Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running split omni's  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lágrimas de Sangre - Guayasamín
Running split omni's
« on: August 06, 2006, 04:13:29 PM »
Running splits is something I was toying around with trying (I have C4's) and was wondering about how everyone does it.  With regards to running FOB and running on the stage lip, just not too sure about placement et al.  As well as running a matrix with them, just wonderin.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 04:15:08 PM by Javit »

Nobility is expensive, nonproductive and parasitic, siphoning away too much of society's energy to satisfy its frivolous cravings.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: Running split omni's
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:40:04 AM »
I love to run split omnis.

On-stage, or stage lip is great, but you have to watch out for monitors. They can throw off the mix and image if you are too close. I try to keep the mics centered on the band, but you have to keep your distance from drum kits and amps. I usually spread them around 6ft, never gone less than 3ft.
Once went as wide as around 15ft for a couple JMP shows, but the way the band was set up allowed for it.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:24:37 AM »
I personally would not run split omnis at the stage lip.  I would go further back, definitely FOB but not too extreme FOB.  If it is a real stadium type show, no closer than 25-30 feet from the stage.  Minimum 2 feet apart....ideally 4 or more feet apart.  The closer you are to the stage and if you are set about running at 4 or more feet apart, the more of a hole in the middle you are gonna have.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:59:03 AM »
javit-or get a j-disc made and do it that way, a spaced sound w/ out spacing, you onl;y have to deal w/ one stand this way and you can pull just as good of a tape IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:25:13 AM »
For festivals and outdoor shows, split omnis can't be beat.  I like to run the Gefell omnis at a 4' split if I am taping 25' or so from the stage, but I have run them from farther away as well.  Don't split them too wide or you get a hole in your soundstage.  I just ran at a 1' split for a Mule show because I had the only stand there and while not ideal by any means, it turned out better than I thought.  Bring a clamp no matter what so you can clamp onto somebody else's stand to get a split.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »
I ran 20 feet split at a Crowes show outdoors last month and loved it.  The key to me is more height than anyting else.  The farther the split the higher I've run.  The Jdisk is a cool new toy but as easy as it is to me it does not give a true representation like actually splitting omnis.   

I don't think I would ever run them indoors though.  Maybe stage lip but how many bands truly use the the sound of their instruments without the uneven levels of monitors and the like.

Here is the 24 bit of the aformentioned Crowes split.
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=26867

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 03:19:25 PM »
I just ran MK2's split about 12' at around 100' from stage at Rockygrass.  I really like how they turned out despite the fact that I was caught in public running Schoeps.:scared:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 03:27:46 PM »
I just ran MK2's split about 12' at around 100' from stage at Rockygrass.  I really like how they turned out despite the fact that I was caught in public running Schoeps.:scared:

If the first seed or two is an indication, those recordings turned out mighty fine.  Makes me wish I had the MK2s for my Schoeps.  :drool:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 03:46:29 PM »
I made a bar that splits omni's 42" on one stand. It worked pretty well from the section at Red Rocks. I've even heard a 12" split sound good. Doug Oade made a "critically spaced omni" recording at the Greek Theatre once that is awesome to hear. He split the mics ~7" and pointed them out the sides at 180 degrees to each other! I've heard excellent recordings made with up to 12-15 feet separation. As with any recording, experiment and take notes. I have a pair of MSH-1A's (omni's) on the way. I can't wait to experiement with them...  :coolguy:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kskreider

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 04:01:22 PM »

If the first seed or two is an indication, those recordings turned out mighty fine.  Makes me wish I had the MK2s for my Schoeps.  :drool:

Why thank you, Brian.   :coolguy:  I need to listen to your posted Blumlein recording still.

While those are only two of about 8 or so that we got using the V3, I am curious about how the V3-less DAT's came out.  I'll upload the Uncle Earl and Abigail sets to the SPPS FTP, but will work on throwing up our Manzanita set in the next day or two.

Also, if you grabbed my YMSB set please note the filenames are incorrectly labeled as 7/29 and not the correct date of 7/28.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69685.0

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 04:12:04 PM »

Just for clarification, are we talking about the MK2 or the MK2S? Thank you!
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

kskreider

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »

MK2

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »
we just did this talk a few days ago...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69293.0

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 05:58:49 PM »

MK2

Thank you very much. I have heard thatthe MK2S is a bit better for ambiant recording due to the hf emphasis. :hmmm: Need to hear those Rockygrass recordings - thanks +T
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com