Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Avantone CK-1  (Read 35126 times)

Offline rdflash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
Re: Avantone CK-1
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2007, 11:20:09 PM »
I would offer online purchasing power on their website...but, then again I do not own the business ;)

Think of it this way... if they did, we might end up paying the same price or maybe more for the mics... The added cost of creating the staff and resources needed to sell direct would defeat the purpose... music stores and websites are already set up to sell direct to customers.

Also, if I owned a music store and I had to compete against my own supplier, what would my motivation be to carry that manufacturer's product?

Valid points.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline nem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2007, 02:21:01 AM »
If they were purple I'd already have a set.
sometimes they get deep inside a jam and there is no such thing as up or down, just a momentary endless floating in perfect space
BSC1>cables!>acm660/busmod660/D7

Offline majormidi

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Glen -National Sales Manager - Avant Electronics
    • Avant Electronics
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2007, 12:46:01 PM »
I would offer online purchasing power on their website...but, then again I do not own the business ;)

Think of it this way... if they did, we might end up paying the same price or maybe more for the mics... The added cost of creating the staff and resources needed to sell direct would defeat the purpose... music stores and websites are already set up to sell direct to customers.

Also, if I owned a music store and I had to compete against my own supplier, what would my motivation be to carry that manufacturer's product?

Bingo!

-glen
Avant Electronics

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »

Bingo!

-glen
Avant Electronics

Beer mark-up is roughly 23 percent...from working and doing inventory and prices on the computer at my relative's beer distributor...I would imagine audio equipment is pretty high  >:D
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »
Just a quick heads up here, I just ordered a pair of these for $99 a piece to play around with from here:

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Avant_Electronics_CK_1_FET_Pencil_Microphone_p/9683.htm

Although I do feel $149 a piece is still a great deal for mics with 3 caps.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2007, 09:14:16 PM »
Just a quick heads up here, I just ordered a pair of these for $99 a piece to play around with from here:

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Avant_Electronics_CK_1_FET_Pencil_Microphone_p/9683.htm

I ordered a pair earlier this week from Star Pro Audio at that price. Two days later they sent me an email saying that 1)the price has gone up and 2) they were out of stock.  So I bought KLowe's for $99 and then picked one up $149.

But, I honestly didn't mind paying a little more
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Roving Sign

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »

I ordered a pair earlier this week from Star Pro Audio at that price. Two days later they sent me an email saying that 1)the price has gone up and 2) they were out of stock.  So I bought KLowe's for $99 and then picked one up $149.

But, I honestly didn't mind paying a little more

Cool - be nice to hear the impressions of a SP C4 user... ;)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2007, 03:44:32 AM »
if you guys cant afford to pay a measly $300 for a pair of brand new ck-1s with three sets of caps then you should think about buying something else.  instead, y'all are trying to haggle with the man who put in all the work to make them available at such an affordable price when you should be thanking him for making them so affordable.  $300 is already super cheap and if you want the company to stay around buy the mics at the current price point.

Really! & With shockmounts.

T+
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2007, 07:50:04 AM »
if you guys cant afford to pay a measly $300 for a pair of brand new ck-1s with three sets of caps then you should think about buying something else.  instead, y'all are trying to haggle with the man who put in all the work to make them available at such an affordable price when you should be thanking him for making them so affordable.  $300 is already super cheap and if you want the company to stay around buy the mics at the current price point.

Really! & With shockmounts.

T+

Definitely.  This package doesn't pussyfoot in the least from what I read and hear.  If a camera wasn't next on my list, you can bet I'd be on these right now.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2007, 02:35:53 PM »
Just got them in the mail!

My new twins.....

Some shots of DIN-A for those hyper moments (yes, I know those aren't the hyper caps on there)

Free Umphrey's and Biscuits show tomorrow for Green Apple Fest. I just Might have to give these a go!
Edirol R-1

Roving Sign

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2007, 10:55:20 PM »
Ran onstage with the Avantone CK1 cardioids last night - ORTF

http://www.archive.org/details/londonfile2007-04-20
(I think tracks 6-8 - the soundguy, who runs in mono, absentmindedly pushed the unused main fader (right) down...I caught it a few songs later...)

Only Vocals, Drums (3 mics) and Keyboards in the soundboard mix - the rest (bass and guitars) is the 'tones from the stage...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:06:28 AM by Roving Sign »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2007, 09:05:07 AM »
I just listened to all of the ck1 recordings in this thread.  Damn, these are freaking nice microphones.

BTW, Keller Williams is a rambling fool   :really_sucks:  I can't stand his style.  First time I saw him I really enjoyed the show, now I just wish he would fall of the planet or join a band.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Roving Sign

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2007, 10:15:03 AM »
Note on shockmount bands: (Ken pointed out that there are extras...shipped on the mount - so take few off)

These work MUCH BETTER with the extra bands removed...much easier to place the mic in the mount and it feels like it has a little more "bounce" in the mount...excellent!

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »
So i just got back from my first taping experience w/ the ck-1s.  Beautiful sunny day in Chicago, so I headed out to the Green Apple fest in honor of earth day. Lots of free concerts at the Lincoln Park Zoo, so I figured I would go and catch Umphrey's McGee. Overall I'm not a huge fan, but I enjoy them enough to make it my inaugural run. First off, the paint job on these mics look really sweet in the sunlight. They have a sparkle to them.

Someone in this thread mentioned something about one of the rubber bands shooting off on their shock mount. Yeah, that happened to me as well today. Popped off and have no idea which direction it went. I wrote it off as a loss. I also didn't have any the extras in my gear bag. Not the end of the world. So the spot I had was dead center maybe 35-40 feet back from the stage. Overall a great taping location. I ran the cards in DIN and put on the dead rats as it was a little windy today and I haven't purchased windscreens for these yet.

As I'm sitting here now listening to the show, all I can say is wow!  Very full sounding through the entire spectrum. I ran the CK-1s > apogee mini-mp > edirol R-1. A very nice sounding recording. Once I get a chance to track it out and such, i will post in on the LMA for those interested in hearing yet another great example why these mics are awesome!
Edirol R-1

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »

they are now $149 at Front End Audio.
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com