Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG c460 thoughts...  (Read 24040 times)

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AKG c460 thoughts...
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »
akg does not make 460's anymore.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 08:29:45 AM »
Chuck...
if you ever have any interest in trading mics for a month or so..., hit me up.
then you can get a real feel for them.

the JWms are ..., detailed up the wazoo. 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »
Chuck...
if you ever have any interest in trading mics for a month or so..., hit me up.
then you can get a real feel for them.

the JWms are ..., detailed up the wazoo. 

Thanks for the, generous, offer. +T!
I will contact you if I decide to go that route.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »
Can the CK1/2/3x active caps be run with a lemo > miniXLR cable into the standard 9V 3-wire battery boxes that are commonplace around these parts now?
Ive been trying to find out something similar to this about whether the lemosax could safely run these caps as well.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2007, 09:21:11 AM »
Can the CK1/2/3x active caps be run with a lemo > miniXLR cable into the standard 9V 3-wire battery boxes that are commonplace around these parts now?
Ive been trying to find out something similar to this about whether the lemosax could safely run these caps as well.

I feel like someone just has to be the ginea pig and try it ....

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2007, 09:29:01 AM »

I feel like someone just has to be the ginea pig and try it ....

It's all you if you want to try :)
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2007, 09:44:40 AM »
I sent an email to Sonosax regarding the Lemosax and CK1x capsules back in April of '07.

I received a reply from Sonosax regarding if the CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x capsules will work in conjunction with the Lemosax. Here is the email reply I received from them:

Dear John,

thank you for your message.

The AKG CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x also works with our SONOSAX SX-M2/LS, as we did some
testing in the past.

Just make sure that the pinning is fully compatible with our system

LEMO in L: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in
LEMO in R: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX
Sales and Customer Support

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »
I sent an email to Sonosax regarding the Lemosax and CK1x capsules back in April of '07.

I received a reply from Sonosax regarding if the CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x capsules will work in conjunction with the Lemosax. Here is the email reply I received from them:

Dear John,

thank you for your message.

The AKG CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x also works with our SONOSAX SX-M2/LS, as we did some
testing in the past.

Just make sure that the pinning is fully compatible with our system

LEMO in L: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in
LEMO in R: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX
Sales and Customer Support

Awesome. Thanks John.

I wonder if that would sound nice...

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
I have posted a sample / comparison of 4022's->V3 vs. AKG460jw->V3 both sampling at 1644
An acoustic recording from first row dfc. Both mics on same stand, same height (give or take a couple of inches).

AKG460jw_actives_cards_DINA-A_17cm90º->V3 by Goose
DPA4022_DIN-A_17cm90º->V3 by Moke

ftp:www.tapers.org
user:ftp4all
pw:ftp4all
drive1 : find-> 4022_vs_460jw_comp

this is a movement of Bach Brandenberg Concerto for flute and violin (??bwv?? I'll look it up)
this is a movement of Bach Brandenburg Concerto in G Major: Andante (2nd movement) BWV1049

Thanks for the comp... must say, I find the 4022 source to be quite noticeably better... not as harsh, more nicely rounded, with just slightly more detail.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
I have posted a sample / comparison of 4022's->V3 vs. AKG460jw->V3 both sampling at 1644
An acoustic recording from first row dfc. Both mics on same stand, same height (give or take a couple of inches).

this is a movement of Bach Brandenberg Concerto for flute and violin (??bwv?? I'll look it up)
this is a movement of Bach Brandenburg Concerto in G Major: Andante (2nd movement) BWV1049

Thanks for the comp... must say, I find the 4022 source to be quite noticeably better... not as harsh, more nicely rounded, with just slightly more detail.

I haven't listened to this comp in a few years, but I agree with your assessment.  However, the JW Mods sound fantastic considering the price point compared to the DPA's.  A fraction of the cost for the majority of the sound IMO.  Great budget HQ mics if you ask me.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »

I haven't listened to this comp in a few years, but I agree with your assessment.  However, the JW Mods sound fantastic considering the price point compared to the DPA's.  A fraction of the cost for the majority of the sound IMO.  Great budget HQ mics if you ask me.

Oh, I definitely agree there, but the question for me is whether the JW mod is actually worth the extra 400 bucks over the stock bodies... all the comps I've heard don't suggest it is... that's to my ears though.

Comparing anything to 4022's will make you like your own mics a little less I think, unless you are fortunate enough to own a pair.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
I think the stock 460's are a better match to the V3, I find the JW mods to be just a bit strident with it. Just my opinion.  Id like to hear them into a mine-me or an ad1k.  Wonder what an MP-2 would sound like with the JW's?
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2007, 10:10:49 PM »

Oh, I definitely agree there, but the question for me is whether the JW mod is actually worth the extra 400 bucks over the stock bodies... all the comps I've heard don't suggest it is... that's to my ears though.

Comparing anything to 4022's will make you like your own mics a little less I think, unless you are fortunate enough to own a pair.

IMHO the JW Mod 460's do not pair up nicely with the V3 (which is the pre used in this comp). I tried that combo a few times and would never do it again. Very bright, harsh and brittle sounding.

Now on the other hand, put the JW mods in front of an aerco mp2, and to my ears, that's about as good as it gets. Night and day difference between JW mods > V3 and JW mods > aerco.

I am not trying to diss the comp Moke put together, just wanted to let people know that there is a more compatible preamp than the V3 for the JW mods that may change your opinion about getting the mod done to your 460's.

-John
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »
I'd like to hear the same comp but straight into a 7xx ... or a stock vs JW mod comp into a 7xx.. if anyone could throw that together, that'd be great.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »
I think the stock 460's are a better match to the V3, I find the JW mods to be just a bit strident with it. Just my opinion.  Id like to hear them into a mine-me or an ad1k.  Wonder what an MP-2 would sound like with the JW's?

sound devices or aerco?

i've run both  ;D

found the SD mp-2 to be a little to fat sounding and not as much detail with the mics as other pres
http://www.archive.org/details/rse2006-02-22.akg461.flac16

aerco is fucking beautiful with these mics, with further testing i would possibly buy one down the road
here's a recent show from High Sierra, i think it sounds very nice

YMSB -JWmod 461 > aerco mp2 > 722
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508223

i would like to run a MME some time as well, hmmm paging James...  ;D

I'd like to hear the same comp but straight into a 7xx ... or a stock vs JW mod comp into a 7xx.. if anyone could throw that together, that'd be great.

we have the capability of JWmod v stock in LA, Justin and I have been meaning to do a stock v JWmod >722 comp for a while but just haven't done it, maybe tomorrow for TLG...
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com