Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps storage  (Read 1956 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Schoeps storage
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »
How do people put the grey disc/cap onto the threaded end of the preamp bodies/active cables? The grey cap isn't threaded, but it seems like pushing it on might damage the threads. If you try to screw it on, its hard to get it to cover all the threads. I've stopped keeping my caps connected and stored inside windscreens/film cans since I found evidence of windscreen deterioration/dust.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: Schoeps storage
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
They fit snugly, but are a softer plastic and hopefully should not damage the threads. I suppose it's possible, but since it's what's Schoeps recommends I can't really recommend an alternative.

fwiw, I would never leave my screens permanently on the capsules. Even new screens can be full of dust from the manufacturer or they can age and deteriorate. Always good to shake/flick them over a piece of white paper to look for evidence of dust.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
Yep found some small (almost microscopic) amounts of dust today for the first time, so I took them off and put them in the garbage. I wonder if this happens to the B5Ds? So you just firmly push the caps over the threads?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »
I've got two pairs of B5D's, one much older, that haven't shown any signs of dust. The older pair actually got a bath in soapy water recently and have been as good as new as far as I can tell. Paper test has not resulted in any dust, but I still check every time I use them.

The thread protectors do require a bit of force; I would say use your judgement and since it's soft plastic, it wouldn't take much effort to increase the inside diameter by just the slightest bit with a sharp knife so that they snap on but still fit snug.

I think the better question is, how bad is frequent removal of capsules? For storage and transport, I'd prefer that the capsules are in their dust-free vials and that the thread protector caps are in use, but reality may dictate otherwise. The threads are fragile and I have seen Collette cables with chips in them. So... what's the best way to transport and store bodies or active cables with the capsules left attached? Have seen some interesting concoctions with film canisters and bubble wrap, but would prefer something slightly more elegant.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com