheapest of all the mic companies when it comes to maintenance. 

I think DPA would beg to differ.  Less than half the price to check/bring to spec than Schoeps.  Service is done in the good ole U.S.A. as well.

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:29:14 PM »
I'm glad that Schoeps does offer their service and sometimes it is reasonable, sometimes not.
I have sent caps in before and had them refurbished for as little as $150 or so.
But, I recently sent a GVC in.  It was missing the special nut on the swivel and thought it would be a really cheap fix.
Well, they charged me about $250.  So, after shipping charges it came to just about the same price as a new one $325.
It appeared that they replaced the whole thing and gave me a new one...or at least replaced some of the housing, but
I still thought that was outrageous.
Schoeps, it is a love/hate relationship....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com