Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: When to/and not to use Sub-cards? (AT853's)  (Read 5293 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
When to/and not to use Sub-cards? (AT853's)
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »
Hey everyone, I got a show tonight (Megadeth) at the Theater at MSG and have a decent seat in section 205...should I roll the Subs or just the plain old Cards?  I think Omni's are out since I imagine their will be quite a bit of crowd noise.  Any help is appreciated   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: When to/and not to use Sub-cards? (AT853's)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
205 looks to be off to the left. Is it  >:D? Regardless, subs seem like the right choice since you won't get much stereo image from there.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »
205 looks to be off to the left. Is it  >:D? Regardless, subs seem like the right choice since you won't get much stereo image from there.

hehe, yup.   I'll roll the subs, I'm curious to see how they'll perform in a larger venue.  When shouldn't I use them?   If I was far back?   

tia!

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
You wanna use sub-cardioids at MSG?  :o

I don't think that's a good idea at all. You will want as much reverberation rejection as possible in there..

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »
Use them when taping on-stage, above stage, outdoors...

Honestly, there are not nearly as many good use-cases for sub-cardioids in concert recording as there are for hypers.

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »
Thanks for the comments...I'm a newb to the sub-cards so hence my cluelessness.  I'll go with the cards...I'm not particularly fond of the hypers (haven't pulled a good recording with them in ages). 

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
You will want as much reverberation rejection as possible in there..

Thats the question I ask when i select a pattern to use.

Honestly, there are not nearly as many good use-cases for sub-cardioids in concert recording as there are for hypers.

Agreed, the only time I'd use subcards indoors is if I was on stage or stage lip and needed a more open pattern to create a pleasant soundstage. Outdoors has greater potential, especially with small stages or quiet stages where you might be close to the stage.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
You wanna use sub-cardioids at MSG?  :o

I don't think that's a good idea at all. You will want as much reverberation rejection as possible in there..

QFT. Even in the theatre at MSG, that's the wrong place for that type of mic unless you are REALLY close.

The 853 cards perform nicely.  I'd never recommend the 853 hypers, but the cards should be good there.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline George

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »
Yup, everything went well...I was pretty close (~50' from the stage right stack).  Listening to Megadeth right now, sounds decent.  Short show though, Megadeth alone only performed for 67 minutes.   Lacuna Coil performed for ~20 minutes (was expecting a 45 minute set, Volbeat (pretty damn good) and Motorhead (yawn) performed for 45 minutes each.   

Thanks again for steering me away from the sub-cards, it was a clap-happy crowd and I imagine I would be cursing right now.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
You will want as much reverberation rejection as possible in there..

Thats the question I ask when i select a pattern to use.

Agreed, the only time I'd use subcards indoors is if I was on stage or stage lip and needed a more open pattern to create a pleasant soundstage. Outdoors has greater potential, especially with small stages or quiet stages where you might be close to the stage.

I used the sub-cards recently to tape at a handful of small venues in the village (Zinc Bar, Kenny's Castaways, Sullivan Hall) for the Winter Jazz Festival and everything sounded great, I was very impressed with the sub-cards on my first night out with them.    Since I normally  >:D, I never have opportunities to try things like stage lip or on stage.

This is probably the ignorant taper in me:  I always think of which mikes to use based on distance from the PA, so reverberation rejection is certainly something new to me to think about.   I'm certainly pleased with the recordings I pulled tonight with the card capsules (and a baseball cap!).   

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
This is probably the ignorant taper in me:  I always think of which mikes to use based on distance from the PA, so reverberation rejection is certainly something new to me to think about.   I'm certainly pleased with the recordings I pulled tonight with the card capsules (and a baseball cap!).

Not necessarily bad, and indoors that's probably a fairly decent rule of thumb actually. The catch comes when you have strange rooms that are really narrow and you catch more side bounce than a room that is oriented wider than long. Outdoors though, when you are far away, short of ditching crowd noise, there isn't much that a hypercard will do for you in trade for any diminishment of natural sound that may occur due (e.g. the "wet paper-towel effect").
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline George

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
Hey Page, could you describe the wet paper towel effect?  tia!

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
Hey Page, could you describe the wet paper towel effect?  tia!

it just sort of sounds like you are covering the mics with a wet paper towel. Moke was the original one I saw use it and I knew what he was talking about. I'd have to sit and think about how to describe it in other terms though...

Offline kinglerxst

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
I have used the 853 style sub-cards on my 933's a number of times now and am very happy with them. I ran them in direct comparison with the cards (two rigs running) and each one I prefer the sub-cards a little more, not that there's anything wrong with the card versions. These shows were in 1000-2000 seat theaters and about 15-20 rows back and pretty much dead center.

As far as location, if it's in a spot I was unsure about, like off to the side or at a venue I had never been in, I'd go with cards as they are going to be the safest choice, but the only real way to tell where the sub-cards will/won't work is to actually try them in those locations. Not something you can always do if you need to play it safe to make sure a good recording comes out using the cards, but if you can run 2 rigs or someone is rolling next to you (or elsewhere) it might be worth experimenting with.

As far as crowd noise, I think the sub-cards act more card wise than omni wise with crowd noise, they do allow a little bit more in, but not overwhelming like the omni's can get. But the sub-cards also give a little more of the omni advantage in bass response and fullness than the cards.

Overall though, I think the sub-cards deserve more attention than they get and I will definitely be trying them in more situations.

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
It's funny that AT isn't producing them anymore.

I have used the 853 style sub-cards on my 933's a number of times now and am very happy with them. I ran them in direct comparison with the cards (two rigs running) and each one I prefer the sub-cards a little more, not that there's anything wrong with the card versions. These shows were in 1000-2000 seat theaters and about 15-20 rows back and pretty much dead center.

As far as location, if it's in a spot I was unsure about, like off to the side or at a venue I had never been in, I'd go with cards as they are going to be the safest choice, but the only real way to tell where the sub-cards will/won't work is to actually try them in those locations. Not something you can always do if you need to play it safe to make sure a good recording comes out using the cards, but if you can run 2 rigs or someone is rolling next to you (or elsewhere) it might be worth experimenting with.

As far as crowd noise, I think the sub-cards act more card wise than omni wise with crowd noise, they do allow a little bit more in, but not overwhelming like the omni's can get. But the sub-cards also give a little more of the omni advantage in bass response and fullness than the cards.

Overall though, I think the sub-cards deserve more attention than they get and I will definitely be trying them in more situations.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.189 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com