Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Visualization of various stereo mic configurations  (Read 24817 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Visualization of various stereo mic configurations
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
Here is a fun link demonstrating the various stereo mic configurations.  You can vary the mic patterns and angles in real time within any of the listed configurations and see how your coverage is affected. 

DINa is not included seems DINa is never mentioned.  Who came up with DINa?  You can visualize it, however, by selecting the DIN configuration and changing the microphone distance from 0.20 to 0.17 meters.

I've duplicated this topic including the link in the TS Knowledge Base / Archive since it makes an excellent reference.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Visualization-ORTF-E.htm
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:36:54 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: Visualization of various stereo mic configurations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
very fun!
nice to see the additional info on arrays!

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »
This is a good resource for comparing differeces in mic setups if interpreted correctly.

Grey zone  = stereo recording angle (usually different than the angle between mics)
Colored lines = spatial distribution of individual sounds from pickup to playback

The colored bars tend to attract more attention in this visualization and help to understand some of the sonic differences between setups, but the size and limit of the grey zone is probably more important in the grand scheme of choosing a configuration for a specific recording location.

Other links to this visualization have been posted here a few times over the last few years. I remember a more in depth discussion of it at one point, which might be worth a search for anyone interested.

Here's another useful one that's been posted previously where you can enter different angles, spacing, patterns, delays, etc. and get similar data but in a different fomat- http://www.hauptmikrofon.de/ima2-folder/ImageAssistant2.html
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
Wow, the one you posted Gutbucket totally put me into sensory overload trying to figure it out. 

I really like the first one posted though.

My only comment on that first one would be that it would have been useful to include distances as inputs rather than Orchestra Angle...or they could have had the option for calculating that angle based on distances between speakers/orchestra and distance to mics so that the program could calculate the angle.  Reason is that I can't measure an angle, but I can approximate distances.

Otherwise, it looks like a cool little tool.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »
Reason is that I can't measure an angle, but I can approximate distances.

Approximating angles is easy:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137228.msg1784150#msg1784150
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:46:23 AM »

Approximating angles is easy:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137228.msg1784150#msg1784150

Nice Brian.  Thanks! 

I do remember now reading this suggestion, but had forgotten.

Wouldn't it be cool to have that somehow plugged into an iphone app where you could point the phone at the various extremes to get the angles and then enter the other info to get the SRA's in the field.  I know it can be done manually, but it would be pretty cool to have something that does it quick and easy from an electronic device.   

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »

Nice Brian.  Thanks! 

I do remember now reading this suggestion, but had forgotten.

Wouldn't it be cool to have that somehow plugged into an iphone app where you could point the phone at the various extremes to get the angles and then enter the other info to get the SRA's in the field.  I know it can be done manually, but it would be pretty cool to have something that does it quick and easy from an electronic device.

You could always use an inexpesive protractor (pictured below) to get the angles right.  Alternately there are several protractor apps available for the iPod Touch/iPhone too.  It would be awesome if the original program I linked were available in a mobile app.

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:45 PM »
The phone app thing would be sweet for those that carry a smart phone.

I've struggled with a protractor once or twice trying to sight read angles and it just didn't work for me 'off the flat page'.  Michael Williams (Stereo Zoom author) builds his own angle viewers out of a fish-eye peep-hole door lens.  I think he sells them too.  Nicely crafted beautiful wooden construction, but a bit big in pocket. http://www.mmad.info/MSS/mmss.htm  You look like a serious recordist when you pull that out!

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
Looks like you could also peep in on the neighbors or navigate by stars with that...or just keep it around in case Rover needs dentures.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:10 PM »
10 degree fist method works for me.  I have gotten a few odd looks occasionally doing it, which I usually consider a bonus.  A flowered young girl once asked as I pointed a fist towards the stage and squinted at it, "you seem so happy and mellow, what's up with that psychically punching out each of the performers thing?"  :laugh:

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:17:00 AM »
The Sengpielaudio Visualization is fun to play with.  I wanted to be able to compare a bunch of configurations for cardioid mics on the same sheet, so I drew a few up in a drafting program.  See attached PDF.  I modeled my Busman BSC1 mics and used them in the drawings for reference. ;D 

By studying the diagrams you can get a feel for how time delay and intensity are traded to vary the recording angle.  By comparing the four configurations at the bottom of the sheet (the angle between the mics is a constant 90 degrees), you can see that increasing the distance between mics (increasing inter-channel time delay) causes the recording angle to decrease.  By comparing ORTF and DINa (the distance between the mics is a constant 17cm), you can see that decreasing the angle between the mics (decreasing inter-channel level differences) causes the recording angle to increase. 

To increase the recording angle - move the mics closer together and/or decrease the angle between them
To decrease the recording angle - move the mics further apart and/or increase the angle between them

The Shure and Schoeps guides, with diagrams similar to this, don't include DIN or DINa. ??? It is nice to see most of the common cardioid configurations tapers use on one sheet. 

At Gutbucket:  Doesn't Williams call his contraption the "crocodile"?  I can see why...

-MIQ

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 04:33:35 PM »
bump...  I've got a pair of hypers and subs coming soon so I've been playing around with this.

One question though, what does "Orchestra angle mean?"

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
bump...  I've got a pair of hypers and subs coming soon so I've been playing around with this.

One question though, what does "Orchestra angle mean?"

Orchestra angle is 1/2 the angle formed between the left of your sound source and the right of your sound source with you at the vertex. The further back you are from your sound source the smaller this angle will be. The reason it's 1/2 the angle is that Orchestra Angle is expressed as a +/-
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
Ooohh...So the closer you get (say onstage) you might get an angle closer to +/- 50/60 depending on how far the band is spread out?

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »

Sweet now I know why I like XY for onstage
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com