Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Telefunken ELA M260 Stereo Set  (Read 30153 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Telefunken ELA M260 Stereo Set
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »
very nice mics, but dealing with tube power supplies at a remote venue is a PITA.

I don't really share this opinion, but I'm a big guy so extra gear is no big deal to me.  Besides the cost, the only thing tubes mics require is another box to carry in your bag and probably another battery, although the PSU could share a battery with another box if the battery is of sufficient capacity and voltage. 

It's been proven in a physics lab that tapers would go to any length, including swimming the English channel or walking the Sahara, in order to carry their own case of beer through the venue doors if allowed, so I've never been able to understand why tapers get their noses so disjointed about the extra weight of a little bit of extra gear or, say an SLA instead of a Li-ion.  :)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »
very nice mics, but dealing with tube power supplies at a remote venue is a PITA.

I don't really share this opinion, but I'm a big guy so extra gear is no big deal to me.  Besides the cost, the only thing tubes mics require is another box to carry in your bag and probably another battery, although the PSU could share a battery with another box if the battery is of sufficient capacity and voltage. 

It's been proven in a physics lab that tapers would go to any length, including swimming the English channel or walking the Sahara, in order to carry their own case of beer through the venue doors if allowed, so I've never been able to understand why tapers get their noses so disjointed about the extra weight of a little bit of extra gear or, say an SLA instead of a Li-ion.  :)

Less battery weight = more beer!  ;D :cheers:
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
Mmm, drool-worthy mics.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »

My batteries/bag act as ballast for my belly.  Since I add 'weight' to my belly during a show, the more stuff I have in my bag the safer I am to sail the sea of concert life.   :P

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

My batteries/bag act as ballast for my belly.  Since I add 'weight' to my belly during a show, the more stuff I have in my bag the safer I am to sail the sea of concert life.   :P

HAHAHA, you're sillly Steve. DEF missed ya at Dosio :) Youre a blast to roll with :) Now we have some Busman mics in da burgh :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »

that. is. awesome.  ;D :lol:

I'm sadly with norman on this one (although you are right, many tapers will go to extraordinary lengths...); I really like a nice run-n-gun style setup. If there was a 722 made in half the size, I'd probably buy it.  :P
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »
I'm currently packing so much gear that I need 2 large bags, probably weighing close to 75 lbs. My full rig is usually 3 sets of mics (often including 414's), a dr-680, v3, a big stand, 2 small onstage stands, cables (including a few extras for that unexpected whatever), power supplies, and a bag full of adapters and other hardware. Super low profile...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
I spent most of last night listening to all of the ELA M260 samples that I could find and I have to say I am very impressed.
Pretty sure there will be a pair in my future  >:D
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
I spent most of last night listening to all of the ELA M260 samples that I could find and I have to say I am very impressed.

Oh yeah....some tubular magic coming to NEPA....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »

The only one I found I thought the bass was very bloated and boomy. Can you provide some links to more samples?

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »
The only one I found I thought the bass was very bloated and boomy. Can you provide some links to more samples?

Dig through these.... http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=telefunken%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

I think this one really shines.... http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2010-08-29.m260.flac16

There are also some down-loadable samples linked on a few threads over on gearslutz as well.

I'm not so much a fan of the recordings made in the big arena-type rooms(dead, further,etc...), but I really like the recordings made outdoors, in smaller rooms and stage lip(which covers 99% of what I record).

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
Thanks! The recordings with the hyper caps made by the Telefunken guy in the larger arenas are better than the show I sampled. Definitely not as boomy. I'm sure it would have been much better if it was recorded using hypers or maybe some roll off.

Edit to add: That Penns Landing recording is sick!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:50:56 AM by ts »

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »

I was going to suggest the MMJ tape he did, that was also fantastic.

Agreed! Killer recording!
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
Just picked up the field set at the Namm show on Sunday. will post pics later, cant wait to try them in the field.

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
Just picked up the field set at the Namm show on Sunday. will post pics later, cant wait to try them in the field.

Congrats on the new mics!!  :clapping:

Looking forward to hearing some samples and your opinions of these mics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com